January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

I would rather sign nobody than be stuck with the wrong player just because some online cried and demanded a signing

Sure, but I don't think there's any danger of the club signing a player just to keep people on social media happy, so this feels a bit redundant. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, nick76 said:

This is not a Villa fan uniqueness.  On any topic, on any day, from whatever leaning, there are people like this.  The social media platforms are full of it.  It’s not a representation of a group at all.  You just have to ignore that in whatever forum, or day, topic, or side or whatever because in this modern world the social media freedom has allowed this vocal section.  So it’s not Villa specific, all clubs will have it, all sport will have it, all topics have it, all sides have it.  That’s why I’m on this forum than open sites like Twitter and Facebook to discuss it.  Anyway back back to the matter in hand, transfers…

Exactly - aside from a couple of wind-up merchants on here, VillaTalk is (usually) a pretty good place for asking questions, raising concerns, etc.  We don't always agree with each other but usually the debate is interesting - or at least pretty civil - and there are a good few posters on here whose opinions I really like to read on a range of Villa related posts.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jas10 said:

As a Villa fan, I’m kind of embarrassed by how many idiots and miserable gits we have in our fanbase, online platforms like Twitter and Facebook have just exposed them. Maybe I was naive in thinking our supporters weren’t quite as bad or foolish as some others…

Too many go too far aswell… that’s what bothers me rather than those who can construct or form an opinion that may be viewed as overly negative or pessimistic. As long as said person shares it sensibly without resorting to pettiness or idiocy (or worse, I’ve never understood why people feel the need to resort to personal attacks and foul language either) then it’s fine and constructive criticism is healthy… but making stuff up isn’t! There have to be genuine reasons for positivity too otherwise there’d just be dreamers and no realists…

I’ve seen some disgusting language and aggression at times. It really is pathetic & embarrassing, some people need to grow up and develop a brain…

Whisper it quietly but there is more to life than football/sport… more that’s worthy of getting worked up about too…

Wait, you went on social media and you expected good things?

We all learn this lesson eventually. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

I would rather sign nobody than be stuck with the wrong player just because some online cried and demanded a signing

I would rather sign a good player who will fit into Emery's style of play than sign no-one.

I don't think anyone (sensible) is saying we should just sign players for the hell of it. 

And absolutely no-one is suggesting that we should sign the wrong player.

The only thing being discussed is whether it is worth spending more on one of our targets so that we can get them in January rather than getting them in the summer.  And that seems to depend on whether people are more worried about the risk of our squad depth biting us over the 2nd half of the season and risking our ability to sign the players we want in the summer or the risk / reality of maybe overpaying now compared to the price we could probably pay in the summer.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, macandally said:

It’s not the players is it, it’s the selling club having time to find a replacement and/or holding us over a barrel financially.

we nearly went to the wall a few years ago due to mismanagement, it’s amazing how quickly people forget

We also missed out on winning the title and competing in the early years of Sky / the Premier League because our owner wanted to haggle over £0.5 million rather than sign players that our managers / scouts / etc were convinced would help us compete.  It's amazing how quickly people forget. 😉😉😉

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, allani said:

We also missed out on winning the title and competing in the early years of Sky / the Premier League because our owner wanted to haggle over £0.5 million rather than sign players that our managers / scouts / etc were convinced would help us compete.  It's amazing how quickly people forget. 😉😉😉

This is so true but some people have not forgotten the short-sighted and inward looking way the club was run. Ellis “Mr Aston Villa” my arse!

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Can’t wait for the window to close so the bedwetters on social media can stop moaning or questioning the ambition of NSWE, horribly entitled lot. 

Unfortunately, the end of the window will probably only heighten their levels of moaning and questioning. 

Especially if we were to lose to Leicester. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Steero113 said:

Unfortunately, the end of the window will probably only heighten their levels of moaning and questioning. 

Especially if we were to lose to Leicester. 

and the start of the Summer Transfer thread with similar discussions.

• Haha 2