Ratings & Reactions: Bournemouth v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

181 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/08/22 at 22:59

21 hours ago, Keyblade said:

The result being due to facing a newly promoted side away, okay I can accept this. These things happen, sure.

But how do explain the complete lack of cohesion and attacking impetus? We didn't lag a glove on them. On **** Bournemouth, a team whose manager doesn't even believe in them and thinks are weaker than they were during their Championship campaign.

I don't even want to get into some of the baffling selection decisions, and focus purely on what happened on the pitch. It was slow, ponderous and ineffective. It's like these players never trained together. Like we didn't have a productive preseason.

The football preseason was slow and ponderous. The football last season under Gerrard was slow and ponderous. It will continue to be slow and ponderous and largely ineffective whilst he is manager.

I can't believe this performance :( 

Our squad look so much better than Bournemouth on paper..

Our team just doesn't seem in sync but there is so much quality there.

Why can't we create chances when Buendia, Bailey and Coutinho are on the pitch?

Edited by Pinebro
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, MaVilla said:

I hate these sorts of statistics...the press is always trying to make everything sound unique...

"This is the first time a player from Malaysia has scored on the 3rd match day after forgetting to brush his teeth in the morning since my 9 year old son has been old enough to watch football."

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TRO said:

I think winning games is a pretty good barometer of whether a manager knows what he's doing or not.....even Klopp was struggling with a buoyant Fulham, yesterday, despite all his riches in talent.

Michael Beale ( bless him) has presided over the same amount of defeats as SG did, bar one......So I would be surprised if he was the so called brains behind that, as some suspect.

We are all smarting after that, but there is too much BS spinning around right now.

In my humble opinion, very few fans factored in the achilles heel we have and that Bournemouth was the prime antithesis of what we are.

In the rebuild, we need to factor in players, who can help us deal with these kind of teams....hell bent on bullying us out of the game.

Juergen Klopp has not presided over 3 wins in 12.

We keep comparing Gerrard with the games elite, he is nowhere near.  It wasn’t just the defeat, it was the way we lost that spoke volumes 

• Like 3

Here's my take ... 

To me Villa looked boring, they could not unpick a packed eighteen-yard box. They let BHA set up before before attacking

Defensively, Villa did not cope well with BHA's height. Extra bit of height on the pitch? I wonder who could help here? According to the commentator Digne was not on the pitch when the first goal was scored. Apparently he was removing a piece of jewelry (again, according to the commentator). 

For all the buzz around Carlos? - he was OK but did not really stand out to me.

Cash, Bailey, Kamara, Digne (despite his apparent momentary absence) I thought had good games.

Konsa did not cope well with the height.

On another day Martinez might have saved the second goal otherwise OK.

JJ Ok but not his best game . McGinn not his best game.

Coutinho and Ings? Tough to make things happen in a packed eighteen-yard box.

• Like 1

Well they got the game plan spot on to be fair to them.

'We want teams to be scared of us'

17:25 6 August

Bournemouth's former non-league striker Kieffer Moore, speaking to BBC Sport: "This feels like everything I have been working for.

"I haven't done it on my own. I've had the support of my family and friends. I think everything is coming to fruition now.

"We have a very good team here and we have a great bond in the changing room and you can see that out there.

"It was a great performance. To come away three points on the opening day of the season is all that we wanted.

"We wanted to physically impose ourselves and we did that. We want teams coming here to be almost scared of us. We executed game plan perfectly.

"It's amazing [to score in the Premier League]. I take each game step by step and never get ahead of myself. I am going to relish playing in the Premier League but I am not going to get ahead of myself."

Bournemouth - BBC Sport

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

6 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

You're telling me.

Bournemouth will get relegated.

They are not bullies. They are not a side that's difficult to beat and this season will show that. Their manager said they weren't ready for the season.

"The rebuild"?! It's happened. Gerrard has signed four £20m+ players each earning £5m a year. We won't be shifting them. They are here to stay. Let's hope Gerrard can do something he's very rarely done and make them look like a football team.

They may well do.....Fulham probably will too.....The first game back, throws up unprecedented desire......just like Watford did, last season, when Dean was on the end of our achilles heel......We had a full back roasted,that day, but he is doing ok now, at Newcastle....its football, you have deal with things.

This trait of struggling against a low block has been with us some time now.....not all games will be like this, but when they are, it will happen again....Other teams deal with it better than us.....we have to fix it.

Look, I agree, its no where near good enough and he has to deal with it......but it wasn't long ago we took one of the best teams around to a nail biting finish in their own back yard...when 

they had the title as an incentive......so lets get some perspective here.

He has to fix it.

Edited by TRO

39 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I’m not bothered by the team he picks. I think we have a good squad so whatever team is put out there should be able to do a job. 

My biggest concern is how clueless we looked in breaking Bournemouth down. 

Neither am I......It wouldn't have mattered what permutation he would have picked, it would have faultered.....The Mentality wasn't right.....However, I think MIngs out, was illogical, facing a huge side.

