Villa’s Race for Europe 22/23

messi11

If we win all 7 games 5th guaranteed. We will have beaten Spurs and Brighton in that run so 5th will be guaranteed. Just a shame Newcastle and Man U have picked up the points in recent games to get that buffer. 

By getting Europa League we will be in the CL guaranteed. Don Unai owns the Europa League. 

Guranteed!

Edited by Sulberto21
  • Like 3

Just now, GeordieVillan said:

I get this, but I don’t think a conference league place will be enough to keep all our best players. We are definitely on the radar of the teams above now as a threat, and they will be looking to weaken us by cherry picking our best players in the summer (think Yorke, Delph, Milner, Barry). We may be in a better position to deal with that with our current manager and ambitious owners, and also with an ability to recruitment adequate replacements (as Brighton have done in recent years), but we don’t know that just yet.

I would probably take 5th or 6th if offered it now, but not 7th or 8th…

We told Arsenal where to go when they came in for Luiz when he only had 6 months left on his contract and we were in the bottom half of the table.  Any of the scum 6 want our players it will take monumental offers.

Also, I think the majority of the squad will want at least another season with Emery, even if we don't make Europe.  They are bound to see what a difference he's made in 5 months, it will be even better with a full season.  We're on the up, they'll want to be a part of that.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, RichW said:

True but top 4 is a completely different level. Newcastle and Man Utd will not drop enough points for Villa to get in just like Villa won’t win every game this season. 

I can already sense the disappointment IF Villa  don’t make Europe when I think everybody would have took 8th when the club was sitting 11th for ages. 

We are relying on Spurs beating Newcastle, which is possible depending on which Spurs turn up. However, Brighton and Liverpool will also be looking at that. 

If Spurs win, it blows it wide open, as Newcastle then have potentially tricky game at Everton, and Spurs have a run in similar to ours.

If Newcastle win on Sunday, then I think it’s game over for the top 4. Probably also the case if it’s a draw.

2 minutes ago, GeordieVillan said:

I get this, but I don’t think a conference league place will be enough to keep all our best players. We are definitely on the radar of the teams above now as a threat, and they will be looking to weaken us by cherry picking our best players in the summer (think Yorke, Delph, Milner, Barry). We may be in a better position to deal with that with our current manager and ambitious owners, and also with an ability to recruitment adequate replacements (as Brighton have done in recent years), but we don’t know that just yet.

I would probably take 5th or 6th if offered it now, but not 7th or 8th…

I can't see anyone significant leaving - why would they? There is no team progressing as fast as us. They all know they are in the form of their lives after only a few months with Emery and would hope to continue to improve. Yes - we are likey to add a few to the squad over the summer, but it's not like we'll be adding 6 or 7 and having a massive overhaul - it's not the way Uani does things.

As a player, they are on the cusp of something great - just can't see what would be more attractive anywhere else.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sulberto21 said:

Whatever happens this season for next season we’ll be even stronger and I’d love to think we’ll get top 4 through the league anyway. 

Problem is that Liverpool, Chelsea and Spurs “should” sort themselves out too - and Newcastle, of course, will be stronger.

But hey, exciting times ahead for sure. 

5 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Didn’t Lineker say on MOTD it was in 1998 the last time we had done that?

Oh fair. I haven’t so are very likely to be correct. I thought we’d hit 4 a number of times…

Just now, bobzy said:

Problem is that Liverpool, Chelsea and Spurs “should” sort themselves out too - and Newcastle, of course, will be stronger.

I agree however we have The best manager in the World. 

And we also have most gorgeous left back ever. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

But you're discounting the teams with " points on board " ahead of us in the same breath? Lol

Catching Man U is realistically gone. Newcastle there’s still a glimmer if Spurs do something. However they might get the confidence then to go on a run and turn us over 😂

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

What makes you think that?

• Chelsea - Complete shambles of a club.
  • Liverpool - Aging squad, need a complete overhaul in midfield.
  • Spurs - Will lose Kane, squad full of bottlers, two elite managers couldn't fix them.

The gap is closing, even United who will probably comfortably finish in top 4 look beatable.  I don't see any of them fixing their issues in one summer window.

• Like 2

We're on a great run but it's important to remain humble and acknowledge the incredible job both Emery and the squad have achieved so far. Getting into Europe in any shape or form would be an insane achievement given where we were when Emery took over. The fact it's even a discussion is pretty crazy and if for whatever reason Europe doesn't happen then it sets us up nicely for next season.

However, with all that in mind, I think Spurs are the one for us to catch if we can continue this momentum. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

I'd say more like 'might' sort themselves out. Liverpool need a massive overhaul of aging players, Chelsea & Spurs still need a manager which will probably drag on into the summer and shorten the time to sort things out. Chelsea's dogs dinner of talented players, but no sign of anyone playing as a team and out of depth owner can see getting worse. Spurs - can see Kane off which will hugely weaken them.

Newcastle, Arse and Citeh will obv still be strong(er).

Can definitely see a solid push for CL next year - this year just a little too late a push, but confident we can sneak in a European place now.

1 hour ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Absolutely.

If it is mathematically possible, I have faith.

Villa are in good form so why not?

Win against Brentford and Fulham and we will be right in the mix for top four!

Spurs to beat Newcastle best result for us?  I think it might be but it depends of our thoughts on making top 4 or top 6.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, duke313 said:

What makes you think that?

• Chelsea - Complete shambles of a club.
  • Liverpool - Aging squad, need a complete overhaul in midfield.
  • Spurs - Will lose Kane, squad full of bottlers, two elite managers couldn't fix them.

The gap is closing, even United who will probably comfortably finish in top 4 look beatable.  I don't see any of them fixing their issues in one summer window.

Mostly, they’re clubs with modern prestige who can attract the very top players (and managers) and have the money to back that up. There’s a reason we have the “top 6”. Even when sides mess up, they’re usually back within 2 seasons - Arsenal possibly the exception here? But they stuck with Arteta and a plan and it’s now paying dividends.

They all look beatable at the moment and the gap is certainly closing overall - but the challenge remains. 

2 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

Spurs to beat Newcastle best result for us?  I think it might be but it depends of our thoughts on making top 4 or top 6.

I think so.

If you look at Newcastle’s fixtures after Spurs, on paper they are easier than ours, and you would expect them to get 3 points at home against Southampton at least.

But Everton away, Arsenal at home, Leeds away, Leicester at home, Chelsea away - these aren’t easy games, some of those will be fighting for the title or survival, and who knows what Chelsea will be like on the final day.

It’s all on Spurs getting a result on Sunday…and then its just about who comes out on top week by week…

56 minutes ago, RichW said:

True but top 4 is a completely different level. Newcastle and Man Utd will not drop enough points for Villa to get in just like Villa won’t win every game this season. 

I can already sense the disappointment IF Villa  don’t make Europe when I think everybody would have took 8th when the club was sitting 11th for ages. 

Manure have to play Lindelof and Maguire for the rest of the season

• Haha 1