Pre-match thread

Wainy316

16 hours ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Wish we went for the profile of player West Ham do. The size of their squad is huge, who’ve they signed this season? Kehrer, Paqueta, Scamacca- all big 6footers. Now going for 6”5 Hans Vanaken. Its a clear tactic to have units to bully teams and it works in the Prem. How we havent addressed this in 3/4 years is limiting us in these sort of games. Its often a game of margins, set pieces, all those old clichés; and its true. We have watched West Ham beat us consistently the last couple of years- even that game we absolutely dominated them we ended up losing because we couldnt finish our dinner and they lump 2 balls into the box for 2 headers.

Surprisingly, it was stated in the latest Villa View podcast that the average height of our team is greater than West Ham’s! That’s the first elevens btw. Can’t remember the figures but they were given…

No doubt that we lack physicality and presence though, quite badly.

8 hours ago, smg said:

Why not let Gerrard try and win those ? You want another manager, so name him and then explain why he will achieve what you expect him to do . Looking forward to your response.

I'll come back to you after the tonight's match, as I'm still in the boat of wanting SG to succeed. He has to really show something tonight, in terms of team selection.

If he picks to the same culprits and we put in another woeful performance, then he gets till City to change things..

If not, those run of games listed are for a new manager to get some momentum back before we all take the most ridiculous break from a season ever.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

I'll come back to you after the tonight's match, as I'm still in the boat of wanting SG to succeed. He has to really show something tonight, in terms of team selection.

If he picks to the same culprits and we put in another woeful performance, then he gets till City to change things..

If not, those run of games listed are for a new manager to get some momentum back before we all take the most ridiculous break from a season ever.

Really good point about how long the break is this season,

This would be the opportune time to make staff changes if necessary.  What ever boat we are in, we all want SG to succeed or rather we all want the Villa to succeed . My thoughts are that I don't care who the manager is as long as we are winning more games than we are losing (it could be the bloke over the road as far as I am concerned) Need to start winning and looking like we could win or get a new broom

Edited by Robtaylor200
  • Like 1

If he gets the win today I’ll be delighted for him and for us. Any points against City and Arsenal would be a bonus. Expecting none.

If we lose With a dire performance - I’m sorry but he’s got to go.

if we play well and lose, then maybe see how we go against the next couple 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Jas10 said:

Thoughts on this take? Many seem to agree in the replies…

The crowd was decent v Everton, not as quiet as has been made out, certainly behind the team. I also think the match going crowd isn’t as anti-Gerrard as those who are solely on social media might believe. 

It’s will be unpleasant if the performance is poor. I actually don’t think we’re that different from other fan bases though. For all the love that Potter gets on here, Brighton fans were booing him and them only a matter of months ago.

As much as I don’t want to be negative because I want to see the Villa win - I’m also feeling realistic. Teams on bad runs always turn it around against us, and West Ham (even when playing badly) always turn up against us. I loath West Ham for many reasons but I really truly hope we beat them for their behaviour during the Zouma cat kicking incident. Will never forget Moyes playing him two days later and saying “why wouldn’t I play him when he’s one of our best players?” Well, because, he’s a violent animal abusing rocket polisher and you should have been making an example of him because a lot of young impressionable kids look to your players to be role models. I truly hope we beat them and I truly hope Zouma gets booed with every touch. 

• Like 2

Cant see anything more than a point today.

For me...I can see us winning but at the same time I can see us losing and this is the kicker....I see losing more games before we again....almost 1 in 5 games.

Which simply isn't good enough for the club....money spent.....possibly the squad but importantly for him to keep his job.

13 minutes ago, Bazmonkey said:

Cant see anything more than a point today.

For me...I can see us winning but at the same time I can see us losing and this is the kicker....I see losing more games before we again....almost 1 in 5 games.

Which simply isn't good enough for the club....money spent.....possibly the squad but importantly for him to keep his job.

Hedging your bets there!

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Robtaylor200 said:

Just about to lo leave home for VP. call in and see my daughter and grand kids, then off to my lads, see other grandkids. Then me , lad and grand daughter off to VP. Got my colours on full of hope. I will chant and cheer to start with, then its up to the players and manager to keep me in high spirits and keep me singing and clapping. By the time I get home I will have been out around 10 hours. I will have spent around £80 with petrol , tickets food, parking etc

I will not be happy clapping unless given something in return 

Absolutely, the crowd needs to start positive as do the players but we’re only human and if the players are playing badly, it’s hard for the supporters to keep up any kind of good noise. 
Can’t lie though, I hate it when the crowd really turns. 

• Like 1

I am desperate for us to win today, but unfortunately I don’t hold much hope. 

I think the current mindset of this team is fragile at best. I think there is division and in some corners and a lack of belief in the manager. If there is that high a percentage of fans that are not happy with the manager you can guarantee that some in the dressing room feel the same. 

As it stands, my personal feeling is that after a great start the transfer window has been poor. We still have glaringly obvious issues unaddressed and are now in a rushed situation to try and fix them. 

If Gerrard loses today I don’t know how the club can put a positive spin on it. The owners have always tried to bring the feel good factor back to club since they came in, they will be very aware the feel good has very much f**ked off recently. 

With stadium expansion plans being submitted the last thing the owners want is  crap football, a manager that couldn’t beat a one legged man in arse-kicking contest, and pissed off fans. 

I think today is a very big day for Mr Gerrard and he knows it. 

• Like 4