January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

13 minutes ago, Nigel said:

Problem being what if no one we want is available?

What happens if that’s the same in the summer.  That’s why we have a recruitment department to understand everything and identify players that something can happen.  The summer could worse because we’ll probably have more competition from other clubs.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Nigel said:

Problem being what if no one we want is available?

Maybe so, but in that case you don’t weaken the squad until you have replacements in the bag.

• Like 1

It would appear we are done.

Getting past the frustration of not getting any deals over the line it has been one monumental clear out. Something we appeared to have been struggling to do for some time. Impressive.

Just now, jim said:

Maybe so, but in that case you don’t weaken the squad until you have replacements in the bag.

And let's face it we should have been gearing up for this window from the minute Unai was announced, sounding out teams/players for their willingness to sell/come to us. 

Selling players is mostly reactive, I get that, you can't sell players if no-one picks up the phone to us. If they do, sometimes you have to quickly weigh up opportunities. I don't really have a problem with how we've gone about this part. Good business. 

Buying players, though is much more proactive. That's why if it finishes like this I will be very disappointed. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, jim said:

Will be a massive missed opportunity if we don't strengthen this window when we are in touching distance of the top 6.

I don't buy into this line of "it's only 18 games left, we'll make do" It's half a season FFS. 

If you can't get deals over the line then that is just the way it is.

Signing players in January is 95% of the time a mugs game. Always has been.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, HKP90 said:

And let's face it we should have been gearing up for this window from the minute Unai was announced, sounding out teams/players for their willingness to sell/come to us. 

Selling players is mostly reactive, I get that, you can't sell players if no-one picks up the phone to us. If they do, sometimes you have to quickly weigh up opportunities. I don't really have a problem with how we've gone about this part. Good business. 

Buying players, though is much more proactive. That's why if it finishes like this I will be very disappointed. 

How do you know we weren't?

56 minutes ago, Viloon said:

This is the transfer thread, can people start posting dodgy transfer links please so we can at least spend today with false hope of signings, it is deadline day after all.

All the broken record conversations can carry on tomorrow 😂

Am on it pal, expect more dodgy links psoted. HERE WE GO! ;)

1 hour ago, DaveAV1 said:

This is what people fail to realise. Players don’t sign 18 game contracts, unless they’re loans. We’re finally planning for the future with an elite manager. Mistakes we may make now and have made in the past, will and are affecting us for years.

We’ve haven’t been in a stronger position for years. Let’s not go back to zero with short term thinking based on a fairly small chance to get into a fairly rubbish European competition. 

And it’s not like we’ve weakened the team,  people were screaming for us to sell all the players that have left after the Stevenage game and now they are moaning. They also moan about giving youth a chance, we buy a 19 year old striker then they moan we can’t trust him. Don’t get me wrong I had mixed emotions about selling Ings but it was a good fee for a player on big wages and rarely featuring in the first team. We’ve spent 30m in this window , the teams down the bottom can scramble and sign all the players they want for an overinflated fee it won’t make difference they will go down regardless.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, gwi1890 said:

Don’t get me wrong I had mixed emotions about selling Ings but it was a good fee for a player on big wages and rarely featuring in the first team.

Our top goalscorer 🤔

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Some January loans work out…

Yes some do but I don’t see your point here Nick? We signed Mings as an improvement for our championship team not as a stop gap. I doubt we’ll be signing Pau Torres on a loan to buy.

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

Our top goalscorer 🤔

Yes true but it was an opportunity to sell at a decent fee, Like I said I had mixed emotions about it, I’ve said countless that he was the best finisher at the club but it was a move he wanted and Emery was happy for him to go. 

Just now, gwi1890 said:

Yes some do but I don’t see your point here Nick? We signed Mings as an improvement for our championship team not as a stop gap. I doubt we’ll be signing Pau Torres on a loan to buy.

Just offsetting the likes of Simon Dawkins comments.  Yes, if the club choose a bad transfers then it happens but there is also some good transfers whether loan or permanent.

• Like 2