Villa’s Race for Europe 22/23

messi11

2 minutes ago, duke313 said:

So, we need a Brighton win this Thursday?  They win that and then beat Southampton they are then out of reach of Fulham and will have secured 6th place

Eh? Explain how that helps us?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, alreadyexists said:

So why are Brighton and Palace rivals? I assume there’s some history there, but they’re miles away from each other! 

Isn't it a train line thing - i.e. the closest team to Brighton by train would be Palace on the route into Central London?  So if you follow that line down people from the towns on the line are likely to either go north to Palace or south to Brighton.

8 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Eh? Explain how that helps us?

I assume he's thinking that Brighton then have nothing to play for against us should we be in a straight fight with Spurs for 7th (whereas Spurs have to go to Leeds who will probably be fighting for their lives to try and stay in the league).

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, duke313 said:

Brighton will have nothing to play for in their final game.

I'd rather we catch them still, but I suppose if they do beat Newcastle then at least your possible scenario is the silver lining.

Chances are they might have a chance of top 4 still if they win both of those though so it doesn't really work.

4 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Brighton will have nothing to play for in their final game.

Ahhh I see.  Sorry, had a very long day so didn’t catch on, my brain is currently mush.

Just now, fightoffyour said:

I'd rather we catch them still, but I suppose if they do beat Newcastle then at least your possible scenario is the silver lining.

Chances are they might have a chance of top 4 still if they win both of those though so it doesn't really work.

There is a scenario whereby we could beat Liverpool and Brighton and still not catch Brighton. They will finish above us, no point in worrying about it, better that they are safe and secure in 6th, we might need to batter them to improve our goal difference if we are level on points with Spurs.

13 minutes ago, duke313 said:

There is a scenario whereby we could beat Liverpool and Brighton and still not catch Brighton. They will finish above us, no point in worrying about it, better that they are safe and secure in 6th, we might need to batter them to improve our goal difference if we are level on points with Spurs.

And there's a scenario where they beat Newcastle and Southampton and have even more to play for on the last day than us.

I'm not worried about it, I just still think it's possible.

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Ahhh I see.  Sorry, had a very long day so didn’t catch on, my brain is currently mush.

It's a tough one more me.  I kind of want Brighton to lose so that it is 2 from 3 rather than 1 from 2 (assuming that Brentford / Fulham don't suddenly come back into the fight).  But at the same time a knackered Brighton with nothing to play for might be better than a knackered Brighton with lots to play for - especially if we get an early goal.  In the former, there's a chance that they run out of legs, with the latter they might suddenly have their whole season on the line in terms of fighting back to get a point / win.

9 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

And there's a scenario where they beat Newcastle and Southampton and have even more to play for on the last day than us.

I'm not worried about it, I just still think it's possible.

That scenario would require two of Newcastle, Man U and Liverpool to completely collapse, so is even less likely than us finishing above Brighton.

32 minutes ago, duke313 said:

That scenario would require two of Newcastle, Man U and Liverpool to completely collapse, so is even less likely than us finishing above Brighton.

Not at all. If Brighton beat Newcastle and Southampton to secure 6th place, they'll be 2 points behind Newcastle and 1 behind Liverpool with the same number of games played. If they're still no more than 2 points behind them both after the next game then they'll be going all about to beat us on the last day.

Brighton can be in with a chance regardless of what those other teams do (except Utd) assuming they win the next two, as in your scenario.

The situation where Brighton can only finish 5th or 6th on the last day but neither 4th nor 7th is more unlikely than them being out of sight (+3 points) of us, in my opinion.

Edited by fightoffyour

5 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Same. Europe would be nice but would prefer Emery having the chance to prepare for league games every week without all the extra Thursday night games.  Both Leicester and West Ham dropped off massively in the league whilst in Europe. 

They didn’t at their first time. Leicester didn’t even play this season. 

1 hour ago, duke313 said:

So, we need a Brighton win this Thursday?  They win that and then beat Southampton they are then out of reach of Fulham and will have secured 6th place

We need them to lose, they still haven’t lost to Southampton and we still haven’t lost to Liverpool. There is still a chance for the winner last game qualify to Europe.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

How about we hope for both spurs and Brighton to lose their games, we win ours, and not worry about anything else?

I think that would be the best approach to take in all of this to avoid further disappointment.

5 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

We just need to concentrate on trying to win our own games; that's the best we can do. And let the dice fall how they may.

I am in this camp now. I’ve spent so long worrying about other fixtures that it’s just pointless now. You just dont know what’s gonna happen.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, MellbergsBeard said:

If don’t get European football this season, remember we never bottled it ...

I'm going to bet not a single person on these boards needed this guidance or ever considered any such thing. This isn't TalkSport.

1 hour ago, MellbergsBeard said:

If don’t get European football this season, remember we never bottled it against wolves or any other team under Unai, the damage was done at the begging of the season.

Personally delighted the damage was done at the start of the season, we might not have got Emery otherwise. Every cloud has a silver lining and all that. 

• Like 3