Mr Barry - The Final Offer!!

AvfcRigo82

Would you accept 16m + Steve Finnan for GB?  

322 members have voted

1. 1. Would you accept 16m + Steve Finnan for GB?

• no
    • yes

Redman, you keep going on about a refusal to negotiate, but I fail to see any evidence that this is actually the case. I've no doubt that MON has been difficult to deal with throughout all of this (I wonder why?) but to suggest he's sticking his fingers in his ears and going 'la la la la la' is frankly ludicrous.

The latest reports point to MON putting a proposal to Liverpool last week some time. As far as I know, nothing has been heard back from Liverpool since. So who is it here who isn't negotiating?

I think we can consider O'Neill's letter to be more of a ransom note than a starting point for negotiation.

Really? What did it say? That sounds awfully ITK...

Not ITK buddy, just good old-fashioned common sense.

Sorry but it isn't common sense if you don't know either way.

I think we can consider O'Neill's letter to be more of a ransom note than a starting point for negotiation.

OK, so you're not willing to discuss this seriously I take it? First the problems were with MON refusing to negotiate, now they're with MON not negotiating in exactly the way you'd like him to.

I really can't see what else you are proposing here apart from: 'We are Liverpool, so you must sell us this player at less than the value you have placed on him.'

I am willing to discuss it seriously.

I haven't seen the contents of O'Neill's letter but I'm fairly sure it offers Liverpool no encouragement whatsoever and was not designed to spark a round of negotiations.

I fail to see why Villa need to offer any encouragement to Liverpool - the only thing that needs to be offered is cash. If Liverpool don't have the cash, then why should Villa care?

That's the whole point - some are claiming that O'Neill's letter was designed to open negotations. To do that, it would have to offer encouragement.

If we have offered no encouragement then you can piss off and go hound another club for one of their midfielders you don't really need. You're like a rotten smell, this has dragged on for aeons now, you know what we want, stop pissing about and make a decision either way. Yawn!

I do want Barry at Liverpool as Alonso's replacement, not because he is a better player but because he would be a better fit and I think his set-piece expertise could add another dimension.

It would be a blow not to conclude the transfer after all this time but hardly the end of the world - I don't necessarily want Alonso to leave and nor do most other reds I have spoken to. As for Rafa, it wouldn't be the first time he's be foiled in the transfer market - he'd just shrug it off I expect.

As for a fee, I would have walked away after having £14m rejected. And before anyone brings it up, I would have done the same for Hargreaves and Carrick too. Not Mascherano though. I'd have paid £20m + for him.

Easy being civil isn't it? There are plenty of Villa fans on here who can debate sensibly!!

A couple of things. Set piece expertise? You mean his corners? He doesn't do Ashley Young type free kicks but he does take a very good corner. Are you expecting blockbusting free kicks from outside the area? If so, you have the wrong man.

You say £14 million, I'd say 15. I would also have been happy to have swapped him for cash and Benayoun but that's only my opinion. I still think that this'll still happen but I'd prefer straight cash as Finnan is 31/32?

With reference to Carrick and Hargreaves, and to a lesser degree, Barry, the so called bigger clubs usually get taken for a few extra quid, like the Italian clubs did back in the 80's and 90's, simply because we know they've got the money. Finally, Barry is not the England man you see when he plays for Villa, a good player nevertheless.

I'm wouldn't expect blockbusters, just consistent, quality deliveries from crosses, corners and free-kicks. This is one area where Liverpool are seriously lacking.

I'd be sad to see Finnan go - he'd do a job for Villa but only as a stop-gap. He wouldn't let you down. I doubt Benayoun is an option though. Benitez loves the guy, as do the fans.

Redman, you keep going on about a refusal to negotiate, but I fail to see any evidence that this is actually the case. I've no doubt that MON has been difficult to deal with throughout all of this (I wonder why?) but to suggest he's sticking his fingers in his ears and going 'la la la la la' is frankly ludicrous.

The latest reports point to MON putting a proposal to Liverpool last week some time. As far as I know, nothing has been heard back from Liverpool since. So who is it here who isn't negotiating?

Sorry but it isn't common sense if you don't know either way.

Having rejected offer after offer for the past month, who honestly believes O'Neill wrote to Liverpool to demand anything less than the full asking price? Doesn't the lack of a response to said letter tell us all we need to know about O'Neill's position re: negotiation?

Having rejected offer after offer for the past month, who honestly believes O'Neill wrote to Liverpool to demand anything less than the full asking price? Doesn't the lack of a response to said letter tell us all we need to know about O'Neill's position re: negotiation?

Well, as with most negotiations, that may depend on the result. If (a big if) it really is the case that he demanded the full price, and Rafa ends up paying it, I'd say he'd been a pretty damn good negotiator.

If I had to guess (and it is a guess, as with all of us here) I'd imagine Rafa has offered around £14-£15m so far. And MON's letter might have said, how about £17m plus Finnan?

