January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

I’m over this window now…if it stays as it is, it’s an incredibly disappointing window.  So let’s have a laugh!

Our squad is weaker, I can’t imagine Emery is happy and it’s a missed opportunity.  

Some fans have some BS apologies that I got bored with reading at lunchtime and have no interest in discussing anymore, I’m never going to agree with them so what’s the point.  So just having a bit of fun, and just watching in case anything happens at last minute however unlikely.

Disappointing window, squad weaker but time to get back to focusing of the games left.

How about training Nick? Seven players who knew that they weren't going to start or may even not get minutes on a match day are no longer with us. Surely that must raise the positive vibes for the rest of the squad, and the young additions who may get drafted into training.

• Like 1

Basically, we're trying to dine at the top table but because our reputation at the moment isn't upto snuff we're feeding off scraps which we could find at the next table down. Plus it's January. I think we're fine now with Bertie coming back, it would be nice to have another new player because we all like nice things, but sometimes in life we don't get what we want! There'll be chances for some youngsters to impress so let's get the best out of it!

2 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

How about training Nick? Seven players who knew that they weren't going to start or may even not get minutes on a match day are no longer with us. Surely that must raise the positive vibes for the rest of the squad, and the young additions who may get drafted into training.

As I said I’m no longer engaging in the debate, I’ve said my piece.  People hear enough of my views, I’ll let others discuss pros and cons for the rest of tonight. I’m just here for news, jokes and gifs.

• Like 1

We have moved on the players that won't feature, mostly on loan but some permanently. That's good.

We have a thin squad but with 1 game a week until the end of the season we can hopefully injury avoiding be ok and still get some good results.

We seemingly either didn't want to pay what was being asked now for the players we wanted, or they didn't want to join which would be more of a worry. The reasons for being unable to convince targets to join would be interesting to know. 

There is also a risk that the players we wanted now will be even more costly in the summer right? My only frustration is we always seems to be waiting for "next summer" or "next preseason" and then we can progress. The problem is while we are doing that other teams are doing just that. 

That's my general frustration. It's not a dig at the owners, just my concerns moving forwards. 

We have a great manager and I trust he will get the backing he needs.

• Like 1

22/23

• Duran
  • Moreno

21/22

• Coutinho (loan)
  • Digne
  • Chambers

20/21

• Sanson

19/20

• Samatta
  • Borja
  • Pepe Reina (loan)
  • Drinkwater (loan)

18/19

• Kalinic
  • Guilbert
  • Carroll (loan)
  • Mings (loan)
  • Hause (loan)

17/18

• Grabban (loan)
  • Tuanzebe (loan)

Pretty dire list of the last 5 years. Aside from Grabban/Tuanzebe/Mings/Hause on loan. Mings the biggest one there.

Might have been better off not doing any business for the money that went down the drain.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

As I said I’m no longer engaging in the debate, I’ve said my piece.  People hear enough of my views, I’ll let others discuss pros and cons for the rest of tonight. I’m just here for news, jokes and gifs.

I'm not knocking you Nick, I'm just looking at the positives. I remember you when you were really upbeat about Villa and I looked forward to reading your posts. I hope you can get back to that frame of mind soon. Cheers.

3 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

There is also a risk that the players we wanted now will be even more costly in the summer right? My only frustration is we always seems to be waiting for "next summer" or "next preseason" and then we can progress. The problem is while we are doing that other teams are doing just that.

I always take January more as a case of players outright aren't available let alone cost more, more reluctance to sell, if we want the Brazilian guy from betis they've now got 6 months to scout a replacement so their willingness to sell could increase

And personally I've not seen anyone do much of anything this window, not much out there that's given me green eyes, even Newcastle £45m for Gordon would any of us take that and be happy just cos we spent some money? I wouldn't, Brentford and Brighton bought players that seemingly won't immediately start for them and almost definitley not for us

• Like 1

Well I am surprised we didn't bring anyone else in as I really thought we would but I'm not too bothered about it. Getting rid of some deadwood in the squad has been a big plus this window. 

I've never for one second thought about European qualification this season, even now after the decent run with Emery. We have to hope Liverpool and Chelsea don't turn things around and then still have to hope Brentford, Fulham and Brighton all have a complete meltdown? It's a bit delusional. Our form has been good but we won't sustain this, at least I'm not entirely convinced we will by our performances. 

I've said it time and time again, top half would be fantastic. Finish in the top 10 for the first time in over a decade and then think about Europe. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I always take January more as a case of players outright aren't available let alone cost more, more reluctance to sell, if we want the Brazilian guy from betis they've now got 6 months to scout a replacement so their willingness to sell could increase

And personally I've not seen anyone do much of anything this window, not much out there that's given me green eyes, even Newcastle £45m for Gordon would any of us take that and be happy just cos we spent some money? I wouldn't, Brentford and Brighton bought players that seemingly won't immediately start for them and almost definitley not for us

A very sensible and well thought out post. There hasn't been one player within our budget that have gone elsewhere that I would have really wanted. I'm afraid there are guys on here that want everything now no matter what the cost. Well fortunately our people do not subscribe to that view which is why we will end up a very successful club

• Like 1

Think we're going to have a block buster of a summer window & probablybreak our transfer record on more than 1 occasion, we've cleared the decks of players that won't feature & I'm looking forward to seeing how Duran will adjust to the Premier league. Not worried about rumours players did want to come here because not convinced about the project, we got Kamara here in the summer over some big clubs chasing him. The qoute from the film Feild of Dreams " if you build it they will come"

9 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

I'm not knocking you Nick, I'm just looking at the positives. I remember you when you were really upbeat about Villa and I looked forward to reading your posts. I hope you can get back to that frame of mind soon. Cheers.

I’m incredibly upbeat about the Villa.  

I love the owners, I’m a massive fan of Emery and I love what the club are doing with the youth and stadium.  

I think there needs surgery on this squad though and while we’ve got some of the fringe out which is good, for me this was an opportunity on upside with this squad, to give Emery some additional tools to keep the upbeat run going,  we can continue without that but he could’ve done, as he said, with some additional players.  

I also don’t think it will be any easier to get players in the summer, it may even be harder with the players and positions we’ll be looking at and other clubs interested.  

So I’m massively upbeat with the Villa generally, I just have decades of association with this club when they continually fail to take opportunities.  

Overall, outside of this transfer window, I’m incredibly upbeat about Villa.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

11:59pm - we finally have some news for Villa fans. We can indeed now confirm that Wesley Moraes has been recalled from his loan spell at Levante.

Would be 59 minutes late mate!

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1