AVFC - a sleeping giant in a coma

MikeMcKenna

1 hour ago, avfc1982am said:

No...I think it's a crock of shit and you are a depressive character. End of.

It does take some doing having another VTer calling you a 'depressive character'. 😅😂

9 hours ago, zab6359 said:

Major cup final? You mean the one everyone plays there kids in until the semi final. It’s a nothing cup that one I’d rather finish in the top 10 than win it.

It's still a major trophy ffs. And you get a europa league spot rather than having to slog it out for 38 games against some really good teams.

Ownership is always looking for legacy aswell so NSWE would feel their investment would be worth it if we won league cup under their tenure imo.

9 hours ago, abdulaziz1 said:

We had a chance at the end of the last two seasons to play youngsters more. Our managers kept losing, and player senior non performing players.

Not just that, the senior non performing players were the same ones who weren't performing in October under the previous manager! So we're none the wiser whether Sanson is good enough for top half prem given he wasn't given a run of 4-5 starts in a row, Buendia couldn't even get that end of last season either.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VillaJ100 said:

They didn't. They played with Scott Dann and the other meatball CB parked on the edge of their own 18 yard box desperately trying to avoid a complete battering and got one break they scored from, coupled with Arsenal and I think Cazorla in particular missing about 10 chances. I don't think it was a thing then but the xG must have been about 4.5 to 0.3 or something 

I thought they played well on the day personally not that I really want to talk about it much obviously.

Our xG for 2015 cup final must've been record low, don't think we had a shot on target or even a corner and just damage limitation from the first minute.

11 hours ago, MikeMcKenna said:

in my opinion our current owners don’t have much to crow about. 

Why do you think this? They have invested massively, from the first team down to the youth. They built a massive new training complex, they are expanding the stadium, they are building youth satellite centres. I genuinely can’t see why aren’t held in esteem by you. 

As for the sleeping giant, it’s a tough one. Football has moved on a lot recently (10 yrs) and Villa were very slow to react, we are now playing catch up. We’ve been to a few cup finals, so just need a bit of luck to go our way in these. Get a good manager man, and we can close some of the gap, but we’ll never be at the top again.

30 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

I think that wouldn’t be good for us at all Andy. The big clubs either wouldn’t stand for it or run into the arms of some sort of European Super league. Or it would be set up in such a way that so favoured them that we and everyone else would be locked out forever. 

The problem is the big clubs like City can just poach Grealish, Phillips etc and barely use them, it just stops us from progressing. Something has to give.

11 hours ago, daft said:

I think this is pretty much spot on. The game has indeed gone. 

The big boys are settled, they have their roles, and to teams like Villa are just extras. Faceless enemies that occasionally acts as bumps in the road as All or Nothing docu-dramas tries to compete with the other big boys but somehow loses the odd game to us. 

We have been left behind, and the anger among us in the fanbase is just the pain of this dawning on us. 

Newcastle MIGHT so something if they find ways to use their unlimited money cheat code without FFP issues. 

We're no longer a giant, sleeping or not. 

We're dead. 

We are no longer a giant we're not dead though. 

I'd say we currently are a medium sized club along with the likes of Everton and Newcastle. 

That only means we have a lot of potential to grow though 😉

• Like 1

Is probably about 80 professional clubs in the league envious of our owners/stadium/potential it just hasnt clicked for some reason.

Appointing a high profile clown has put us back about 3 years when we were ticking along nicely below the radar. 

• Like 1

We had our chances to join the elite. We blew it and now the gap is almost impossible to break due to the rules put in. Unless you are owned by a morally dubious oil rich country who wants a sportswashing project.

At best we can be a mid table/upper top half side with an occasional cup run and maybe a conference league spot.

Might sound defeatist but unless the fundamentals of the economies of the game change I can't see anything better.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, AndyM3000 said:

The problem is the big clubs like City can just poach Grealish, Phillips etc and barely use them, it just stops us from progressing. Something has to give.

I agree something has to give but I’m not sure what or even if anything will give. You’re thinking fair fight, level playing field. The people running the sport are thinking the polar opposite. 

The product doesn't want competitiveness really. There are 6 global brands in which global fans can support and the rest is just cannon fodder. Newcastle might try and join the club but it is going to be hard even for them. Same with the CL, basically only teams from 4 leagues plus PSG could actually win it nowadays. Ajax tried too a few years ago and had to sell all their best players again. The system is broken but there are not enough true fans to actually result in it being changed.

