January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

If Ings does leave, then we must be at an advanced stage of negotiations with a striker already.  no way we would let him leave if we didn't have someone lined up, we would be an injury away from only having Archer as a striker.

Hopefully a deal is close for Thuram.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

Apparently Ings has been told he can leave in Jan if clubs are interested.  Could see Southampton or Bournemouth being in for him.  Would want 10-15m of 25m we paid for him anyway.

We need 12.5m to cover his remaining amortization. So 12m + add ons would be minimum we'd accept. 

We could do a similar one to Targett though, loan fee + sale option. So a £4m loan fee + option at £10m. Meaning a total of 14m of they made permanent in summer. 

If we got in Sarr and Deloufou and Ings and Archer went out that would make plenty of sense to me. I feel pace is an absolute must for Emery in his front 2

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I'd be shocked.
SHOCKED GODAMMIT, if any club picks up Ings contract and offers him anything better. 

SHOCKED. 

But nobody has to either. He has 18 months left and I'm sure he'd take a 3 year deal at a Prem team in summer on 80-90k 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, stewiek2 said:

It may have changed but that's what I read how it was a few years ago, as to why some fees are announced and some undisclosed, due to the structure of the payments, with it generally being the case that if a fee is announced that it's the lot up front. Of course, like any 'industry'., this may have changed in the last 3-4 years.

Pretty sure Undisclosed fees are just used to mask the amount being received/paid for a player - one of the clubs doesn't want the fee made public for whatever reason.  I don't think there's any more to it than that.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

We need 12.5m to cover his remaining amortization. So 12m + add ons would be minimum we'd accept. 

We could do a similar one to Targett though, loan fee + sale option. So a £4m loan fee + option at £10m. Meaning a total of 14m of they made permanent in summer. 

If we got in Sarr and Deloufou and Ings and Archer went out that would make plenty of sense to me. I feel pace is an absolute must for Emery in his front 2

You would be replacing 2 strikers with 2 wingers in that case.  We would still need a striker if Ings and Archer left.

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

Pretty sure Undisclosed fees are just used to mask the amount being received/paid for a player - one of the clubs doesn't want the fee made public for whatever reason.  I don't think there's any more to it than that.

That's what I thought.

3 minutes ago, duke313 said:

You would be replacing 2 strikers with 2 wingers in that case.  We would still need a striker if Ings and Archer left.

Deulofeu is playing up front for Udinese.

archer doesn’t need to be replaced. He barely plays anyway

Edited by Laughable Chimp

Ings only has a year and half left on his contract, a team could just offer him less money but give him a longer deal, and for a goal scorer by Premier League standards wouldn't cost a lot of money. I could see half the league being interested in him. Would only make sense for us to sell him if we have a replacement that's better than him or Watkins.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Deulofeu is playing up front for Udinese

But he's still not a striker.  He's playing in a deeper role in a front two, similar to Bailey.

We have 3 strikers in the senior team, Watkins, Ings and Archer.  We can't get rid of two and only have one.

5 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Well it wouldn't. Emery wants those forwards to be Winger/Forward type players.

Both Sarr and Deloufou play CF and Wide so fit the bill for Emery 

Just now, duke313 said:

But he's still not a striker.  He's playing in a deeper role in a front two, similar to Bailey.

We have 3 strikers in the senior team, Watkins, Ings and Archer.  We can't get rid of two and only have one.

We don't need a Striker whatever that means these days. We won't be playing with one player up top. It will always be fast pacey players who are able to play across a forward line. 

Basically if a player can play two positions across a front 3 then they fit the bill for one of our two forwards. 

Watkins, Sarr, Deloufou all fit the bill for that. Bailey a little less so, but did in Germany 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

We don't need a Striker whatever that means these days. We won't be playing with one player up top. It will always be fast pacey players who are able to play across a forward line. 

Basically if a player can play two positions across a front 3 then they fit the bill for one of our two forwards. 

Watkins, Sarr, Deloufou all fit the bill for that. Bailey a little less so, but did in Germany 

I get what you're saying, goal scoring forwards rather than out and out strikers in the mould of Salah or Neymar.  But Sarr and Deloufeu have never been those type of forwards.

Stating the obvious here but I guess it comes down to what role Emery is telling Ings he will have here and how much he still want's to play football compared to earning money.

No club is likely to give him the same package we have but we might be willing to give him a portion of that money if a club is willing to buy him. Much rather it's a sale than a loan but we'll see.

Wasn't keen on the transfer when it happened but don't think he's been poor as such. Just not a good fit or worth the money. Can't fault the effort as he works really hard.

• Like 2