Villa’s Race for Europe 22/23

messi11

This thread is hilarious...  Drop points one week and it's all doom and gloom, but win the next and we're still in it.  

Let's just enjoy the ride.  Emery is 100% the right man to take us forward and if we come up short this season, we'll get there either next year or the following.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tomsky_11 said:

Lol what?! If somehow they don't?! They are nowhere near. Not happening.

They have some fantastic players and could very well have a good last 10 games or so with the squad they have.

Not saying they will, but it wouldn't surprise me of they ended up in yhe top 7 as those clubs always find a way in the end.

There are people (well someone) who thinks we are likely to finish in the top 7 and we are below Chelsea so....

Edited by GlobalVillan

Chelsea aren't better than us right now. We absolutely can go there and beat them, and if we are actually thinking Europe, *we have to beat them*. They are our primary rival right now. Huge game, and the two week build up will increase the hype!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

They have some fantastic players and could very well have a good last 10 games or so with the squad they have.

Not saying they will, but it wouldn't surprise me of they ended up in yhe top 7 as those clubs always find a way in the end.

They've had 4 wins in last 18 games. They've had 4 points in 10 games against current top half sides in that time. They'd probably need 7 wins from last 11 games to stand a chance of top 7. The current league positions of the teams they still have to play: 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 8, 11, 13, 16, 19.

Edited by tomsky_11

It’s funny how in the past when title contenders are level on points the media describe it as “joint top” yet the media have not mentioned once that we are level on points with Chelsea looking at the table today.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, tomsky_11 said:

They've had 4 wins in last 18 games. They've had 4 points in 10 games against current top half sides in that time. They'd probably need 7 wins from last 11 games to stand a chance of top 7. The current league positions of the teams they still have to play: 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 8, 11, 13, 16, 19.

It's Brighton's to lose really I suppose, unless Brentford can squeeze in but with the games in hand, Brighton have a great chance. 

5 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

It's Brighton's to lose really I suppose, unless Brentford can squeeze in but with the games in hand, Brighton have a great chance. 

Brighton should get to 60 points with their remaining games. I don't think Brentford are getting that close. Better chance than Chelsea though.

Brentford fixtures are -

Brighton (a), Man Utd (a), Newcastle (h), Wolves (a), Villa (h), Chelsea (a), Forest (h), Liverpool (a), West Ham (h), Spurs (a), Man City (h)

I don’t think they will win against Brighton, Man Utd, Newcastle, Chelsea, Liverpool, Spurs or Man City. My estimate is about 3 draws from those. 

So that leaves the more winnable matches of Wolves, Villa, Forest and West Ham. I reckon two wins and a draw from those. 

So I’m estimating 10 points, which I accept seems low. To allow a margin of error I’ll bump it up to 13 points which takes them up to 55.

I think whether we can finish above them is basically going to come down to whether we beat them at their place. 

31 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Chelsea aren't better than us right now. We absolutely can go there and beat them, and if we are actually thinking Europe, *we have to beat them*. They are our primary rival right now. Huge game, and the two week build up will increase the hype!

If Brighton win just one fo their 2 games in hand on us, they will be 7 points clear. Win both and its 10 points. We still have to go to Liverpool, Chelsea and Man United where we usually take no points. 

Its all about next season. And finishing as strongly as we can and hopefully finish top half to attract better players.

15 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

If Brighton win just one fo their 2 games in hand on us, they will be 7 points clear. Win both and its 10 points. We still have to go to Liverpool, Chelsea and Man United where we usually take no points. 

Its all about next season. And finishing as strongly as we can and hopefully finish top half to attract better players.

Why don’t you wait to see what will we do there first?

Liverpool themselves are 4 points ahead, they’ll have some tough games coming up. Winning against Chelsea will change the whole equation. We play Liverpool and Brighton at the end of the season, could be so critical games. Just do our job before that and see where it takes us. 

54 minutes ago, maqroll said:

6pt game

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, abdulaziz1 said:

Liverpool themselves are 4 points ahead, they’ll have some tough games coming up. Winning against Chelsea will change the whole equation. We play Liverpool and Brighton at the end of the season, could be so critical games. Just do our job before that and see where it takes us. 

I think we will finish the season well and I suspect we may even surprise one or two of the clubs above us in the run in. It's just to overhaul all those teams above us with the amount of games left is not viable.

I'm so excited for next season though.as I think we will be in the race next year.

4 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

I think we will finish the season well and I suspect we may even surprise one or two of the clubs above us in the run in. It's just to overhaul all those teams above us with the amount of games left is not viable.

I'm so excited for next season though.as I think we will be in the race next year.

11 games is still good amount of games to be played. As long as we have a reasonable chance we should play for it. Let’s see what happens against Chelsea, if we won that Liverpool will most likely lose against City. But all of those things are early to speak about. Let’s see what’s happens against Chelsea first.

Really important we don't lose at Chelsea next.

They have a near identical run in to us so going to be little in it I think.

We also seem to gift them a goal so we're overdue a good defensive performance v them and our record is generally pretty good v Potter teams in premier league.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

This is incorrect. Don't know how transfermarkt managed to mess it up but they did

I checked they don’t count postponed matches from rounds earlier than the selected starting round. In other word if the queen hadn’t died, the table would have been fine.

