January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

1 hour ago, mottaloo said:

I'm reading Dennis Mortimer's excellent book and it would be safe to say he wasn't a fan of ellis, for the way you just mentioned 

I agree the right bastard maybe permanently ruined our chance of being a top top club. We used to finish top 4/6 in the prem until the early 00's and that was despite the total lack of investment. Imagine if we had someone with some ambition.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Made In Aston said:

MON tried to sign saviola when he first got the job, but he turned us down. 

He wanted Falcao too, who was offered to us for only £7.5m. MON himself suggested it was too expensive and, instead, opted for Heskey for £3.5m... 

Falcao ended up leaving River for Porto a few months later... for 3.9m euros... 

5 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

I agree the right bastard maybe permanently ruined our chance of being a top top club. We used to finish top 4/6 in the prem until the early 00's and that was despite the total lack of investment. Imagine if we had someone with some ambition.

I am hoping our situation has not been ruined permanently. For me the problem is the further behind you fall the longer and harder it is to come back. This is why I am fully behind the way our owners are taking the club forward because they are not “short term fix” merchants.

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

I’ve always thought Jack Harrison looked decent against us. 

I think its a Leeds style thing that they are everywhere but dont really offer anything long term viewing

I thought similar about Klich and he went somewhere in the MLS

• Haha 1

I just dont want to sign players that are going to be shipped out to Turkey in 12-18 months.  Rather wait until the summer to land some real quality players.  Also, I want Emery to use the next 18 matches to really evaluate our current squad.  See if the likes of McGinn, Coutinho, Cash have the chops to play for him long-term. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, nepal_villan said:

I just dont want to sign players that are going to be shipped out to Turkey in 12-18 months.  Rather wait until the summer to land some real quality players.  Also, I want Emery to use the next 18 matches to really evaluate our current squad.  See if the likes of McGinn, Coutinho, Cash have the chops to play for him long-term. 

I reckon Emery has already made his assessment of this squad not only from the games under him but the training sessions plus all the analytical work he’s done on them, not only now but in the past.  He knows what he wants, it just when he can get it now.  I don’t think another 18 games is going to change that much,  it’s about next steps and that’s building over this window and the coming windows along with the youth.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lupinthe5th said:

Jack Harrison don't strike me as an Emery type signing. Surely not true.

Why? (Discounting opinion on ability) Very hard working wide attacking player who can play on either side. I thought that’s exactly what we were after! 

Harrison > Bailey/Buendia. 

• Like 1