Ismaila Sarr

Aston_Villan4

35 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Eeerily similar. We’re putting together a bloated, ageing squad of players in a mish mash of positions and spending tens of millions doing so.

We’re going to end up like Everton. Give it 2 years. 

He’s 24 😂😂

• Like 2

For me, this is a ridiculous signing. We sign wide players, don’t use them as wide players, freeze them out, sell them or loan them out, repeat as necessary. 

If Gerrard doesn’t know the weakness in his own system which doesn’t involve wingers, he really is clueless. 

The general consensus among Watford fans is that Sarr has pace to burn but hasn’t reached any kind of potential. He can join the list of players here that match the same description. 

2 minutes ago, zab6359 said:

He’s 24 😂😂

Not commenting on Sarr’s age specifically. I know how old he is. I’m talking about ending up with a mish mash of players and several ageing players on massive money. Sarr is a pointless signing. 

4 hours ago, KMitch said:

It's not a panic buy.  He's an upgrade on Trez, El Ghazi, and Traore, but he isn't the player a lot on this board think he is.  He's the new Shane Long or Vagner Love where the "I only watch Villa" crowd think he's amazing because he performs against us but is extremely inconsistent in his other games.  In today's market 25 million is probably market value for him, which is why nobody came in for him before us this summer.  

Did you see him absolutely terrorise Matt Targett a year ago? Whilst he’s not absolute top draw he is very good

Just now, Delphinho123 said:

Not commenting on Sarr’s age specifically. I know how old he is. I’m talking about ending up with a mish mash of players and several ageing players on massive money. Sarr is a pointless signing. 

He’s not though! I reckon this has been in the pipeline for a couple of seasons now he’s a quality player with a big ceiling!

5 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Look at the top 4 sides and tell me they don’t have a mish mash of players on massive money.

Edited by zab6359

4 minutes ago, zab6359 said:

Did you see him absolutely terrorise Matt Targett a year ago? Whilst he’s not absolute top draw he is very good

I’ve also seen Ryan Woods completely dominate us. Look, I don’t think Sarr is a poor player, I’m sure he has his qualities. 

The problem is he is a touchline winger. Someone who uses pace and likes to beat his fullback in a one on one situation - like he did with Targett.

Two things. We don’t play a system with wingers. Our full backs provide all the width and our forwards tuck in and play more as 10’s. We have Bailey who is almost a carbon copy. Wants to play wide right and likes to use his pace. 

We have far more pressing issues that need attending to than at right wing. In fact, if you asked me which position we absolutely do not need anybody else for, given the system we play and the players we have already, it would be wide right/left. 

1 minute ago, zab6359 said:

Look at the top 4 sides and tell me they don’t have a mish mash of players on massive money.

Backed up by CL revenue. They can afford it. We most definitely can’t and it will catch up with us sooner or later. Their players also justify their massive wages! 

We had Coutinho and Ings on the bench yesterday. Both earn 125k a week. That is inexcusable and down to poor management. 

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

I’ve also seen Ryan Woods completely dominate us. Look, I don’t think Sarr is a poor player, I’m sure he has his qualities. 

The problem is he is a touchline winger. Someone who uses pace and likes to beat his fullback in a one on one situation - like he did with Targett.

Two things. We don’t play a system with wingers. Our full backs provide all the width and our forwards tuck in and play more as 10’s. We have Bailey who is almost a carbon copy. Wants to play wide right and likes to use his pace. 

We have far more pressing issues that need attending to than at right wing. In fact, if you asked me which position we absolutely do not need anybody else for, given the system we play and the players we have already, it would be wide right/left. 

Our ‘system’ can change in a heart beat with a change of manager.

I completely agree we have more pressing issues until we sort our midfield out everything else is just bullshit!

• Like 1

Wow - the negativity on here is a bit much! Three from Sarr, Bailey, Watkins, Ings, Buendia, Countinho looks fantastic with only two of them anywhere near 30. Some games you would hope we’d play 4-2-3-1 and use 4 of them. 

Relax. Say what you want about the people in charge at the moment, but they’re not stupid. Gerrard has been saying clearly that he wants a number 8. So I’d be surprised if one didn’t come in before the window closes. Plenty of time left yet - we’ll be working through our targets, I believe Bissouma was first choice, and he would have transformed our midfield, but there are others out there. 

The need for an additional CB is the one that has come from left field. This may not be a Grade A recruit as it wasn’t planned for, can’t blame anybody for that. If Berdanek is the best we can get then so be it. 

Let’s have a bit more positivity - keep the faith. 

6 minutes ago, zab6359 said:

Our ‘system’ can change in a heart beat with a change of manager.

I completely agree we have more pressing issues until we sort our midfield out everything else is just bullshit!

That we can agree on!

• Like 1

On paper this makes sense IF we're planning to adopt a shape. With the exception of the CB's and Kamara, no one seems to know where they're supposed to be on the pitch. 

Interchanging play is great to confuse the opponents, but it's us that's confused. No wonder a long ball over the top unlocked us so many times, when the fullbacks are up the other end of the pitch. Lucas Digne is a good player, but is being made to look like dogshit at the moment.

Saar could help us play with Kamara and another good CM (looked a lot better with Luiz next to him).

Have Bailey (or Emi / Phil) and Saar on either side and a link-man to join it all together. That gives us option for it to be EMI or Phil, or even JJ to play more like Eze did yesterday (running with the ball). 

Saar and another CM of the quality of Kamara would transform this team. The fact that Lange was watching Saar before the Palace game suggests this isn't a knee-jerk reaction to that game, but hopefully it's a catalyst to getting players in. 

The amount of coaches we have in the dugout is embarrassing now, giving how clueless we are.

Feels like money we should have used to pay off the manager and his staff and brought in his replacement with.

Guess if we are changing to a pure counter attack team we will be dangerous when Mings punts it to Sarr and Bailey but where does this leave Coutinho and Buendia. Only time we use wingers is when playing them out of position more centrally.

Really strange signing if it happens, guess the plan is to let Gerrard throw shit at the wall and hope something sticks.

Strange signing this. I normally get excited when we about to sign a player but just feel so deflated now. Gerrard doesn’t play with wingers and Bailey is already in and out of the team so this doesn’t make sense right now. Is a change of formation coming? Could also be a long term view signing by the club and explains why Lange was at the Blues/Watford game mid week. 

At least he adds more pace to the side, but where does he play?

Â