Leander Dendoncker

HalfTimePost

Decent player, but he's not some top class ball winner. I'd say he's OK at that and does the simple stuff well. Kamara IMO is still a better ball winner than him, on top of all the other advantages he has.

Edited by Tom13

22 minutes ago, StanBalaban said:

Wonder if he's being considered for the Legia game, perhaps alongside Youri in the centre?

I think we’ll field a strong side and show the competition respect.  I think his first start will be in the League Cup vs Everton.

2 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

I think we’ll field a strong side and show the competition respect.  I think his first start will be in the League Cup vs Everton.

I don't think a midfield duo of Tielemans and Dendoncker would be any disrespect to the competition in fairness. We're going to need to rotate a bit, and they're two expensive Belgian internationals.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

Oh I don't doubt for a second that we'll go strong. Thankfully, we have some good options in the squad that can ensure we take the competition seriously, but still keep key players like Dougie, Bouba and possibly SJM fresh for Chelsea.

Let's not forget that the Donk is one of the first choice CB's for Belgium. If he's back to fitness, these are the type of games that he's for.

Edited by StanBalaban
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, blunther said:

I don't think a midfield duo of Tielemans and Dendoncker would be any disrespect to the competition in fairness. We're going to need to rotate a bit, and they're two expensive Belgian internationals.

I don’t doubt that we will rotate I imagine Tielemans will start possibly Lenglet , I just think given it’s the first game we won’t rotate heavily.

1 hour ago, blunther said:

To me playing in europe is a tweak in style, especially in pressing, easy to be naive and give soft "non PL" fouls away, under MON we were exactly that, to be fair the PL has gone softer since so it might not be as much of a thing anymore

Dendoncker has 30 games for Belgium and 50 games in europe

I'd lazily guess that's as many as anyone we have, he shouldn't be naive to European football

• 2 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

The thing is, he was a starter in what were arguably our best three performances last season (Brentford, Man Utd, Saudis) so he can be of use. 

But he has these games in his locker too.

Dear oh dear.

Even in those games, he made some bad passes too, just not overtly punished for it. 

His passing isn’t crisp enough to play in this system. He can Dendonkey his way if we’re ahead but otherwise wince when he has the ball. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Don't understand why we just didn't play him central midfield.

Kamara has been off so far this season so should've rested him and played Donk centrally.

CB in a back 4 is too big an ask, he mostly played in a back 3 at Wolves and also for Belgium on occasions.

He did play in midfield. 

Â