January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/oct/06/inaki-williams-my-parents-crossed-the-desert-barefoot-to-get-to-spain

I tried to help my racist young-teen Spanish students not be as racist by talking to them about the Williams' brothers story. It didn't work, but one of the articles we looked at gives some background. Obviously Iniaki has since started playing for Ghana—there's a second article in the Guardian about that too. I think they have pretty intense ties to Athletic, and I really think people will be getting their hopes up if they think Nico is going to change his mind aged 20. Just a guess though.

Iñaki Williams: ‘My parents crossed the desert barefoot to get to Spain’

The striker tells of his parents’ remarkable journey, rejecting Ghana and playing a record 203 league games in a row

“We were at home one day in Bilbao watching the television when something came on – I can’t remember exactly what – and I asked her again. My mum turned it off and said: ‘OK. The moment’s come for me to tell you. Sit down, I think you’re ready to hear the story of papa and me now. When she told me I was left cold. Hearing that leaves a deep impression. Wow. It’s like something in a film and my parents lived it.”

Iñaki Williams stops and takes a breath. He was 20 that day, already playing for Athletic Club. Pushed into the public eye, he had been asked his story but couldn’t tell it properly because he didn’t know. Parts had been written wrong, but he didn’t really know that either. He too had asked, desperate to find out exactly where he was from. “It ate away at me,” he says. Until, at last, Maria told him.

She told him how they had left Ghana and crossed the Sahara without food or water, about those who didn’t make it and how that could have been them. How they hid things the only place they could. How, pregnant with him, she climbed the fence into Melilla, Spain’s north African enclave. And how she and Felix were arrested, a lawyer whose name he still doesn’t know and, to his regret, never will providing a lifeline, a way of reaching the city where he was born. His place, where he has made history.

Last Friday night, 28 years on, Iñaki Williams played his 203rd consecutive league game, a record and the culmination of a journey that began before he was born. “Hearing my parents’ story makes you want to fight even harder to give back everything they sacrificed for us. I couldn’t ever repay them – they risked their lives – but the life I try to give them is the one they dreamed of giving us. And, in some way, we can say: ‘We’ve done it.’

.....etc.

Edited by Rolta
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, maqroll said:

I have a love/hate relationship with the January transfer window. 

I've reached the stage where I just want it to end.

.......so does the Villa Accountant.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I’m always sceptical about these YouTube clips that show players do well to get in to good positions but then cut to next clip. Means no end product!

Fair point but it’s clear to see (in several sources of footage) that he has a lot of ability at such a young age, 19. 7 assists so far this season, linked to and interesting some major clubs…

It’s a different case to seeing footage of an older player in an obscure or weak league and wondering if that’d translate. There is so much potential and development in young players who are already performing well…

Personally, I think it’d be incredibly exciting for us to target and sign the “next big things” or potential stars of the future… it’s a good way to be “ahead of the curve” or steal a march on other clubs… before they are snapped up and we miss out while they go on to bigger things. I think you’re less likely to waste money on these kind of targets too…

These young talents need good coaching and a good manager - we have that now and can produce and develop stars of the (near) future if we are intelligent in our scouting and transfer activity…

I’d prefer bringing a player like this on in a game rather than someone who’s “past it” and makes little to no impact. 

Young and hungry players are such an asset and usually more receptive to coaching, instructions and following what the manager wants from them… less of an ego for example, but that has to be managed. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Fair point but it’s clear to see (in several sources of footage) that he has a lot of ability at such a young age, 19. 7 assists so far this season, linked to and interesting some major clubs…

It’s a different case to seeing footage of an older player in an obscure or weak league and wondering if that’d translate. There is so much potential and development in young players who are already performing well…

Personally, I think it’d be incredibly exciting for us to target and sign the “next big things” or potential stars of the future… it’s a good way to be “ahead of the curve” or steal a march on other clubs… before they are snapped up and we miss out while they go on to bigger things. I think you’re less likely to waste money on these kind of targets too…

These young talents need good coaching and a good manager - we have that now and can produce and develop stars of the (near) future if we are intelligent in our scouting and transfer activity…

I’d prefer bringing a player like this on in a game rather than someone who’s “past it” and makes little to no impact. 

Young and hungry players are such an asset and usually more receptive to coaching, instructions and following what the manager wants from them… less of an ego for example, but that has to be managed. 

Its all well and good, trying to steal a march on other clubs, but they are saying the same thing.

its doable now and again.....but in the main, its a tough ask.

When we get the bones of our team in shape, its likely the last few pieces of the jig saw, will be expensive, as they are hard to get, the options get limited.

There will come a time, if it hasn't already, where we will have to pay over the odds.

I am not sure, what our transfer strategy is, or who is the dominant force......I can summise, but thats all it is.....I am not sure of the politics behind it.

I have to say, I am surprised, we have left anything this late, if in fact we have any intentions of adding at all.

We will definitely be trying to make additions. I suspect that we are probably trying to go for our top choices and if we don’t get them, then we will wait. Even if we don’t get any permanent signings, I wouldn’t be surprised if we got a loan in. We just need to be patient. If nothing else, we are clearing some players out so that we have room in the summer.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, sne said:

Their parents are from Ghana. Not sure if Williams is a common name there thou.

With some Ghanaians and some Nigerians, they’d have a few different names. Due to discrimination etc they will have a Christian/western first or last name as well as their birth name 

• Like 1

Though a lazy relinking of us to Sarr it’s so quiet right now why not.

just mentions we are “keen”

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/21197792/watford-aston-villa-crystal-palace-ismaila-sarr-transfer/

Aston Villa are keen and Crystal Palacehave been long-term admirers of the Senegal winger, 24 — but that price tag is too high for both.

1 hour ago, TRO said:

Its all well and good, trying to steal a march on other clubs, but they are saying the same thing.

its doable now and again.....but in the main, its a tough ask.

When we get the bones of our team in shape, its likely the last few pieces of the jig saw, will be expensive, as they are hard to get, the options get limited.

There will come a time, if it hasn't already, where we will have to pay over the odds.

I am not sure, what our transfer strategy is, or who is the dominant force......I can summise, but thats all it is.....I am not sure of the politics behind it.

I have to say, I am surprised, we have left anything this late, if in fact we have any intentions of adding at all.

The thing that keeps coming to mind is: it’s easier to sign poor/mediocre players and more difficult to sign better, high quality ones. Takes longer, usually costs more, harder to attract and negotiate and so on.

A balanced approach on bringing in quality enhancements and value and potential for the future seems the way to go… easier said than done though.

You have to spend just to keep up nowadays but it needs to be done intelligently and sensibly, with people with some degree of nous, knowledge and experience heavily involved in these kinds of decisions…

All the pieces need to fall into place, we have to wait for the dominoes to fall… transfer activity is often sequential. And we often see the finalisation of all this on deadline day… and usually wonder and even laugh at clubs for “leaving it so late” but it almost seems unavoidable… many of the “top clubs” are involved in that “frenzy” too…

No club wants to lose a quality player without having a proper replacement lined up and ready to go unless they’re receiving a massive fee and finances is dictating everything…

It’s complex, there are so many factors involved, and it takes time…

I’m just glad that we are looking for genuine quality and enhancements (happy that Unai is taking the lead on most of the football related aspects in terms of the running of the club) and not squad filler or short term deals… being more financially sensible and not loading ourselves with debt and/or huge wage packets on under performing players… shifting out the deadwood and unnecessary players…

It’s all good, we just have to learn to be more patient…

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 1