Villa’s Race for Europe 22/23

messi11

13 minutes ago, supermon said:

Really need Boubs, Cash n Coutinho back for the final run in. Biggest fear is fatigue settling in. You could see it from today's first half performance 

A week's rest is fine now for Newcastle.

The Brentford-Fulham-Man. United week will be very difficult though so those three back by then needs to happen.

We do actually play Fulham on the Tuesday and Spurs-Man. United is the Thursday so have 48 hours extra rest. And given they're pretty comfortable again in top 4 and Rashford may be injured I wouldn't rule us out getting something there as we tend to play alright v Man. United these days.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Brighton liverpool Fulham Wolves and Manure will go toe to toe with us. Spurs Brentford and Newcastle a bit more pragmatic. 

But none will sit like Forest. 

I dont know whether that is good or bad for us. 

Good. Our best performances under Emery is when teams attack us.

The passing it slow around the back, Forest never really took the bait and didn’t press. The more attacking teams will press us, and leaves massive gaps between their midfield and defence.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Brighton liverpool Fulham Wolves and Manure will go toe to toe with us. Spurs Brentford and Newcastle a bit more pragmatic. 

But none will sit like Forest. 

I dont know whether that is good or bad for us. 

Wolves will actually sit in v us. They're a funny team as at home since the new year they've beaten all of Liverpool, Spurs and Chelsea yet also lost to Bournemouth and Leeds so no idea how to call that game especially given the huge respect between Unai and Lopteguei. It will be a very tight game though.

Brentford away will be tricky as they'll try to hurt us from set pieces and quick transition play but we totally outplayed them at VP so hopefully the problem with that matchup has long since passed now.

Two more away wins and I think we'll make 6th.

35 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

Newcastle/Draw

Brentford/Draw

Fulham/Win

Utd/Loss

Wolves/Draw

Spurs/Win

Liverpool/Loss

Brighton/Win

My prediction for the run in. 

Newcastle / Loss

Brentford / Draw

Fulham / Win

Utd / Win (Unai Cursebreaker finally gets us the double)

Wolves / Win

Spurs / Draw 

Liverpool / Loss

Brighton / Win

61 points. Renew the passports. 

• Like 2

Just remember we will have at least one other game like Leicester (first one) or even Stevenage where we lose because we give away seemingly stupid goals. It’s part of the process of learning to play that way so when it happens, don’t complain - it’s the process and way of playing that has led to this amazing run. But we can beat anyone. 

• Like 1

I'm so excited. Even if we blip, Unai's recovery record should see us only blip and not fall apart. I said at the beginning of the week 6 points and Europe is seriously on and I really think it is. If we can somehow pick up 4 wins, maybe pick up a draw or two and I think we'll make Europe. Fingers and toes crossed because the club might be going into serious overdrive this summer under Emery. 

18 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

A week's rest is fine now for Newcastle.

The Brentford-Fulham-Man. United week will be very difficult though so those three back by then needs to happen.

We do actually play Fulham on the Tuesday and Spurs-Man. United is the Thursday so have 48 hours extra rest. And given they're pretty comfortable again in top 4 and Rashford may be injured I wouldn't rule us out getting something there as we tend to play alright v Man. United these days.

Surely Brentford and Fulham are dream fixtures now. Both by then will have nothing left to play for 

2 hours ago, Jono62 said:

The results from the final 8 games will be an accurate indicator of where we are in terms of our level. All the teams in that list are in the bottom half and all the ones we are due to play are in the top half. If we can get a decent run of results then it will bode very well for next season.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ellebonnie said:

Newcastle / WIN

Brentford / WIN

Fulham / WIN

Utd / WIN

Wolves / WIN

Spurs / WIN

Liverpool / WIN

Brighton / WIN

🏆💪💪👍👍

And then we only need Newcastle and Utd to score fewer than 14 pts in the remaining 8 games (after we count their losses go us) and we can finish 3rd.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

My only worry now is VAR.

We seen from Brighton today what happens when you start to try and take the top spots away from the established sides.

Yep, I’m expecting some VAR shenanigans in the United, Liverpool and Spurs games.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Nah, just enjoying the evening but know the run in is difficult.  I’m just delighted we are getting top 10 almost definitely now, that’s all I wanted when Emery arrived.  This is just icing on the cake whatever happens from now on.

Is it a difficult run in? 

Newcastle will be tough as only they, Arsenal and Man City have better form than us over the last 5 matches.  But the pressure is all on them.

Brentford haven't won in four - two draws and two losses.  They should change that in their next match but a draw away at Wolves is definitely possible.

Fulham have lost four on the trot and are without their most main goal threat.  Only 2 of the bottom 3 have worse form.

Man Utd's form is a bit all over the place.  On the wrong day it will be a tough ask.  But on the right day they can be pretty poor.  Also worth noting that they play Spurs on the Thursday night - so we'll have had an extra 48 hours to recover from our previous match.

Wolves away - we owe them big time.  Looks like they might be pulling clear of the relegation zone so might have little to play for.  But only Everton have scored fewer goals this season and we've not failed to score for like forever.

Spurs still look like a car crash about to happen.  If both clubs continue on form over the last 6 matches then victory at home could put us ahead of them in the table.

Liverpool have won pretty much 50% of the points we have in the last 5 matches.  They've looked very ordinary in their last 3 matches and their season could well be over by the time we play them.  (Alternatively they might win their last 8 matches!)

Brighton last up could be a belter with a real cup final importance.

We don't have Arsenal or Man City to play and at the moment they are the only two teams that I'd be pessimistic about playing.  Obviously it could be easier but several of those matches are looking less daunting than maybe they were a month or two ago.

20 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

The results from the final 8 games will be an accurate indicator of where we are in terms of our level. All the teams in that list are in the bottom half and all the ones we are due to play are in the top half. If we can get a decent run of results then it will bode very well for next season.

I hope we can win as many as we lose. If we can win 3, lose 3 and get a couple of draws it would be an excellent end to the season, considering the difficult games coming up.

4 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

How many points where we behind Chelsea when Emery took over?

At the end of match week 12, we were 11 points behind Chelsea.

Not sure why we want to measure our performance against a mediocre mid-table side though.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2