January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

26 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

we've trimmed some of the fat, not lost a limb.” - I’m so using that in the next resourcing meeting I attend when I take Betty and Mildred out of that team and put ‘em with that lot on ‘t second floor. 😂

do you work for "Slimming World"?

47 minutes ago, TRO said:

I'm not comparing him with JJ, someone else did.

There is 2 ways of looking at foul stats, and some can be unlucky decisions......shows commitment.

Stats are useful, but don't always tell you what you see, watching games.....Its also widely accepted getting called up for England, is a decent endorsement....when you think it took Jack some doing.

I would suspect, that many fans would welcome a Gallagher signing, just not at the expense of Guendouzi.

I think Gallagher would be a poor signing for the club. I don't see what he can clearly offer more than players like JJ, McGinn, Buendia and would kinda just means we've added numbers to a position with minimal benefit vs what we've got. Guendouzi is a cut above any midfielder we have with exception of Kamara

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Again that depends on injuries to Bailey. 

I get your points there, well made. What I would add though is do you think Ollie can step it up, because he's been a 1: 5 striker, and if you extrapolate his goals out either including or excluding the Gerrard regime, he's only got another 5 in him this season. We desperately need goals. 

He had an exceptional scoring record in the last season he was in the championship (nearly 1 in 1, and almost equal numbers of goals with his right, left, and head), and a nearly 1 in 3 record our first season up.  He's better than what he's currently showing and I do back Emery to get more out of him over time.

Clearly won't achieve championship like figures but no reason to think he won't get back to 1 in 3 with a proper coach and some belief.

Re: injury, see the edit I added to my previous post. Injury is a real concern.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I don't know why, but I've just got a very good feeling about Dhuran.

I hope we don't come undone and Dhuran can take the pressure off WatkinsIn an ordinary world two strikers would be enough but if one gets injured, what happens tomorrow could have a big impact on our season.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

He had an exceptional scoring record in the last season he was in the championship (nearly 1 in 1, and almost equal numbers of goals with his right, left, and head), and a nearly 1 in 3 record our first season up.  He's better than what he's currently showing and I do back Emery to get more out of him over time.

Clearly won't achieve championship like figures but no reason to think he won't get back to 1 in 3 with a proper coach and some belief.

Re: injury, see the edit I added to my previous post. Injury is a real concern.

I agree with that. It all comes down to Ollie, really. He's got a pretty good injury record, but 18 games is a long old time. 

1 minute ago, CVByrne said:

I think Gallagher would be a poor signing for the club. I don't see what he can clearly offer more than players like JJ, McGinn, Buendia and would kinda just means we've added numbers to a position with minimal benefit vs what we've got. Guendouzi is a cut above any midfielder we have with exception of Kamara

Workrate and pressing.

If you think in terms of the first 11 as opposed to the squad 25, you might have more of a point.....but I am talking squad.

I think in general, he is better than McGinn and Buendia.....and judging by his inclusion in the England squad, others too think he is in front of JJ.....but its just opinions, for what they are worth.

Its moot anyway, because it looks like no one is coming in...and Gallagher is not even linked.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, jim said:

I hope we don't come undone and Dhuran can take the pressure off WatkinsIn an ordinary world two strikers would be enough but if one gets injured, what happens tomorrow could have a big impact on our season.

I think that is the biggest worry Jim....that the momentum, is not undone.

The fact we are out of all the cups, probably plays a part in the thinking, of just a clear out.

3 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

why are we discussing Gallagher, not seen one link anywhere and he seems to start most games for Chelsea.

we are not now...but why not, its a transfer window, and Chelsea have too many players.

Was Ings linked, when we signed him?

Edited by TRO

We'd better have a busy last 2 days, or we are going to be very stretched for the rest of the season. This leaves the team vulnerable to any injuries and also more prone to getting them in the first place due to the inevitable lack of rotation. We already had 2 goalkeepers on the bench last time out. Not to mention a midfielder who is no longer with us and a 17 year old. We're doing well on the pitch, but off it it's giving me slight jitters.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MrBlack said:

It could also be either of our respective managers or scouting teams that were watching some games in Spain over the weekend.

Optimist in me says it's a signing to be revealed today.  Realist says we're laying the ground work for a summer move for Nico (or more likely someone else).

None of the big Basque teams were at home this weekend

If anything probably Lopetegui related, I think he delayed taking Wolves job for personal reasons

9 minutes ago, Lerner's Driver said:

Assume Deulofeu was a top target and we were waiting for him to recover from his small injury to do medical and he then did his knee ligaments. Kang In might have been in the list too but our bid was rejected (along with Brightons). Guendouzi isn't a priority this window tbh despite what we want to think. 

If there is any substance or accuracy to recent links or rumours, it sounds like we’re after a WF and if we can’t bring in someone ”high on our list of targets” now then we’ll look to complete a loan deal for someone like Ziyech.

But, who really knows? I genuinely don’t believe that there is a single journalist who has any real insight or “inside information” regarding our transfer activity and targets, maybe they just pick up snippets here and there (maybe more from the player’s club or agent rather than the club itself) or only find out at the “last minute” or just announce completed deals (like Percy?)…

I just think it’s best to reserve judgement until the window is actually closed. For those worried about a lack of activity, the consolation is that we will surely be one of the most active clubs in the summer and be spending on genuine upgrades and enhancements that it wasn’t possible to bring in right now. We’ve freed up funds and spaces, ready for Unai to recruit the talent that he wants.

11 minutes ago, TRO said:

Workrate and pressing.

If you think in terms of the first 11 as opposed to the squad 25, you might have more of a point.....but I am talking squad.

I think in general, he is better than McGinn and Buendia.....and judging by his inclusion in the England squad, others too think he is in front of JJ.....but its just opinions, for what they are worth.

Its moot anyway, because it looks like no one is coming in...and Gallagher is not even linked.

I am only ever talking about 1st team. We need to sign players who are better than players we have at the club in that position, thus solving our squad too as the current regular incumbent drops more to the bench. 

We've signed too many players that are not improving us. Needs to end 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BOF said:

We'd better have a busy last 2 days, or we are going to be very stretched for the rest of the season. This leaves the team vulnerable to any injuries and also more prone to getting them in the first place due to the inevitable lack of rotation. We already had 2 goalkeepers on the bench last time out. Not to mention a midfielder who is no longer with us and a 17 year old. We're doing well on the pitch, but off it it's giving me slight jitters.

The concerns are valid and it would be nice for us to really “go for it” during the remainder of the season and not leave ourselves short but, as you say, window’s not closed yet and we’ll just have to see… could be deals in the pipeline that just need finalising, small details etc. arrangements of selling clubs and so on…

Firmly believe Unai has a clear plan and is not really being hindered…

4 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I am only ever talking about 1st team. We need to sign players who are better than players we have at the club in that position, thus solving our squad too as the current regular incumbent drops more to the bench. 

We've signed too many players that are not improving us. Needs to end 

I think in that context, the cream needs to rise to the top....and the lesser players to the bench.....so I agree.

5 minutes ago, BOF said:

I don't full subscribe to this. The World Cup window was a nice break the the squad. 

We've GK and defence covered, two players for every position. Once Carlos is back we're 100% fit in the department

Midfield - we've 7 players - Coutinho, Buendia, Luiz, Kamara, Dendoncker, JJ, McGinn. All fit for Leicester. - Bailey, Cash, Moreno, Young, Chambers all can operate in midfield if required.

Attack - Watkins, Bailey, Duran. We're a player light here and have a Watkins risk for experienced Striker if he were to be injured for multiple games. 

We need 1 attacking player to mitigate that risk imo. 

• Like 1