Villa’s Race for Europe 22/23

messi11

11 hours ago, nick76 said:

Yes I still think it’s difficult because despite many of them slightly off form, most of them are top half of the table teams because of either their quality or their form over the season so not easy to dismiss.  It’s not like we have a good mix of poor teams and good teams to play…most of the teams we have to play have been in the top half most of the season and have played good football.  

Doesn’t mean we can’t carry on our great run but we have to respect what a lot of them have done this season, understand these teams have earnt good points for a season, have good players and then we beat them 😉

My point though is that it’s difficult because we aren’t playing the poorer teams in the league in our run in, it’s difficult because they are top 11 teams on our run-in mostly.

I agree.  But at the same time - several of them are bang out of form at the moment (although that could change very quickly).  On form alone (which I admit is cherry picking my stats a bit!) when was the last time that we'd play three of the Sly 6 and be "favourites" against each of them?  There are no matches where you'd say that avoiding a hammering was the best of our ambitions - and it has been a long time since that was the case.  Whether our small squad can cope with the demands of the run-in is another matter - but we aren't the only team in that position.  We also don't have any other distractions - whereas the closest teams to us have more matches to get through.  The run-in doesn't look anywhere near as tough as it did 2 months ago. 😉

• Like 2

Wherever we finish this season he's done an incredible job and truly shown up Gerrard who was making a mess of everything.

How we do against other teams in the top 10 will determine how good a season we have. 7 of our last 8 games against top 10 teams. Under Unai we have so far played six times against top 10 teams, winning three and losing three with no draws. If we include Chelsea (who will likely still finish top 10 IMO) it's four wins and three defeats. 

I think we'll finish on around 58 points and either sneak a Europa Conference place in 7th or just miss out in 8th. Either way it should be an exciting end to the season. We could really do with getting Coutinho, Cash and especially Kamara back from injury ASAP as with another injury to Bailey yesterday we really are down to the bare bones.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Liverpool going to be a nightmare to play at Anfield in the run in after that second half. Hard to see us finishing above them but we'll give it a go I'm sure.

Their season will be over by then. They aren’t going all out to beat us to a Europa Conference spot

• Like 1

I didn't see anything special from Liverpool.

Arsenal had plenty of chances to kill that game off but didn't take it.

With our controlled counter attacking style I think we will give them a game at the very least.

Just hope we get a strong ref that will be able to deal with all the incessant whining from the Liverpool players and fans.

Edited by AshVilla

45 minutes ago, TheStagMan said:

Indeed, and this is something that worries me. We are sixth at the moment so I think people's expectations are getting ahead of them. In reality, two teams below us have games in hand and we have a terrible goal difference and a challenging run-in. If we finish 8th, it will be a brilliant result. What we don't want is people being disillusioned with 8th and taking it out on Unai now that we have seen the bright lights of 6th. Anything better than 8th is an exceptional achievement. 

Exactly. If we run out of steam now and still managed 10th, I would still be chuffed. The players are clearly buying into Emery and giving absolutely everything. All bodes well and sets up nicely for a real challenge next season. Honestly, I’ll take whatever place we finally finish in.

Going off topic now but even during the summer and preseason, I’ve total confidence in Emery getting our squad fit and ready. So many times we’ve seen players starting a new season appearing unfit and early results have suffered. Not on Emery’s watch now though.

Edited by ferguson1
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

Still think we’ll finish 8th or 9th, but this is an incredible end to a season for us.

Emery and the players have given us all a lift.

This. I really hope that parts of our fanbase don't lose the plot completely if we finish 8th or 9th after touching 6th. Inevitably tho it will

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, TheStagMan said:

Indeed, and this is something that worries me. We are sixth at the moment so I think people's expectations are getting ahead of them. In reality, two teams below us have games in hand and we have a terrible goal difference and a challenging run-in. If we finish 8th, it will be a brilliant result. What we don't want is people being disillusioned with 8th and taking it out on Unai now that we have seen the bright lights of 6th. Anything better than 8th is an exceptional achievement. 

Unfortunately that’s exactly what will happen if we finish 8th, especially on Twitter.

Edited by duke313