Mr Barry - The Final Offer!!

AvfcRigo82

Would you accept 16m + Steve Finnan for GB?  

322 members have voted

1. 1. Would you accept 16m + Steve Finnan for GB?

• no
    • yes

Bloody hell they are all at it!!

GERRARD JNR BACKS BARRY

By James Nursey 24/07/2008

LIVERPOOL

Steven Gerrard's cousin has waded into the Gareth Barry row by advising the star not to go back on his plans to quit Aston Villa for Liverpool.

Walsall defender Anthony Gerrard faced Barry in Villa's 3-2 preseason friendly win at the Banks's Stadium on Tuesday where the midfielder was jeered by Villa fans.

But Gerrard reckons the flak Barry is getting will be worth it when he finally links up with England team-mate Steven at Anfield.

"I am a Liverpool fan and he would be a great addition," said ex-Everton trainee Gerrard, 22. "Gareth Barry was a class above against us.

Advertisement - article continues below »

"Whatever goes on in his football life, he does his talking on the pitch.

"Decisions on his future are down to him because he has aspirations of playing in the Champions League and Liverpool are there already. Everyone wants to excel in their career and hopefully he can do that.

"He would make a good partnership with Steven as they are friends from the England squad.

"And I have no doubts at all they would complement each other well in the centre of midfield."

link

If you asked my opinion, I would say that as things stand, Liverpool have walked away from the deal because of O'Neill's steadfast refusal to negotiate.

Have Bin Dippers FC walked away from the deal? ITK! ITK!

And once again, you refer to O'Neill's "steadfast refusal to negotiate". Bin Dippers FC know the price but so far have not matched it. Are you suggesting by "negotiating" you are referring to "lowering the asking price"?

And around the carousel we continue... :(

It's quite simple really....

If I walk into Next and pick up a skirt priced at £17.99 and then take it to till with a tenner in my hand...would I get the skirt??

If I add a £2 coin to the tenner would Next let me walk out the door with it??

Even If I swapped the £2 coin for a £5..would Next let me have it????!!

The only way I get the skirt I want is to add £3 pound coins to the £15....and hey presto I'm out the door with the skirt and 1p change!

I was thinking along very similar lines when I wrote my piece earlier.

Replace Gareth Barry with my car, an Audi A4. I'm not really thinking about moving onto another car until I can get a diesel A6, which will take me to the next level, but the one I have will be OK for a couple of years yet.

I see a diesel A6 sell for about the same value as I get for my car and as I have had a couple of enquiries over the last 12 months, I decide to stick it in the Auto Trader for £1,800. A bloke phones up, sounding like a bit of a cheeky scouse chappie. He comes for a look. While he's there he test drives the car, keys the doors then pours sugar in the petrol tank. He then offers me £1,000.

I want the £1,800 I advertised the car for: it is the asking price. The cheeky scouse chappie then ups the offer to £1,200, then £1,300, before disappearing into the night in a Ford Sierra.

Message to the FSW: Don't touch what you can't afford.

A bloke phones up, sounding like a bit of a cheeky scouse chappie. He comes for a look.

You should be even more worried if the bloke who phones up has a broad Madrid accent and there is the sound of two middle-aged American men in the background squabbling over money...

While we are on the subject of Rafa, I couldn't help but smile at the Google cache for his Wikipedia entry as of 23 Jul 2008 08:39:29 GMT. It's been cleaned up now but at that point it started

Rafael "Rafa" Benítez (born April 16, 1960) is a former milkman and also a competitor in the 1987 finals of the best waiter in Spain before starting his career...

Naughty, naughty... :lol:

You're hard work, aren't you?

Not really. I need a challenge and I'm not getting one.

After a summer of rejected bids, acrimony, beligerence and blatant non-negotiable stance, nobody in their right mind would believe O'Neill's letter to Benitez has opened the door to a deal, especially when you factor in the less-than-enthusiastic response and the continued impasse.

Why does MON need to "open the door to a deal", as you repeatedly put it? Gareth Barry is a contracted Aston Villa player, and for Bin Dippers FC to sign him, they need to match the asking price.

Call it assumed knowledge if you want mate, I call it common sense.

It's not common sense though, is it. For all you know, the letter may have said:

Dear FSW,

Go **** yourself wih a rusty spade. We will not sell our captain.

You are merely speculating and presenting as fact what you neither know nor can support.

I think you need some clarification about my position here because you seem to be arguing with yourself more than you are me. If you are after a challenge, you should look elsewhere because I just want to talk about football, thanks. And if you insist on disrupting reasonable debate with conversational terrorism and scorched earth tactics, then you aren't doing anybody any favours, including yourself. All I offer is my opinion and yes, speculation - I can't help it if you misinterpret that as assumed knowledge, can I? Did you not notice this entire thread, nee forum is based on what you consider to be assumed knowledge? For all anybody knows, Liverpool may not have bid for Barry at all.

“Liverpool have come back to us and we have responded to their proposal with a letter,’’ said the Villa manager yesterday. “We’re still waiting to hear back from Liverpool after putting that proposal to them.

“It’s really up to Liverpool. I really don’t know how it’s going to work out at the moment. I’m sure there will be some sort of resolution at some stage or another.”

That above contains what we know about the letter. If you choose to interpret that as opening the door to negotiation, that's up to you. I interpret it as exactly what O'Neill says it is - a proposal outlining what he wants to make the deal happen.

You still here?!!

Adding to your 300+ posts regarding a player you apparently don't give a stuff about. You must've broken (1) the 1,000 post barrier on a bin-dipper site regarding the Alonso transfer, and (2) probably about 5,000 limit on what Mascherano likes for tea ....both being players you rate higher than Barry.

