January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

2 hours ago, Tayls said:

I THINK we’re done. Although, I honestly hope not. 

Why? Would would we just unload not only Ings (more for FFP) but Archer aswell if we were just going with one CF for rest of season, makes no sense whatsoever. Not like we're overflowing with wide players either. Given the links we'll sign one of Dembele/Delefeuo on deadline day imo.

Of course we could just pack the final third with midfielders but that will have limitations in a fair few games.

2 hours ago, MWARLEY2 said:

We are not getting " bodies in " anymore.  They are either young with huge potential or able to go straight into the first eleven i would guess. Just as the plan was 18 months ago. 

The links we have had are to Felix , Mireno, Williams   Henrique , Guendouzi and Dembele. 

Big fees and big wages . And in this market we are going to find it harder to either convince players or afford players. 

So we  i  guess are going to be very careful and considered in how we spend. Our main targets might be still on the market so we might be holding off to try and get the one Emery really wants. 

Even if it doesnt work it will not be a disgraceful situation or one we should be berating the owners or manager for  . We need to have patience and trust. 

If we dont get a striker and ollie gets injured then do not worry. Emery will have a plan to deal with this tactically. 

Just do not forget we already have our main target in who will hopefully elevate us. And that is Unai himself. 

spacer.png

1) we don't have much money to spend
2) we need a striker
3) we regret missing out on Julian Alvarez

Mr Johan Lange I have a solution for you. His name is Mateo Retegui from Boca Juniors (On loan at Tiger)
Age 23. 23 Goals this season. The Best Goalscorer in Argentina. 
A must signing!

Edited by messi11

1 hour ago, paul514 said:

Just want to throw my tuppence into the thread.....

Have you ever thought that our targets may just be waiting to see if something better turns up?

i suspect some deals go down to the last few days due to haggling and decisions to be made not to mention the selling team getting in replacements

• Like 1

5 hours ago, paul514 said:

Just want to throw my tuppence into the thread.....

Have you ever thought that our targets may just be waiting to see if something better turns up?

Also maybe A. We don't want to get ripped off and B. selling teams are overpricing players as dont want to sell until summer as they need them e.g Marseille potential title bid

10 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

1. We’ve got loads of money
2. It can wait until the summer
3. Nobody knows what happened with Alvarez

Having Watkins and Duran, a 19 year old raw talent from a lot lower quality league is probably not the best for the rest of the season.  Yes, we can wait until the summer but it’s a poor idea.  Yes I know your arguments about Watkins injury record and we can play others there but, and I know you won’t agree, but it’s a poor idea to take such a risk.  Hopefully at least we can get a quality loan in if not a full transfer.

I agree about Alvarez, probably more likely he didn’t want to come to us because he knew of other interest like City’s. All speculation though, we’ll never know.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Having Watkins and Duran, a 19 year old raw talent from a lot lower quality league is probably not the best for the rest of the season.  Yes, we can wait until the summer but it’s a poor idea.  Yes I know your arguments about Watkins injury record and we can play others there but, and I know you won’t agree, but it’s a poor idea to take such a risk.  Hopefully at least we can get a quality loan in if not a full transfer.

I agree about Alvarez, probably more likely he didn’t want to come to us because he knew of other interest like City’s. All speculation though, we’ll never know.

Sink or swim though sometimes a player that never dreams of starting gets thrust in and excels.  Duran will hopefully have time to understand what is required from Unai's coaching and will be ready when called upon.

We apparently spent 19 million on a 19 year old so he should have all the attributes to succeed.

Maybe we are dumbing down the expectations who knows but we do have cover now for Ings leaving.

11 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I’d be happy getting rid of Nakamba and Chambers and signing absolutely nobody until the summer.

We need to get the squad down to a core 13/14 and then in the Summer we can go after 3 or 4 high quality players. Given we’ve got the wages of a few off the books and reduced the squad size, we’ll have some serious room to play with. 

No point in rushing players through the door now. The only player we’ve been linked to that I think would genuinely improve us is Guendouzi. I’d be ecstatic if we signed him but not bothered one jot about the rest. 

Clearing the dead wood is a priority for me. Digne and Coutinho can go in the Summer too. 

I'm inclined to agree, although would be delighted with Nico Williams or Merino too

21 minutes ago, S-Platt said:

Sink or swim though sometimes a player that never dreams of starting gets thrust in and excels.  Duran will hopefully have time to understand what is required from Unai's coaching and will be ready when called upon.

We apparently spent 19 million on a 19 year old so he should have all the attributes to succeed.

Maybe we are dumbing down the expectations who knows but we do have cover now for Ings leaving.

I think it’s also being realistic by Emery.  If the kid has raw talent, he’s still moving from a different country, a lot poorer league quality wise and he’s now only getting elite coaching.  We only have 4/5 months left of season, Emery has said he’s not going to be thrown in the deep end and he wants more in that area.  I think sometimes fans forget the human side, the reality of it all.  Rarely is it a lift and drop situation of playing.

26 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I’d be happy getting rid of Nakamba and Chambers and signing absolutely nobody until the summer.

We need to get the squad down to a core 13/14 and then in the Summer we can go after 3 or 4 high quality players. Given we’ve got the wages of a few off the books and reduced the squad size, we’ll have some serious room to play with. 

No point in rushing players through the door now. The only player we’ve been linked to that I think would genuinely improve us is Guendouzi. I’d be ecstatic if we signed him but not bothered one jot about the rest. 

Clearing the dead wood is a priority for me. Digne and Coutinho can go in the Summer too. 

Think we need to hold on to Chambers for now. He is the only CB cover we have for the next few weeks and Emery likes to park the bus late in games when his teams have the lead.  

22 minutes ago, nepal_villan said:

Think we need to hold on to Chambers for now. He is the only CB cover we have for the next few weeks and Emery likes to park the bus late in games when his teams have the lead.  

The same Chambers who’s only made a handful of appearances this season and been largely dreadful in each of them? 

If Konsa or Mings gets injured, stick Dendoncker back there (most Wolves fans think he’s a better centre half than midfielder). If he gets injured too, it’s likely Carlos will be back by then anyway. 

If any club is desperate to give us a fee for him and take his wages too, we’ll sell.

We’re out of both cups and we don’t feature in a European competition. Now is the perfect time to trim the squad down before backing Emery big time in the summer to take us back to where we belong.

Edited by Delphinho123

6 hours ago, Anything11 said:

i suspect some deals go down to the last few days due to haggling and decisions to be made not to mention the selling team getting in replacements

A pleasant dose of common sense.