And who's to say that's MON's final position, as Liverpool haven't come back to us. Perhaps if they went to £15m + Finnan, or £16m + Finnan something might happen.

The negotiation process clearly isn't over anyway, or one of the sides would have walked away from the deal I'd have thought.

Well, as with most negotiations, that may depend on the result. If (a big if) it really is the case that he demanded the full price, and Rafa ends up paying it, I'd say he'd been a pretty damn good negotiator.

If I had to guess (and it is a guess, as with all of us here) I'd imagine Rafa has offered around £14-£15m so far. And MON's letter might have said, how about £17m plus Finnan?

And who's to say that's MON's final position, as Liverpool haven't come back to us. Perhaps if they went to £15m + Finnan, or £16m + Finnan something might happen.

The negotiation process clearly isn't over anyway, or one of the sides would have walked away from the deal I'd have thought.

If you asked my opinion, I would say that as things stand, Liverpool have walked away from the deal because of O'Neill's steadfast refusal to negotiate.

If you asked my opinion, I would say that as things stand, Liverpool have walked away from the deal because of O'Neill's steadfast refusal to negotiate.

I think 'walked away' is highly unlikely. I've no doubt that you're happy to sit back and play the waiting game though - in the hope that as time goes by MON will feel pressured into accepting a lower offer.

When's the deadline for Champion's League registration again?

I think 'walked away' is highly unlikely. I've no doubt that you're happy to sit back and play the waiting game though - in the hope that as time goes by MON will feel pressured into accepting a lower offer.

When's the deadline for Champion's League registration again?

I think it is clear that a deal won't be done for £18m. If O'Neill decided to drop the asking price, I'm sure Benitez could be tempted back to the table.

To be eligible for the 3rd qualifying round, Barry would need to have signed by August 7th.

So? What did it say? You can't possibly comment on it unless you know the content, and your posts here displaying assumed knowledge will be duly taken apart.

This is a Villa message board.

You're hard work, aren't you?

After a summer of rejected bids, acrimony, beligerence and blatant non-negotiable stance, nobody in their right mind would believe O'Neill's letter to Benitez has opened the door to a deal, especially when you factor in the less-than-enthusiastic response and the continued impasse.

Call it assumed knowledge if you want mate, I call it common sense.

So commen sense is what passes for accusing another manager of being a kidnapper?

Who is responsibnle for the rejected bids, acrimony, belligerence and non-negotiable stance?

That's another argument entirely.

But as you ask, Benitez and Liverpool have obviously played a significant part.

He's our player, we have no reason to drop a price to suit Liverpool when they come calling. They've made our summer pretty much miserable in regards to this Barry situation and turned his head. I don't mind him wanting to join them, I mind that your club decided to bid before the season had even finished, I mind that some of the bids have been frankly insulting and I mind that you think you have any right to complain about an asking price which is the same as that of Michael Carrick, who Gareth is on par with.

We're not doing any of this to suit you, it suits us or it doesn't happen. Frankpy hope it doesn't go through by the 7th of August.

You're hard work, aren't you?

Not really. I need a challenge and I'm not getting one.

After a summer of rejected bids, acrimony, beligerence and blatant non-negotiable stance, nobody in their right mind would believe O'Neill's letter to Benitez has opened the door to a deal, especially when you factor in the less-than-enthusiastic response and the continued impasse.

Why does MON need to "open the door to a deal", as you repeatedly put it? Gareth Barry is a contracted Aston Villa player, and for Bin Dippers FC to sign him, they need to match the asking price.

Call it assumed knowledge if you want mate, I call it common sense.

It's not common sense though, is it. For all you know, the letter may have said:

Dear FSW,

Go **** yourself wih a rusty spade. We will not sell our captain.

You are merely speculating and presenting as fact what you neither know nor can support.

Have Bin Dippers FC walked away from the deal? ITK! ITK!

And once again, you refer to O'Neill's "steadfast refusal to negotiate". Bin Dippers FC know the price but so far have not matched it. Are you suggesting by "negotiating" you are referring to "lowering the asking price"?

And around the carousel we continue... :(

And once again, you refer to O'Neill's "steadfast refusal to negotiate". Bin Dippers FC know the price but so far have not matched it. Are you suggesting by "negotiating" you are referring to "lowering the asking price"?

It's quite simple really....

If I walk into Next and pick up a skirt priced at £17.99 and then take it to till with a tenner in my hand...would I get the skirt??

If I add a £2 coin to the tenner would Next let me walk out the door with it??

Even If I swapped the £2 coin for a £5..would Next let me have it????!!

The only way I get the skirt I want is to add £3 pound coins to the £15....and hey presto I'm out the door with the skirt and 1p change!

Redman, Didnt you mean to say "Liverpool have walked away from the deal becasue Villa turned out not to be such a push over as first thought and that honestly though by unsettling the player they would not have to pay more than 12 mill" This is what it is all about to us.

Â