What's the matter mate - nothing to do whilst waiting for next week's Giro?

For all anybody knows, Liverpool may not have bid for Barry at all.

Does Rafa Benitez exist?

Do Liverpudlians have free will?

Is Stevie G the highest form of life in the universe or merely an insignificant speck in infinite space?

Tune in after the break for more metaphysical musings from Redman, our favourite Scouse agitator...

Does Rafa Benitez exist?

Is Stevie G the highest form of life in the universe or merely an insignificant speck in infinite space?

If you locked Dirk Kuyt in the box, is there any proof that he will ever actually score?

If Jamie Carragher cannot actually think, does that mean that he doesn't exist?

Given the fact that it is nearly the end of July and that effectively we have only signed one player for the coming season does anyone think that there maybe some truth in what Barry said about MON not exactly moving heaven and earth to make him stay?

You still here?!!

Adding to your 300+ posts regarding a player you apparently don't give a stuff about. You must've broken (1) the 1,000 post barrier on a bin-dipper site regarding the Alonso transfer, and (2) probably about 5,000 limit on what Mascherano likes for tea ....both being players you rate higher than Barry.

What's the matter mate - nothing to do whilst waiting for next week's Giro?

Stop being so silly.

I've never claimed not to give a stuff about Barry, nor do I rate Alonso higher than him. You might find there are a number of posters here who appreciate reading an alternative perspective so out of respect for them, if not me, I would advise you to be more tolerant. I'm not here on a windup.

Does Rafa Benitez exist?

Tune in after the break for more metaphysical musings from Redman, our favourite Scouse agitator...

Will Martin O'Neill ever actually finish a sentence? :winkold:

Surely the point is MON has no obligation to negotiate. At the end of the day whether he should or shouldn't lower his price, he has no obligation to do so and if he chooses not to, which seems to be the case, then that's his perogative.

Surely the point is MON has no obligation to negotiate. At the end of the day whether he should or shouldn't lower his price, he has no obligation to do so and if he chooses not to, which seems to be the case, then that's his perogative.

Absolutely.

I don't think that's been questioned, has it? Not on this forum, anyway.

The sporting life say that Walter Smith is trying to push through a deal for Steven Davis before tonight's champions league deadline

Liverpool are also having to go through the qualifying route , so does this deadline also apply to them ?

Absolutely.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, (which maybe true, I'm so bored of people arguing with you and you posting the same thing 100 times over I don't read this thread in much detail) but haven't you been arguing that MON should accept Liverpool's offer?

Absolutely.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, (which maybe true, I'm so bored of people arguing with you and you posting the same thing 100 times over I don't read this thread in much detail) but haven't you been arguing that MON should accept Liverpool's offer?

I'm in agreement with the 84% (or whatever it is) who voted that yes he should accept it just to get it over with but I haven't argued that he is duty bound to do so - if he feels it is in Villa's interests to hold out for the full £18m, that's what he should do.

You're hard work, aren't you?

Not really. I need a challenge and I'm not getting one.

After a summer of rejected bids, acrimony, beligerence and blatant non-negotiable stance, nobody in their right mind would believe O'Neill's letter to Benitez has opened the door to a deal, especially when you factor in the less-than-enthusiastic response and the continued impasse.

Why does MON need to "open the door to a deal", as you repeatedly put it? Gareth Barry is a contracted Aston Villa player, and for Bin Dippers FC to sign him, they need to match the asking price.

Call it assumed knowledge if you want mate, I call it common sense.

It's not common sense though, is it. For all you know, the letter may have said:

Dear FSW,

You are merely speculating and presenting as fact what you neither know nor can support.

I think you need some clarification about my position here because you seem to be arguing with yourself more than you are me. If you are after a challenge, you should look elsewhere because I just want to talk about football, thanks. And if you insist on disrupting reasonable debate with conversational terrorism and scorched earth tactics, then you aren't doing anybody any favours, including yourself. All I offer is my opinion and yes, speculation - I can't help it if you misinterpret that as assumed knowledge, can I? Did you not notice this entire thread, nee forum is based on what you consider to be assumed knowledge? For all anybody knows, Liverpool may not have bid for Barry at all.

Ah, I get it now. Tumbleweed.gif

“Liverpool have come back to us and we have responded to their proposal with a letter,’’ said the Villa manager yesterday. “We’re still waiting to hear back from Liverpool after putting that proposal to them.

“It’s really up to Liverpool. I really don’t know how it’s going to work out at the moment. I’m sure there will be some sort of resolution at some stage or another.”

That above contains what we know about the letter. If you choose to interpret that as opening the door to negotiation, that's up to you. I interpret it as exactly what O'Neill says it is - a proposal outlining what he wants to make the deal happen.

What we know about the letter is that there was a letter. At no point in that statement does it say "Villa are willing to negotiate" ot that we are offering a "proposal". It says nothing of that nature at all.

If you consider what the press speculation has told us about that letter then it is that 'O'Neill wants £17m + Finnan'. Do I believe that? No. I am a cynic. For all you or I know, and as I stated earlier, the content of the letter could have been:

Dear FSW,

If you assume the reports of previous bids were correct and Benitez has gone cold over £1m, the content of the letter is extremely suspect.

As a life long Villa fan, I remember a situation with Robbie Keane at Wolves. HDE would not pay the £6m asking price and insisted on offering £5.5m. We lost out to Cov, who sold him 12 months later to Inter for £13m.

If i was a villa fan, i personally would as if i'm honest, he's been a bit of a plank to you, also it's alot of money and plus finnan is a decent player in my view!

What we know about the letter is that there was a letter. At no point in that statement does it say "Villa are willing to negotiate" ot that we are offering a "proposal". It says nothing of that nature at all.

See bold.

Â