Villa’s Race for Europe 22/23

messi11

Formula is this.

We win our two home games and that gets us to 60 points.

Brighton would then need to beat Southamton at home and pick up two points from Arsenal and Newcastle away and Man. City at home to get ahead of us.

They're a good team but tonight has shown they struggle to pick up midfielders making deep runs, remember McGinn's run from halfway line that got us a penalty in the away game. We need him and Ramsey on it big time on final day as they will get chances.

Think they're also struggling from playing every 3-4 days as some of their lay offs have been well short.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TheMightyVillans said:

The only match they will win hopefully.

Lose to everton, arsenal, newcastle, city and us.

Easy :D

Ha, I think we’ll need a point at Anfield tbh. Provided we win the other two. 

Big game Saturday. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

The odds of us beating Spurs AND Brighton losing 5 of their last 6 games would be astronomical.

Have a punt on an accumulator if you fancy it. Lol

If they can be 3-0 down to Everton who've barely scored at rate of goal a game for 18 months they can certainly go down 3-0 to Arsenal and Man. City. Then us on final day pretty much becomes one off who fancies it on the day scenario (IF we beat Spurs) and we'll have 40k behind us which should help.

They are tired. You can see it in some of their moves. Also got some niggles given Solly March isn't starting for second game running which surprised me.

Still they get an early goal back in second half and wouldn't shock me if result is still in doubt until last second.

4 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

The odds of us beating Spurs AND Brighton losing 4 of their last 5 games would be astronomical.

Have a punt on an accumulator if you fancy it. Lol

I’ll check tomo if I can.  I bet the odds are low.  

Brighton - Arsenal and Newcastle wins at home will be about evens, City will be odds on to win I’m guessing

Villa vs Spurs and Villa vs Brighton will be higher but less than 2 to 1 for Villa wins I’m guessing as we are at home.

Saturdays result was deflating..

But Emery will have us ready and fighting at Villa Park on Saturday.

Whether we qualify for any type of Euro competition remains to be seen but I just want a win on Saturday..

The positive is that we have plenty to fight for especially at the last game if we muster up a minimum of 3-4 points by then..

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

If they can be 3-0 down to Everton who've barely scored at rate of goal a game for 18 months they can certainly go down 3-0 to Arsenal and Man. City. Then us on final day pretty much becomes one off who fancies it on the day scenario (IF we beat Spurs) and we'll have 40k behind us which should help.

They are tired. You can see it in some of their moves. Also got some niggles given Solly March isn't starting for second game running which surprised me.

Still they get an early goal back in second half and wouldn't shock me if result is still in doubt until last second.

We have looked off the pace for several games now and have 3 horrible fixtures. 

I said 2 weeks ago that we would finish between 5 and 8 points behind Brighton. I stand by that although closer to 5 after this. 

Its all about finishing above Spurs. As it has been for a while now.

2 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

It’s not Brighton slipping up that makes me particularly concerned, it’s us doing our part I’m less convinced of.

I can totally buy Brighton picking up no more than 4 from Saints and the top 3. It’s us winning the home matches that’s giving me pause for thought.

Had we had won on Saturday I’d say it was very likely (not quite nailed on, but moving towards it) that we’d finish ahead of Brighton.

Hopefully we’re on it on Saturday.

Yep completely agree.  To me it’s us that will not take advantage now.

• Like 1

This result really has opened it back up for us. Even if Brighton manage to pick up 4 points from their horrible 4 games before us, a win for us at home to Spurs and Brighton will see us in Europe. 

If only we made things easier for ourselves against Wolves 🥲

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

It’s not Brighton slipping up that makes me particularly concerned, it’s us doing our part I’m less convinced of.

I can totally buy Brighton picking up no more than 4 from Saints and the top 3. It’s us winning the home matches that’s giving me pause for thought.

Had we had won on Saturday I’d say it was very likely (not quite nailed on, but moving towards it) that we’d finish ahead of Brighton.

Hopefully we’re on it on Saturday.

Yes me too 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GlobalVillan said:

I said 2 weeks ago that we would finish between 5 and 8 points behind Brighton. I stand by that although closer to 5 after this. 

If we beat Spurs then Brighton would need to win one of Arsenal and Newcastle away to go back above us (or two draws). Then they probably go above us on penultimate weekend looking at fixtures. Man. City however if Arsenal win their next two will win the league if they win at Brighton so they'll want to wrap it up before final weekend given how complicated the game v us become.

We've been flat last few weeks but we need to take a deep breath and realise there's still a decent opportunity to finish 6th and we need to earn it by beating Brighton and Spurs.

Brighton beating all of Man. City, Newcastle and Arsenal would be some treble if we're talking about longshot bets.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

To finish above Spurs at a minimum we need to beat them, then neither get another point.  Assume GD falls in our favour.  That means we will be two ahead of Brighton.  They beat us puts them one point ahead of us.  To then be five points ahead they would then need four points from Arsenal away, Newcastle away and City at home…thus a win and a draw.  I think the odds would be lower for my previous post prediction than Brighton doing this.

2 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

If we beat Spurs then Brighton would need to win one of Arsenal and Newcastle away to go back above us (or two draws). Then they probably go above us on penultimate weekend looking at fixtures. Man. City however if Arsenal win their next two will win the league if they win at Brighton so they'll want to wrap it up before final weekend given how complicated the game v us become.

We've been flat last few weeks but we need to take a deep breath and realise there's still a decent opportunity to finish 6th and we need to earn it by beating Brighton and Spurs.

Brighton beating all of Man. City, Newcastle and Arsenal would be some treble if we're talking about longshot bets.

I have absolutely no doubt that we will not beat both Brighton and Spurs, whilst Brighton lose those 3 games.

That's just wishful thinking.

Which you are entitled to do of course. :)

4 minutes ago, nick76 said:

To finish above Spurs at a minimum we need to beat them, then neither get another point.  Assume GD falls in our favour.  That means we will be two ahead of Brighton.  They beat us puts them one point ahead of us.  To then be five points ahead they would then need four points from Arsenal away, Newcastle away and City at home…thus a win and a draw.  I think the odds would be lower for my previous post prediction than Brighton doing this.

If they get one point from those 3 games, and then beat us, that's 5 points ahead.

Assuming we beat Spurs and they beat Southampton. They would finish 5 ahead.