Villa’s Race for Europe 22/23

messi11

To all the dreamers, I say keep dreaming and welcome to Aston Villa. She is a cruel mistress who will edge you to the point of delight before then ruining your pleasure with a violent tug. It has pretty much always been this way. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

It’s going to be difficult it was always going to be difficult but it’s still in our hands, and if we don’t get an european  Spot then it’s still been a good season considering out season only started in November.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Look im being honest not "slagging off" you cant even criticise now.

The squad has done very well to get us where we are no one is denying that but if you think this squad is good enough to take us next level you must not be watching the same thing as me

Can you not see the limitations going forward? Its so poor at times esp in the final 3rd. Basic things like picking a pass at the right time not getting the ball forward quick enough.

Even when wolves were going forward the few times they did they did it so better than we did and thats in BOTH games.

Yes we need better than Bailey and Buendia in final third. That's nothing to do with fight or passion however, it's about making the right decisions when on the ball which I'm afraid neither do enough at key points in games.

Edit: The post you quoted even has me saying on the last line "we need much more in the final third"........😉

Edited by VillaChris

Looking at the fixtures I don't think Europe is even completely out of the question, will require a surprise result here and there, but we're just three points off sixth with three games to go, Brighton have a couple of games in hand but their fixtures look very tricky and as with us their good form isn't going to last forever, it's an outside chance of catching them but not impossible, and if we can beat Spurs and then at least one other team beats them before the end of the season then we will have a chance of catching them too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Please. It's over, folks. Make it easier on yourselves and start looking forward to summer recruitment because there is **** all happening for us in terms of league position now.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Yes we need better than Bailey and Buendia in final third. That's nothing to do with fight or passion however, it's about making the right decisions when on the ball which I'm afraid neither do enough at key points in games.

Edit: The post you quoted even has me saying on the last line "we need much more in the final 

We havent beaten wolves in 5 lost 3 and drawn two. A lack of desire and passion. Only one who was showing any today was mcginn.

We need decision making improvements  in final 3rd that we agree on. We use to be good at derby games not anymore

3 minutes ago, est1874 said:

Please. It's over, folks. Make it easier on yourselves and start looking forward to summer recruitment because there is **** all happening for us in terms of league position now.

Ensuring both the highest finish for over ten years plus picking up a few extra million per place isn’t something to be sniffed at. 

I am fairly confident 8th is secure, dare I say based Brentford’s fixtures along with the four point cushion.

Anything else is a bonus. 

• Like 2

Next week against Spurs is a big game. 

Not necessarily for Europe, although that's not completely done, but to avoid a really poor end to the season.

We could easily end up signing off with five losses on the bounce if we're not careful - which would lend a very different colour to the second half of the season. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, est1874 said:

It’s ok to dream and I hope the team don’t share your defeatist view. 

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

We havent beaten wolves in 5 lost 3 and drawn two. A lack of desire and passion. Only one who was showing any today was mcginn.

We need decision making improvements  in final 3rd that we agree on. We use to be good at derby games not anymore

Debatable whether Wolves counts as a derby and it’s not like our record against them in the championship was stellar. 

Our derbies against small heath were typically good, baggies reasonably good.

Just now, Mark Albrighton said:

Debatable whether Wolves counts as a derby and it’s not like our record against them in the championship was stellar. 

Our derbies against small heath were typically good, baggies reasonably good.

I mean i know we dint care about them as mucb as they seem to with us but it is a local derby its round the corner from villa park!

But the fact is whats perception if they see it is as a derby. The resukts against them in tbe last 5 have been poor.  They are not even good thats what frustrates the **** out of me.

1 minute ago, paul514 said:

Are people still not admitting it is over then?

If we cant go to wolves and even get a point how we are gonna go to anfield and win?! That ends the discussion for me right there!

14 minutes ago, est1874 said:

You've been Debbie downer for weeks. You must be delighted now

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Wolves have similar profile to Brentford. Tough at the back and have some decent ball carriers in final third.

A problem still remains aswell we simply don't win if we concede first, don't think we've actually won a game under UE yet when we've conceded first in a game so ideally need to put that right in final 3 matches.

We can't just write off getting anything v Spurs if we concede in first 10 minutes next week.

2 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

You've been Debbie downer for weeks. You must be delighted now

No, I could just see exactly what would happen by using my brain, analyzing our performances since Newcastle, looking at the fixture list, considering the highly unlikely factor of probability that we would keep our (very impressive) streak going and/or that other teams would continue to lose, and the fact that in this league you need to be changing things up significantly every now and then to keep the opponent guessing, or you get found out and good form very quickly turns to bad.

None of this was difficult for anyone to predict, which is why I've been "Debbie downer" and calling this for ages. It's just logical. I know from experience as a Villa supporter not to get carried away, it baffles me that others opt to raise their expectations every single time and then get badly let down. It's far easier and sensible to be a realist. Trust me, today hurt less as a result. If I'd had any hope of Europe left, losing it to Wolves would have ruined my weekend (at least).

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Wolves have similar profile to Brentford. Tough at the back and have some decent ball carriers in final third.

A problem still remains aswell we simply don't win if we concede first, don't think we've actually won a game under UE yet when we've conceded first in a game so ideally need to put that right in final 3 matches.

We can't just write off getting anything v Spurs if we concede in first 10 minutes next week.

Yea i agree chris about not scoring 1st its been like this for a long while now. All the top sides come back from loaing positions. This is definitely we need to work on for sure in the summer. Its esp bacd away from home

I just cant see how we are going to keep kane out next week. If we play that poorly vs spurs they will hammer us

Edited by Demitri_C
  • Like 1