It was one of my concerns for sure.....but the biggest one for me was how puny we was in dealing with 2 aerial balls that lower League players got on the end of.....we then proceeded to duck out of the way, when a shot came in, so it could nestle, nicely in the net.....thats puny.

To make matters worse every time we got the ball and tried to create something, they disposessed us, and just disrupted our play......We was too slow, too weak, and gradually disinterested.

The manager has to take responsibility for that......but has to be given the opportunity, to fix it, too.

4 hours ago, macandally said:

Juergen Klopp has not presided over 3 wins in 12.

We keep comparing Gerrard with the games elite, he is nowhere near.  It wasn’t just the defeat, it was the way we lost that spoke volumes 

Do we?

That's a selective response.....I am not comparing him with Klopp, thats your take.....I am merely saying newly promoted teams are full of beans and can be difficult fixtures, away from home,  Liverpool highlighting that.

It was a shitshow, and I am not defending it.....just looking for a bit of perspective, from a car crash.

Edited by TRO

3 hours ago, fruitvilla said:

Here's my take ... 

To me Villa looked boring, they could not unpick a packed eighteen-yard box. They let BHA set up before before attacking

Defensively, Villa did not cope well with BHA's height. Extra bit of height on the pitch? I wonder who could help here? According to the commentator Digne was not on the pitch when the first goal was scored. Apparently he was removing a piece of jewelry (again, according to the commentator). 

For all the buzz around Carlos? - he was OK but did not really stand out to me.

Cash, Bailey, Kamara, Digne (despite his apparent momentary absence) I thought had good games.

Konsa did not cope well with the height.

On another day Martinez might have saved the second goal otherwise OK.

JJ Ok but not his best game . McGinn not his best game.

Coutinho and Ings? Tough to make things happen in a packed eighteen-yard box.

Who is BHA?

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Well they got the game plan spot on to be fair to them.

'We want teams to be scared of us'

17:25 6 August

Bournemouth's former non-league striker Kieffer Moore, speaking to BBC Sport: "This feels like everything I have been working for.

"I haven't done it on my own. I've had the support of my family and friends. I think everything is coming to fruition now.

"We have a very good team here and we have a great bond in the changing room and you can see that out there.

"It was a great performance. To come away three points on the opening day of the season is all that we wanted.

"We wanted to physically impose ourselves and we did that. We want teams coming here to be almost scared of us. We executed game plan perfectly.

"It's amazing [to score in the Premier League]. I take each game step by step and never get ahead of myself. I am going to relish playing in the Premier League but I am not going to get ahead of myself."

Bournemouth - BBC Sport

Says it all......why can't we do a bit of that?.....we might be surprised, where it will take us, allied to our ability.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, fruitvilla said:

😄 Apologies ... Bournemouth Hove Albion

Isn't that Brighton Hove Albion?

I thought Bournemouth used to be called......Bournemouth & Boscombe United.....but its A.F.C Bournemouth now.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just watched the 10minute highlights, we looked OK. Yes the goals were poor and preventable but what I saw backed up by the stats reads like a limited team (Bournemouth) playing on the back foot and getting lucky twice. We worked some decent opportunities and might think us unlucky to not get at least a goal. We had 66% possession and 15 shots, twice that of Bournemouth, away from home that’s good and what we need to aspire to.

First games are always messy and unpredictable, we knew going into the game that not quite sorted and our lack of synergy between midfield and attack showed. 

Dissapointing yes, which I think explains the outpouring but far from being the end of the world , and certainly nothing to suggest that Gerrard will fail. Might expedite a decent #8 and possibly a striker too.

Edited by thunderball
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, thunderball said:

Just watched the 10minute highlights, we looked OK. Yes the goals were poor and preventable but what I saw backed up by the stats reads like a limited team (Bournemouth) playing on the back foot and getting lucky twice. We worked some decent opportunities and might think us unlucky to not get at least a goal. We had 66% possession and 15 shots, twice that of Bournemouth, away from home that’s good and what we need to aspire to.

First games are always messy and unpredictable, we knew going into the game that not quite sorted and our lack of synergy between midfield and attack showed. 

Dissapointing yes, which I think explains the outpouring but far from being the end of the world , and certainly nothing to suggest that Gerrard will fail. Might expedite a decent #8 and possibly a striker too.

seems like some perspective creeping back in.

However, The 2 goals was a reflection of last season.....The first goal set the tone of the match, it shouldn't, but it did and they had their tails up.....it gave them belief.

We simply cannot concede goals like this, while we are finding it difficult to score ourselves....recipe for disaster.

The not scoring is frustrating....the conceding like we do, is unacceptable......Haaland maybe, Keifer Moore is taking the piss.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, thunderball said:

Agree with some of the above but IMO the goals weren't down to them getting lucky twice.

It was due to Villa players not winning the crosses as they came in and then not winning the second ball too.

In truth we largely played in the areas Bournemouth wanted us to and most of the possession was in areas that didn't hurt them.

Â