Relegation Battle - 22/23

Tayls

We play next before any of the teams below us, so gives us a chance to go ten points clear of the bottom three, following our game Everton play Southampton, Forest play Leicester, and Wolves play West Ham, so a lot of the teams down there playing each other, meaning teams below us guaranteed points, we really could do with beating Leeds.

Current relegation odds

Bournemouth 2/5 - Southampton 4/7 - Notts Forest 1/1 - Everton 6/5 - Wolves 7/4 - Leeds 9/2 - West Ham 9/2 - Leicester 5/1 - 16/1 Bar

My three for the drop are 

Southampton - Look to be in dire straights and have appointed a championship manager

Bournemouth - After a bright start they are now falling like a stone and are conceding 

Everton - The similarities with them and to us when were were relegated is there for all to see. Big club being poorly managed from top to bottom.

• Like 2

Relegation too early to predict, every season there's usually one or two teams that look to be struggling and then around Christmas time new year suddenly go on a run and move up the table, and sometimes a team drops down the table, still twenty games left to play, so a long way to go yet, everyone still has a chance of staying up, albeit I wouldn't have much confidence in Southampton doing so.

Would be concerned if I was a Leeds fan though, they've won just two of their last fourteen games, only Southampton have been in worse form.

Edited by useless

Southampton look exactly like we did a decade ago under Lambert.

Problem for them is they have no one close to the ability of Benteke in the final third.

Only chance they have imo is sacking Jones and getting someone experienced in to organise them a little better.

16 hours ago, icouldtelltheworld said:

Southampton and Everton both resembling us before our eventual relegation, wouldn't be surprised if both of them went down. I think Wolves will be OK. Also reckon Forest will get their reward for sticking with Cooper and stay up

I agree that sticking with Cooper could be the difference for Forest. I am worried for Leicester though right now & have very little confidence in Rodgers. I am quite jealous of you guys getting Emery.

1 hour ago, gurru991 said:

I agree that sticking with Cooper could be the difference for Forest. I am worried for Leicester though right now & have very little confidence in Rodgers. I am quite jealous of you guys getting Emery.

We're quite jealous of you lot winning the league and FA cup 😉 

I think you'll be alright, although it's odd that Rodgers is still there as it definitely seems to have run its course. There was rumours that the club couldn't afford to pay him off- any truth in that you reckon or just Twitter bollocks?

• Like 2

On 05/01/2023 at 14:28, imavillan said:

Current relegation odds

Bournemouth 2/5 - Southampton 4/7 - Notts Forest 1/1 - Everton 6/5 - Wolves 7/4 - Leeds 9/2 - West Ham 9/2 - Leicester 5/1 - 16/1 Bar

Southampton - Look to be in dire straights and have appointed a championship manager

Bournemouth - After a bright start they are now falling like a stone and are conceding 

Everton - The similarities with them and to us when were were relegated is there for all to see. Big club being poorly managed from top to bottom.

good price for leeds. i wouldn't say their position is that secure

i quite like palace at 25/1 personally

Edited by tomav84

On 05/01/2023 at 09:28, imavillan said:

I came up with the same list when I was looking at the table yesterday.

Soton are the worst side in the league right now. We aren't quite at the halfway point because of the World Cup, but the team in last at the halfway point almost always gets relegated. Bournemouth's goal difference is atrocious and they're trending down. Those two seem the most likely to go down.

Of the other teams below the "gap" (13th and below), based on last year's performances, you have to believe that Leicester (especially), Wolves, and West Ham have too much talent to go down and will get things together. Wolves did not look like a relegation side when we played them a couple days ago.

The leaves Leeds, Forest, and Everton. Leeds seem to have gotten things sorted out. Forest are hard to read; their goal difference is atrocious and they got off to a horrid start, but, sort of like when we got promoted, they had a lot of turnover (even more extreme) and they've needed time to sort out all the new players they've brought in. Things seems to be trending up for them, though that may not last.

That leaves Everton. As you said, poorly run from top to bottom. If it can happen to us (which it did), it can happen to them. Maybe them, maybe Forest, but if I had to put money down today, I'd say Everton.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, TomC said:

I came up with the same list when I was looking at the table yesterday.

Soton are the worst side in the league right now. We aren't quite at the halfway point because of the World Cup, but the team in last at the halfway point almost always gets relegated. Bournemouth's goal difference is atrocious and they're trending down. Those two seem the most likely to go down.

Of the other teams below the "gap" (13th and below), based on last year's performances, you have to believe that Leicester (especially), Wolves, and West Ham have too much talent to go down and will get things together. Wolves did not look like a relegation side when we played them a couple days ago.

The leaves Leeds, Forest, and Everton. Leeds seem to have gotten things sorted out. Forest are hard to read; their goal difference is atrocious and they got off to a horrid start, but, sort of like when we got promoted, they had a lot of turnover (even more extreme) and they've needed time to sort out all the new players they've brought in. Things seems to be trending up for them, though that may not last.

That leaves Everton. As you said, poorly run from top to bottom. If it can happen to us (which it did), it can happen to them. Maybe them, maybe Forest, but if I had to put money down today, I'd say Everton.

I think Forest will manage to pick up points at home with a partisan home crowd. It will not be an easy place to go to, not as easy as many would think anyway.

1 hour ago, icouldtelltheworld said:

We're quite jealous of you lot winning the league and FA cup 😉 

I think you'll be alright, although it's odd that Rodgers is still there as it definitely seems to have run its course. There was rumours that the club couldn't afford to pay him off- any truth in that you reckon or just Twitter bollocks?

It's become common knowledge that there are money problems with the club and our owner. I think they are hoping Rodgers can avoid relegation because paying him off is a problem. I wouldn't be surprised if to see some kind of mutual arrangement made in the Summer.

Our owners fortune comes from duty free shops in Thailand and Covid travel restrictions have really impacted them

• Like 3

Vital win, with some of the teams below playing each other over the weekend a loss could have seen us drawn closer to the relegation zone than is comfortable, but as it is we're now ten points clear. Some big games tomorrow, Wolves v West Ham, Everton V Southampton, and Forest V Leicester.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, useless said:

Vital win, with some of the teams below playing each other over the weekend a loss could have seen us drawn closer to the relegation zone than is comfortable, but as it is we're now ten points clear. Some big games tomorrow, Wolves v West Ham, Everton V Southampton, and Forest V Leicester.

Would love it if leeds went down. 

Leeds have won just two of their last fifteen, haven't won any of their last five, defence isn't much better than it was last season, which I think is what's costing them. Their fixtures coming up don't look too bad, but some of the fixtures they've had up until haven't looked too bad, but they've still been struggling for the most part. From what I've seen none of the teams near the bottom have difficult fixture lists, in the sense of playing mostly top teams, coming up, so difficult to predict what's going to happen.

going to be interesting this season.

Fulham definitely arent going down.

Forest have a good chance of staying up.

I think Bournemouth will probably go down, they are falling like a stone (if it wasnt for our super (not super) performance against them in the first game, they would be bottom right now with 13 points).

That leaves "probably" two relegation slots for teams who have been in the PL for a while, its a hard one to call though.

Leeds, Leicester, Wolves & West Ham are too good to go down on paper, and will probably put a little run in here and there to stay up.

Looks like Everton & Southampton are most likely to join Bournemouth, with Forest as outsiders if they cant continue their good-ish form of recent.

20 hours ago, dudevillaisnice said:

Surprised by that. I think if they play like they did today they will pick up more points for sure.

That Gonotto is very good..Leeds should be safe. Will be close though..bad defence 

• 3 weeks later...