Edited by The Fun Factory
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Pinebro said:

We are no longer a giant we're not dead though. 

I'd say we currently are a medium sized club along with the likes of Everton and Newcastle. 

That only means we have a lot of potential to grow though 😉

Yeah, one should never say never. Things might be shaken up if we're lucky.

1 hour ago, The Fun Factory said:

We had our chances to join the elite. We blew it and now the gap is almost impossible to break due to the rules put in. Unless you are owned by a morally dubious oil rich country who wants a sportswashing project.

At best we can be a mid table/upper top half side with an occasional cup run and maybe a conference league spot.

Might sound defeatist but unless the fundamentals of the economies of the game change I can't see anything better.

Love villa, hate the PL... 

Far too many people don't want to see the truth that you're saying because they think it's a criticism of the club and not the league 

The PL has gone to shit and no one seems to want to say anything 

• Thanks 1

Simplistically, imo a combination of 3 things outside the size of a club/fan base determine a clubs success or progression. 

• A good board
  • Good players
  • Good manager

A good board, good manager and poor players will leave you with a long road ahead but possible success at the end of it, or at least progression. Good players and a good manager can do wonders....Without a good board though it will never be sustainable, as we saw during the MON period. A good board and good players but without the manager will give you a mess. Generally you will get a team that has more bad days than good, a team that looks lost at times, never finding consistency, always looking like new players are needed to sort out the problems. 

I've been saying it for a long time but when MON first came in(forget the spend), the club removed the cloud that was hovering overhead. The fans loved him, players too and we became a genuine threat to all those teams we now hold on some nonsense pedestal. Everyone was on the same page, until we realised the board was in a mess and it all became unsustainable, eventually falling apart. We've been in this slumber since because we haven't had the above ingredients or been anywhere close to having the owners/board to bring together the other missing ingredients. Until NSWE came in.  

We now have 2 out of the 3 again though, but only because we still can't get the most important position in the club right we will remain in this slumber. The manager decision is now the most critical at any club but more so at top level in order to deal with the ego's around you. Once we get the managerial appointment right, with a good board backing them, everything will start to fall into place. It really is on the owners/board to not continually repeat the mistakes that others before them have created for themselves. They need to really get this right if they want any success at all.  

We just need a manager that brings out the best in everyone. Someone that the fans respect, the players understand and want to play for, and that the board will back. 

• Like 1

Imho.the longer we leave it ( getting a proper manager ) the harder it will be to get into the european places.

A few years ago the top places were filled by,Liverpool,Man $ity,ManUre ,Arsenal.Now,as well as the above.We have Spurs,Leicester and Wet spam,so if w leave it too long we will also have (probably ) Brighton,Wolves and a couple of other teams as well.

1 hour ago, mikeyp102 said:

As for the sleeping giant, it’s a tough one. Football has moved on a lot recently (10 yrs) and Villa were very slow to react, we are now playing catch up.

Exactly this, except it goes back more than 10 years...more like 30. The problem goes back to Deadly Doug. People make fun of his eccentricities and his tendency to fire managers, but that wasn't the real problem. People say that he was cheap, and that wasn't quite right either. He didn't get where he got in business if he didn't know how to invest money. His problem was that he failed to see that things were changing. He thought that he was the community businessman-caretaker of a small-time operation and that it would always be that way. If he had recognized that things were about to get a whole lot bigger, that an investment would have paid off, maybe he would have spent what he needed to and we would have ridden the wave from an advantageous position. He didn't. (But at least he didn't do a Leeds and overspend.)

Think about it...the end of the 1992-93 season, one year into the PL era, we had won the league and finished second twice, plus won a European Cup, in the last 13 years. We were in a position to do great things. We were unquestionably a big club. DD didn't do what he had to.

Edited by TomC
Fixed typo

I'd say Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea and Man City right now are big clubs.

I would only look at Man Utd and Liverpool as mega clubs

Medium clubs I'd go Villa, Newcastle, West Ham, Everrton. 

Leeds and Forest still small because of the amount of time they've spent in the Championship. They've got a lot of catching up to do.

2 hours ago, Talldarkandransome said:

Oh god another thread to keep an eye on

We are not far away, we have owners, we have stadium plan, we have money, we have the basis of a decent squad.

Just one thing missing for me

Someone to coach them

This 

Â