16 minutes ago, viivvaa66 said:

I checked they don’t count postponed matches from rounds earlier than the selected starting round. In other word if the queen hadn’t died, the table would have been fine.

I figured that was what it was so the one I posted from whoscored more accurate as postponed games played by other teams during Emery's tenure are relative to form

2 hours ago, GlobalVillan said:

There are people (well someone) who thinks we are likely to finish in the top 7 and we are below Chelsea so....

If you understood what I initially posted I wouldn't have to repeat once again for you...

Whilst it's mathematically possible I will be positive. Likely? No I did not say that so get it straight....it was a possibility were my words....

From the posts below it isn't just "someone" who has faith...

2 hours ago, maqroll said:

Absolutely.

Otherwise what's the point, let's just be negative and say it can't be done. Does anyone really think Emery will be telling the players that there is no chance? Of course not, he'll be super-positive until it is mathematically impossible.

2 hours ago, tomsky_11 said:

Yup. Based on their performances of late and tonight against Everton they don't look to be improving.

1 hour ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Brentford fixtures are -

Brighton (a), Man Utd (a), Newcastle (h), Wolves (a), Villa (h), Chelsea (a), Forest (h), Liverpool (a), West Ham (h), Spurs (a), Man City (h)

I don’t think they will win against Brighton, Man Utd, Newcastle, Chelsea, Liverpool, Spurs or Man City. My estimate is about 3 draws from those. 

So that leaves the more winnable matches of Wolves, Villa, Forest and West Ham. I reckon two wins and a draw from those. 

So I’m estimating 10 points, which I accept seems low. To allow a margin of error I’ll bump it up to 13 points which takes them up to 55.

I think whether we can finish above them is basically going to come down to whether we beat them at their place. 

Based on the facts Villa have to play Chelsea, Fulham, Brentford and Brighton we have a big say in European qualification. Yet the last fixture won't matter as according to some Nostradamus because Brighton will be out of sight by then. 

1 hour ago, abdulaziz1 said:

This is why if Villa hold form it's possible to get a few places higher at the very least. If we stay third in the form table for the last eleven games we'd be seventh.

49 minutes ago, abdulaziz1 said:

11 games is still good amount of games to be played. As long as we have a reasonable chance we should play for it. Let’s see what happens against Chelsea, if we won that Liverpool will most likely lose against City. But all of those things are early to speak about. Let’s see what’s happens against Chelsea first.

Exactly, don't understand why someone is so keen to write-off the season. 

47 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Really important we don't lose at Chelsea next.

They have a near identical run in to us so going to be little in it I think.

We also seem to gift them a goal so we're overdue a good defensive performance v them and our record is generally pretty good v Potter teams in premier league.

Again I said this a few pages back and was called out on it which was weird....

The relegation places are so tight as are the European places. So difficult to call...

Strange how someone is so keen to write this season off when there is so much to play for....

We all must be Happy Clappers and have our heads in the sand aswell....

Edited by Zhan_Zhuang

4 hours ago, viivvaa66 said:

Here you are.

# Club   W D L Goals +/- Pts
1  Arsenal FC Arsenal 13 10 2 1 27:11 16 32
2  Manchester City Man City English Champion 21/22 13 8 2 3 23:11 12 26
3  Aston Villa Aston Villa 14 8 2 4 24:19 5 26
4  Manchester United Man Utd 12 8 1 3 21:16 5 25
5  Brentford FC Brentford 13 6 6 1 22:12 10 24
6  Liverpool FC Liverpool FA Cup Winner 21/22 13 7 2 4 22:14 8 23
7  Newcastle United Newcastle 13 6 5 2 15:9 6 23
8  Tottenham Hotspur Tottenham 14 7 2 5 24:20 4 23
9  Brighton & Hove Albion Brighton 12 6 3 3 26:16 10 21
10  Fulham FC Fulham  English 2nd tier champion 21/22 13 5 2 6 14:14 0 17
11  Wolverhampton Wanderers Wolves 14 5 2 7 16:20 -4 17
12  Nottingham Forest Nottm Forest   14 4 5 5 14:21 -7 17
13  Chelsea FC Chelsea 13 4 4 5 9:9 0 16
14  Leicester City Leicester 14 4 2 8 17:22 -5 14
15  Leeds United Leeds 14 3 4 7 18:23 -5 13
16  Southampton FC Southampton 14 3 2 9 12:24 -12 11
17  AFC Bournemouth Bournemouth   14 3 2 9 13:26 -13 11
18  Everton FC Everton 13 3 2 8 9:22 -13 11
19  West Ham United West Ham 13 2 4 7 13:21 -8 10
20  Crystal Palace Crystal Palace 13 2 4 7 7:16 -9 10

Surprised Fulham have only taken 17 points in same period, they weren't that far ahead of us when UE came in so not sure how we're not above them. Brentford also going on a very good run from early November is annoying but I don't see them winning that many games with the fixtures they have left.

We shouldn't be finishing lower than 9th now and very possible we could get 8th as I can't see Chelsea getting above 55 points with the away games they have left.