January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

On 17/01/2023 at 16:51, allani said:

Really not sure that I would be looking to sign (m)any of the Leeds players.  There is a reason why they have won so few matches in the last 12 months.

Yeah.

Its just the reason is not Gnoto.

On 17/01/2023 at 16:55, allani said:

Gnonto was bullied so badly by Ashley the other night I almost felt sorry for the kid.  And Ashley is hardly a hard nut.

do you mean other than when he rolled Ashley and Sanson?....to set up their goal.

It seems he caught everyones eye, so I have mixed views on your comments....I didn't hear the pundits, making similar observations.

Edited by TRO

2 minutes ago, ROTTERDAM1982 said:

Gerrard tried to get Bentacur after he had signed Kamara, have to say it looks like it would have been a good partnership.

It was before. Spurs signed Bentancur on deadline day Jan 31st 2022.  We signed Kamara in May 2022

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

Very true but a bit weird to use the tactic of saying they haven’t even been contacted, that’s where this theory falls down.  It’ll be interesting to see in hindsight either when the deal signs or when nothing at all happens as the window shuts.  Just weird to say they haven’t been contacted if they had, not the usual reason to use in public negotiations.

Not to say this means it's happening by any means but apparently the OM CEO has a history of doing this and often winds up the fans in the process. Says he has no idea about any interest in specific players only for them to leave a few days later.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Indigo said:

Not to say this means it's happening by any means but apparently the OM CEO has a history of doing this and often winds up the fans in the process. Says he has no idea about any interest in specific players only for them to leave a few days later.

It’s definitely happening then. Thanks for confirming Indigo!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

All the reports from more reputable sources have said that we've been in contact with the player not Marseille, so their CEO might be speaking in the truth with what he's saying, but all it means is that we haven't made a bid yet. Their CEO also doesn't deny that we're in conctact with the player, he just claims that he doesn't know if we're in concact with Guendouzi's people or not.

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

McKennie would be such a 'meh' signing. If we were signing anyone from Juventus, we should have got that Bentancur when we had the chance. 

Agreed. I don't rate Mckennie (Average) and was very bullish on us signing Bentancur 

What was the last signing we had where there was a lot of rumors and it actually came to? Feel like our signings have come under nowhere for the last few markets.

Maybe Kamara or Diego? I'd have to go back through the threads and find out.

I know Watkins was long linked and rumored until he finally came.

43 minutes ago, villan-scott said:

I love Emery. He’s going to drag us up the table over the next months and years. Buckle up!

He comes across as the type who's almost too honest... not in a trying to be a dick way... but genuine 😂

" Johan let's keep it real, player X is sh*t... doesn't help that he's a bit slow in the head either "

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

He comes across as the type who's almost too honest... not in a trying to be a dick way... but genuine 😂

" Johan let's keep it real, player X is sh*t... doesn't help that he's a bit slow in the head either "

It strikes me as a genius response. 

Firstly, I think every man and his dog knows that with a new manager, a new approach, a team that is bouncing up the league and committed owners that we are going to be looking to bring players in.  So if he denies that we are looking - no-one would believe him apart from possibly Villa fans who would be getting needlessly upset about nothing. 

Secondly, I think it is great that he mentions that he and Lange are working together on transfers - shows that the club are working together on these kind of things.  There is something there if you read between the lines about Emery indicating that he has a very big say in anyone that does come in - but again that is something that I find good to hear.  Manager discusses the type(s) of player he wants with the DOF and possibly even some specific names, the DOF identifies players that meet the brief and / or are similar to player mentioned, manager and DOF prioritise, manager gets back to training, DOF starts contacting clubs / agents of targetted players, DOF feeds back progress to manager, if and when bid gets accepted then the DOF and manager speak to player and representatives to try and persuade them to sign.  Players not signed by the DOF / not signed by the manager - but agreed by both. 

Thirdly, I think he has managed the fan expectations well - we are doing everything we can to bring in some reinforcements but if we don't then it is because we were ONLY interested in players who would improve the squad - so if we don't sign anyone then we tried but only for noticeable upgrades, in the meantime keep excited because anyone that does sign will be really good. 

Fourthly, I think it keeps our current players happy - says that the squad is already very good so no rumour mill at the office that 10 players are about to be replaced.

Fifthly, it is a great deflective answer that makes it easier to avoid follow up questions about specific rumours / players.

Finally, if we are in negotiations with anyone then either (a) it indicates that there might be other positions being strengthened as well, (b) it quite neatly glosses over any slight concerns that the player might have based on our league position 2 months ago and (c) it suggests that we have a few fires in the oven so don't screw up your chance of finalising a deal by dicking around because we'll just move on and we aren't desperate.

• Like 4