Villa’s Race for Europe 22/23

messi11

Realistically I still think Europe may be a bridge too far, but if we do it, surely Emery must be in with a shout for manager of the season. From where we were when he joined, and given that we barely strengthened, arguably weakened in Jan, it would be a phenomenal achievement. As good as any Villa manager in my time supporting since the early 90's.

Hell even a top half finish would be impressive.

7 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Realistically I still think Europe may be a bridge too far, but if we do it, surely Emery must be in with a shout for manager of the season. From where we were when he joined, and given that we barely strengthened, arguably weakened in Jan, it would be a phenomenal achievement. As good as any Villa manager in my time supporting since the early 90's.

He's not gonna get Manager of the Season ahead of Arteta if Arsenal win the league.

7 minutes ago, duke313 said:

He's not gonna get Manager of the Season ahead of Arteta if Arsenal win the league.

I know, and tbf Arteta has done a good job, but Emery has had the harder task imo. Arsenal has a much, much better squad.

27 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

I know, and tbf Arteta has done a good job, but Emery has had the harder task imo. Arsenal has a much, much better squad.

Nobody had Arsenal in their title predictions at the start of the season I don't think. His done a very good job this season and deserves it (if they do win the league).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RichW said:

Nobody had Arsenal in their title predictions at the start of the season I don't think. His done a very good job this season and deserves it (if they do win the league).

Indeed - very few people even had Arsenal in their top 4.  FWIW, the best odds at the start of the season were:

Man City - 8/13
Liverpool - 11/4
Spurs - 14/1
Chelsea - 16/1
Man Utd - 40/1
Arsenal - 40/1

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Indeed - very few people even had Arsenal in their top 4.  FWIW, the best odds at the start of the season were:

Man City - 8/13
Liverpool - 11/4
Spurs - 14/1
Chelsea - 16/1
Man Utd - 40/1
Arsenal - 40/1

If Emery does get Villa into the European places at the end of the season then it shows his doing an incredible job so far but it's not worthy of winning manager of the year. 

1 hour ago, SecretVillaScout said:

5th, 6th, 7th place are all there for the taking now! Time to take this seriously. We can do it.

5th?  Nine points behind, worse GD and Man U have a game in hand. Plus they play Brentford tonight who we can catch, so need them to at least draw or win. I love what we're doing, but 5th ain't going to happen - sorry to piss on your chips.

Just now, rubberman said:

5th?  Nine points behind, worse GD and Man U have a game in hand. Plus they play Brentford tonight who we can catch, so need them to at least draw or win. I love what we're doing, but 5th ain't going to happen - sorry to piss on your chips.

Is sadly the correct answer. 

Those saying we should expect 8th -10th are going too far the other way.

We should expect that we continue as we've done so far.  And if we do that, then 7th or 6th is very much a possibility. 

You don't account for injuries in that view, but then the teams around us fighting for that spot have the same potential concerns.

Not to mention,  when we lost one of our best players to injury (that many would have said as key to our play) Emery carried on as if nothing had happened.

Fine to accept top half if we finish 10th due to injury or Chelsea finally going on a crazy run and the rest of the top half maintaining their form, but there's no reason to expect it before it happens. 

Beat Leicester tonight and I'm sure we'll be top 7 by the end of the Forest game.

2 hours ago, bobzy said:

Man City - 8/13
Liverpool - 11/4
Spurs - 14/1
Chelsea - 16/1
Man Utd - 40/1
Arsenal - 40/1

Yikes. 40/1. I didn't realise the odds were that long.

• Shocked 1

Next 5 more winnable than the final 5 on paper, would back us in any of them.

Leicester (a), Forest (h), Newcastle (h), Brentford (a), Fulham (h). 10 points probably minimum aim from these to give us a shot at top 7. If we could get maximum or close to it (13-15 would put us on 54-56 with 5 still to play) then we are in a really strong position.

Man Utd (a), Wolves (a), Spurs (h), Liverpool (a), Brighton (h) is a tough finish. Would feel pretty good if only needed 4-6 points to hit 60 for the season. More likely we'd probably need closer to 10. Doable, but the Utd and Liverpool games are the toughest left as both are solid at home.

There’s absolutely the opportunity to make 6th, but it would take a miraculous run of form in the last ten games. I know we have previous for that, but it’s not likely now. The club will be trying to win each game and see where it takes us, momentum is massive so you never know, but it’s more realistic that we finish 8th-10th. That still represents success, we were awful under Gerrard, top half will be a great platform to build on next season. 

4 hours ago, HKP90 said:

Arteta would have to win manager of the season if Arsenal hold on. Who on here tipped Arsenal for the title at the start of the season 😂

2 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

There’s absolutely the opportunity to make 6th, but it would take a miraculous run of form in the last ten games. I know we have previous for that, but it’s not likely now. The club will be trying to win each game and see where it takes us, momentum is massive so you never know, but it’s more realistic that we finish 8th-10th. That still represents success, we were awful under Gerrard, top half will be a great platform to build on next season. 

19 points from our final 10 games gets us to 60, gives us an outside chance of 6th and decent chance of 7th. 19 points from 10 games is mariginally below our form to date under Emery. Feels less miraculous and more achievable right now.

• Like 1

Just now, tomsky_11 said:

19 points from our final 10 games gets us to 60, gives us an outside chance of 6th and decent chance of 7th. 19 points from 10 games is mariginally below our form to date under Emery. Feels less miraculous and more achievable right now.

image.jpeg.fa3f66b1ec034769a4aa9af665551383.jpeg

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, tomsky_11 said:

I know what you’re saying, it’s only a continuation of our current form. I just think it’s unlikely that we’ll continue at the 1.9ppg rate all the way through. I’d bloody love it to happen though, I’m praying it does. 

Tonight is a massive game for us tbh. 6 points this week and the chase will be on imo. We'll also have a shitload of confidence going into the final run in against teams we can 100% beat if we are on it.  

• Like 1