Mr Barry - The Final Offer!!

AvfcRigo82

Would you accept 16m + Steve Finnan for GB?  

322 members have voted

1. 1. Would you accept 16m + Steve Finnan for GB?

• no
    • yes

You'd struggle to convince me O'Neill's unwllingness to negotiate at all is anything other than a matter of pride and principle after the way the whole episode has played out.

I believe there is a stong element of truth in this statement. The words stubborn and obdurate spring to mind. There appears to be no flexibility at all from MOn over this whole thing - hence why it may collapse.

And you can consider the NOWT interview to be his transfer request.

of course you can. So why not make it official, if he wants to leave that much. Make it official, waive your fee/bonus to get your move.

this bit confuses me.

It confuses me too. What is clear is that Villa would have a strong case against Barry should they wish to withhold his contract settlement.

What is less clear is, as you say, is why he hasn't made it official.

Redman, you keep going on about a refusal to negotiate, but I fail to see any evidence that this is actually the case. I've no doubt that MON has been difficult to deal with throughout all of this (I wonder why?) but to suggest he's sticking his fingers in his ears and going 'la la la la la' is frankly ludicrous.

The latest reports point to MON putting a proposal to Liverpool last week some time. As far as I know, nothing has been heard back from Liverpool since. So who is it here who isn't negotiating?

Redman, you keep going on about a refusal to negotiate, but I fail to see any evidence that this is actually the case. I've no doubt that MON has been difficult to deal with throughout all of this (I wonder why?) but to suggest he's sticking his fingers in his ears and going 'la la la la la' is frankly ludicrous.

The latest reports point to MON putting a proposal to Liverpool last week some time. As far as I know, nothing has been heard back from Liverpool since. So who is it here who isn't negotiating?

I think we can consider O'Neill's letter to be more of a ransom note than a starting point for negotiation.

That's hilarious! I think you'll find this has to be in writing to the club itself.

Oh dear. Another one.

Very constructive, you are a 'wind-up' merchant!

So, when do football clubs listen to players via the press? When did Barry actually hand in a written transfer request then?

As far as I'm aware Barry hasn't done that yet for fear of losing a share of the transfer fee.

because allan, all the reports indicate Randy is 100% behind this

and we don;t need the money for Barry so if his value goes down, so be it, principles are sometimes more importnat than money

Randy has proved this at villa, the browns and in his own personal life.

point missed once more. I'm all for and fully agree with Randy supporting MO'N that is as it should be, at least publically.

Back to MO'N reluctance to negotiate, I see Jon agree too, we don't have to negotiate, we don't have to sell him, however, we do need to sign players, to replace Barry. This stubbornness could well be one factor why a player may not sign for us.

Liverpool have offered Finnan in a deal, as far as I'm aware it was rejected offhand yet we still need a RB. Transfers are about negotiation not sticking your fingers in your ears.

It seems to me that whatever MO'N does some will not see that it could affect our club negatively - this is one thing I feel that could. Get it sorted, get rid and move on

I sort of agree with that Allan, but please remember we sent a letter off to them last week, we have not had a reply, well not released and reports were Plop were coming back this week ...

the next move is theirs, unless you say we go back to their last rejected offer and accept that ?

I think we can consider O'Neill's letter to be more of a ransom note than a starting point for negotiation.

OK, so you're not willing to discuss this seriously I take it? First the problems were with MON refusing to negotiate, now they're with MON not negotiating in exactly the way you'd like him to.

I really can't see what else you are proposing here apart from: 'We are Liverpool, so you must sell us this player at less than the value you have placed on him.'

That's hilarious! I think you'll find this has to be in writing to the club itself.

Oh dear. Another one.

So, when do football clubs listen to players via the press? When did Barry actually hand in a written transfer request then?

As far as I'm aware Barry hasn't done that yet for fear of losing a share of the transfer fee.

You should really starting thinking before posting.

In legal terms, a transfer request can be official, unofficial, verbal or written. The whole country has seen a document containing direct quotes from Barry expressing his desire to leave Aston Villa. That is a transfer request. If, for whatever reason, Barry contested that in court, he would lose.

On what basis can we consider that? Do you know what's in that letter?

OK, so you're not willing to discuss this seriously I take it? First the problems were with MON refusing to negotiate, now they're with MON not negotiating in exactly the way you'd like him to.

I really can't see what else you are proposing here apart from: 'We are Liverpool, so you must sell us this player at less than the value you have placed on him.'

I am willing to discuss it seriously.

I haven't seen the contents of O'Neill's letter but I'm fairly sure it offers Liverpool no encouragement whatsoever and was not designed to spark a round of negotiations.

Oh dear. Another one.

In legal terms, a transfer request can be official, unofficial, verbal or written. The whole country has seen a document containing direct quotes from Barry expressing his desire to leave Aston Villa. That is a transfer request. If, for whatever reason, Barry contested that in court, he would lose.

And you should really try to be more respectful instead of winding up opposing fans on a message board.

However, if what you say is true then it's the first I've heard of it. In fact I was always under the impression a formal letter needed to be written to the club?

Well as the content of the letter is unknown anything we discuss on that is pointless. The next move is in all probability theirs to make.

Personally in a negotiation I'd go back with Alonso, Finnan and £3m please FSW.

Rumours and supposition will no doubt come out in the rags (include SSN in this ) this week as it's yet another quiet week and playing GB in the reeserves last nights stirred it all up.

On what basis can we consider that? Do you know what's in that letter?

Of course not but after the way this has gone so far, do you really think it offers Liverpool any encouragement?

post on poster removed, next time card

So please explain, have you seen the contents of Barrys current contract t osee exactly what is defined as 'a transfer request'. It has been held for many years that the only form of request that effects payments is in WRITING. Otherwise this wouldn't be an issue in many transfers.

Has Bentley put his request in writing? No. He has left the tour, alledgedly feigned injury but no WRITTEN request.

Oh dear. Another one.

And you should really try to be more respectful instead of winding up opposing fans on a message board.

However, if what you say is true then it's the first I've heard of it. In fact I was always under the impression a formal letter needed to be written to the club?

Pretty sure are right there - in order for it to be a formal transfer request the content of an interview in a shitty sunday rag doesnt count.

Â