Villa’s Race for Europe 22/23

messi11

Can’t be relying on favours next week. Just got to beat Brighton. Looking at Leeds and Brentford this weekend, if we draw it’s probably not going to be enough. 

Always thought for weeks if we went into the last day needing to win for European football we would do it. Not changed my mind on that. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, useless said:

Since Emery appointment we've taken six more points than Brighton, if we had Emery for the other ten games we probably would be well clear of them.

I Enjoy your fact based posts dude. Rarely wrong. 

I think I might be wrong with that one actually, as I'm not sure if the site I checked on has been updated after Brighton's win today. But sill we've taken more points than them since Emery appointment, so point still stands.

6 minutes ago, useless said:

Since Emery appointment we've taken six more points than Brighton, if we had Emery for the other ten games we probably would be well clear of them.

Is that all it was? Ten game with Steven? Felt like ten **** years. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, nepal_villan said:

I am thinking deals are close to being agreed for the likes of Mac Allister.  Would they want to risk losing 60M by playing him against us?

Brighton are sensibly run and flushed with cash like most other PL clubs so I would be surprised if they were so desperate for the transfer fee that they’d be particularly worried about the small risk of a bad injury and will rest players. Maybe those players will play more cautiously than usual which would be helpful to us but maybe they’ll want to do a bit extra to sign off in style? We have to approach the game as if they’ll be on top form - and if they’re not then it’ll be a good day for us 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Could still finish level on points with them if they lose v Man. City and us. Basically Brighton getting that 97th minute win v Man. United cost us although perhaps they'd have then gone and beaten Everton.

What it does show is we need far more goal threat throughout our team. Brighton finally learnt how to score 3-4 goals pretty regularly when they're on top in games and so they've got to a + 20 GD pretty comfortably even though they've had some heavy losses recently.

Perhaps that's not how it's going to work under UE given how tight he's got us defensively but we're going to need a Newcastle or Brentford scoreline 4-5 times next season if we want our GD to be in line with a few teams who'll be top 6.

I don’t think he’s particularly set us up as a defensive team or wants to in the future Chris but with the squad he inherited he’s turned our defensive frailties around. It’s as much a collective mind set,  that he’s so brilliantly altered.

Gerrard identified that we, as a team, have a weak mentality, something that we had all know for years. His problem was that he hadn’t a clue how to solve it. Alienating our captain seemed to be his big plan. 

You’re right we do need to score more goals. Goal scoring has improved but we only have one real striker and he’s got amazing results out of him. I’m pretty sure though that there’ll be changes up front in the summer. 

10 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

Is that all it was? Ten game with Steven? Felt like ten **** years. 

Because it was clear 2 minutes into the first game of the season vs Bournemouth that he was out of his depth, had a whole preseason and came back even worse. Those next 10 games everyone could see the writing on the wall and was counting down the matches until he was sacked, realistically it should have been at the first international break but luckily he got a result vs city just before the break which delayed the inevitable 

Edited by david-avfc

6 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

I'm shocked so many think that Brighton will go easy against us last game of the season.

We're a better side than Brighton. That's a fact since Unai arrived. 

We don't need them to take it easy on us. 

They can play their full strength 11 and we should still beat them. It's down to us. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, david-avfc said:

Because it was clear 2 minutes into the first game of the season vs Bournemouth that he was out of his depth, had a whole preseason and came back even worse. Those 10 games everyone could see the writing on the wall and was counting down the matches until he was sacked, realistically it should have been at the first international break but luckily he got a result vs city just before which delayed the inevitable 

I remember wanting him gone after that Crystal Palace loss. Always get some one off poor performances so didn’t want to read too much into the Bournemouth game but after the Palace game (the Everton win was poor aswell) I’d seen enough. Pretty sure the fan base turned after the West Ham game….that was when it was when not if. 

In hindsight the warning signs were there in pre-season, pretty sure the general feeling was that we didn’t look good in open play. 

• Like 1

Just now, DaveAV1 said:

After a demoralising 10 nil defeat to Man City in the week, we’ll easily beat them 5-0 on Sunday to dramatically seal our Europa League spot.  I can’t believe how negative people are. Come on a little positivity please. 

1 minute ago, Steero113 said:

We're a better side than Brighton. That's a fact since Unai arrived. 

We don't need them to take it easy on us. 

They can play their full strength 11 and we should still beat them. It's down to us. 

We have a full week to recover and train. They had a game today, which they wasn't coasting in, they have Man City Wednesday who will run them ragged, can't imagine them beating us Sunday, even if they wanted too.

• Like 2

Don Unai was of course unavailable until we got him. So the ideal scenario would have been to have Danks as caretaker until Don Unai’s appointment. I think we could have gotten 8 more points in that situation.

1 minute ago, Jareth said:

I for one am glad there’s no more bloody permutations! 

Well we still have Us, Spurs and Brentford permutations of the last day

• Like 1

5 hours ago, VillaChris said:

People keep saying this but how come West Ham finished 7th last season despite getting to SF of Europa league? They had to beat the likes of Sevilla and Lyon aswell so that was far higher quality opposition than what they've faced in europe this season.

The main reason imo West Ham have been so poor is their summer signings of Aguerd, Emerson Palmeri, Lucas Pacqueta, Scamecca and Cornet have either been injured or just not adapted quickly enough to the premier league. Their form in league has picked up with Moyes going back to the old guard of Antonio, Cresswell, Coufal etc.

If we make europe we'll be adding 4-5 no problem to this present squad so bar a terrible injury crisis I don't believe we'd be that stretched for players.

I said this—I wasn't paying any attention to them whatsoever. When we're a bit depressingly shit I barely look above us in the table. My bad!

Bring on the conference then!

• Like 1