AVFC - a sleeping giant in a coma

MikeMcKenna

In the 20 years from 1990 to 2010 we had seven managers, who enjoyed some respectable positions in the league and league cup wins.  In the last 12 years we have had nine managers and next to no success apart from cup runners up and promotion via the Championship play offs.  

Supposedly one of the ‘sleeping giants’ it is like we have fallen into a coma. Gerrard is almost certainly finished and in my opinion our current owners don’t have much to crow about. What is it going to take to wake us up?

Edited by MikeMcKenna
  • Like 2

Our chance was 20/21.

Had a good thing going that season with rock solid defence and we were above Arsenal up to about March so had a really good chance to finish above them and Spurs which would've been a big statement. Now both are miles ahead of us again.

Simply didn't strengthen enough that January given Sanson has ultimately been a waste of a signing. So Grealish centric we simply didn't have any sort of plan for him not being around when injured or ultimately sold.

This was the table after beating Arsenal 1-0 on Feb 6th 2021:

Aston Villa 1-0 Arsenal: Keeper Mat Ryan concedes 74 seconds into Gunners debut - BBC Sport

8th in the table, one point off Chelsea who finished top 4 that season and above North London.

That was our chance and as we've seen regularly in last 25 years you don't take it and other clubs will quickly regroup and speed past you. Arsenal 11 looked very average but 18 months on they have a very exciting team again.

Perhaps if we'd finished 7th someone like Ward Prowse would've been more keen to move to us.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

27 minutes ago, Tayls said:

Because of how bad the entire game is at the minute, I don’t think we ever will. There just isn’t any room for us to succeed. 

I think this is pretty much spot on. The game has indeed gone. 

The big boys are settled, they have their roles, and to teams like Villa are just extras. Faceless enemies that occasionally acts as bumps in the road as All or Nothing docu-dramas tries to compete with the other big boys but somehow loses the odd game to us. 

We have been left behind, and the anger among us in the fanbase is just the pain of this dawning on us. 

Newcastle MIGHT so something if they find ways to use their unlimited money cheat code without FFP issues. 

We're no longer a giant, sleeping or not. 

We're dead. 

• Sad 2

11 minutes ago, daft said:

I think this is pretty much spot on. The game has indeed gone. 

The big boys are settled, they have their roles, and to teams like Villa are just extras. Faceless enemies that occasionally acts as bumps in the road as All or Nothing docu-dramas tries to compete with the other big boys but somehow loses the odd game to us. 

We have been left behind, and the anger among us in the fanbase is just the pain of this dawning on us. 

Newcastle MIGHT so something if they find ways to use their unlimited money cheat code without FFP issues. 

We're no longer a giant, sleeping or not. 

We're dead. 

What a crock of shit. 

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, Tayls said:

Because of how bad the entire game is at the minute, I don’t think we ever will. There just isn’t any room for us to succeed. 

I disagree. There are three clubs capable of breaking into the elite: Villa, Everton, and Newcastle. Just add money and wisdom. Everton spent the money (more than Liverpool) but didn't spend it wisely and is suffering. Newcastle is spending money, spending it wisely, and is on the way up. We've spent some and will probably spent more, but we're at a critical juncture. NSWE better make some good decisions over the next few years or we'll be more like Everton than Newcastle. I think that most of us know what decision #1 is.

• Like 3

I'll add that, unlike other leagues, England has never had a big 1 (Germany), 2 (Spain), or 3 (Italy). It's always been a big 4, 5, or 6, and the group has been in flux over time. With Man U in chaos and Chelsea in transition, it isn't a bad time for someone to move up.

Let's also not forget that we outperformed Spurs over the first 20 or so years of the PL era. If anyone can be picked off and replaced, it's them.

I sadly fear that I won't see villa back in the glory days of finishing in European spot or win a trophy; in my lifetime. The gulf between the top 6 and us use just too much, it will either be mid table obscurity it relegation battles in the premier league.

13 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

Was Big Ron the last manager we appointed who had won trophies in top flight English football?

As others have said we need a top quality manager to replace Gerrard.

Houllier had but he was pretty much the managerial equivalent of signing Ginola or Pires, miles past his peak.

Might've worked out with him if he'd come in summer 2006 instead of O'Neill as he was doing alright with Lyon at the time.

O'Neill won two league cups at Leicester aswell so he was certainly the last managerial appointment that massively excited the fanbase and also wider football world.

8 minutes ago, supermon said:

I sadly fear that I won't see villa back in the glory days of finishing in European spot or win a trophy; in my lifetime. The gulf between the top 6 and us use just too much, it will either be mid table obscurity it relegation battles in the premier league.

We were in a major cup final all of three years ago. Just got to actually turn up on the day for once and play lights out (second half v Man. City we actually gave it a go but as ever with us we were too tentative first 30 minutes and they quickly got into 2-0 lead via ridiculous corner award). Our nearest and dearest have done it in recent times which was embarrassing at the time but thankfully they've imploded since and won't be happening again. I remember watching it and deep down having a grudging respect for how they played v Arsenal on the day as they believed they could win it from first minute, dug in and got the luck right at the end. Then we played like we did v similar Arsenal 11 in 2015.....

Winning a cup can be done if we have a decent squad, get some luck with the draw and then really really believe on the day. Don't see why we can't have a good european run either given how strong the premier league is now.

Leicester have done both in last two years albeit they're now on a massive comedown.

Edited by VillaChris

53 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

We were in a major cup final all of three years ago. Just got to actually turn up on the day for once and play lights out (second half v Man. City we actually gave it a go but as ever with us we were too tentative first 30 minutes and they quickly got into 2-0 lead via ridiculous corner award). Our nearest and dearest have done it in recent times which was embarrassing at the time but thankfully they've imploded since and won't be happening again. I remember watching it and deep down having a grudging respect for how they played v Arsenal on the day as they believed they could win it from first minute, dug in and got the luck right at the end. Then we played like we did v similar Arsenal 11 in 2015.....

Winning a cup can be done if we have a decent squad, get some luck with the draw and then really really believe on the day. Don't see why we can't have a good european run either given how strong the premier league is now.

Leicester have done both in last two years albeit they're now on a massive comedown.

Major cup final? You mean the one everyone plays there kids in until the semi final. It’s a nothing cup that one I’d rather finish in the top 10 than win it.

Edited by zab6359

Not downhearted at all just annoyed we havent changed manager yet. We have good players and owners thats the most important thing. 

Lots of big clubs go through terrible decades, Look at Liverpool and hopefully ManU.

These opportunities of having money to spend and good players already in the building dont come around very often for football clubs.

Its why I am in such a rush for us to get in a good manager. The owners might get bored next season, we dont know. The time to push up the table is now. We have all the right ingredients, we just need a good chef.

1 hour ago, BigJim said:

Get a progressive manager in.

Get Jack back.

Consolidate mid table for a season or two.

Start bringing through our amazing youngsters.

And we'll be a match for anybody.

We had a chance at the end of the last two seasons to play youngsters more. Our managers kept losing, and player senior non performing players.

Â