Birthday present

lapal_fan

2 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

Well this was a complete failure.

Wrap it up mods, we're done.

**** wok it is 😒

I genuinely received a wok for Christmas once, I did absolutely all of the cooking in that relationship and I think it was essentially "let's have more Chinese food". Didn't last long after that. It wasn't even a good wok.

49 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

There’s a virtual spitfire flying experience at Blackpool airfield, one of the best gifts I’ve been given for years, depends on whether or not you’ve wanted to fly a spitfire tho obvs.

Very expensive as I recall. I got the much cheaper Tiger Moth one as a birthday present, and it was bloody fantastic. There are pics somewhere way back in the Rogues' Gallery thread. 

26 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Very expensive as I recall. I got the much cheaper Tiger Moth one as a birthday present, and it was bloody fantastic. There are pics somewhere way back in the Rogues' Gallery thread. 

I doubt it was super expensive, my missus doesn’t tend to spend a lot tho she does give great gifts generally speaking. It is just the virtual experience, not actually flying in the air.

Just now, bannedfromHandV said:

I doubt it was super expensive, my missus doesn’t tend to spend a lot tho she does give great gifts generally speaking. It is just the virtual experience, not actually flying in the air.

Ah, OK. I was talking about the actual flight. I preferred the open cockpit experience anyway. 

9 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Ah, OK. I was talking about the actual flight. I preferred the open cockpit experience anyway. 

Yeah this one at Blackpool airfield is actually pretty good. It’s run by volunteers and it’s an old WW2 RAF base/hangar (it was actually one of the Polish squadrons based out of there I believe). 
Anyway, the volunteers have collected lots of stuff and built a museum (has a full Hurricane, Spitfire, Typhoon, various bits of German planes and other paraphernalia). The guy who built the virtual flight experience gave us a personal guided tour of the whole thing, proper ex-RAF pilot guy (bit racist but I let that slide), the actual spitfire flight thing is amazing.

He/they have built an actual spitfire, mixed with original parts, plonked it in front of a giant screen and then loaded up software from various flight simulators to build a custom version, you then decide which ‘flight’ you want to do. The cockpit is pretty much all original spitfire parts and my fat arse only just fitted into it, was touch and go whether I’d be able to get in! 

https://spitfirevisitorcentre.co.uk/

Honestly can’t recommend it enough if you’re an enthusiast.

Edited by bannedfromHandV
  • Like 1

Over here,for one of my birthdays.My wife gave me a tour of a Lancaster bomber and a Spitfire.What happens is you get to sit in and explore every position on each aircraft ( pilot,gunner,radio op etc.I enjoyed it.

11 hours ago, theunderstudy said:

I got an "antique" drinks globe for my 30th. Pretty awesome.

Do you have the leather armchair, smoking jacket and pipe to go with it? 

2 hours ago, veloman said:

Ask for a pair of trousers and cut the pockets off. Then you've got something to wear and something to play with.

As it happens,we used to do just that 100 years ago when I used to ride a motorcycle.You put on a pair of trousers with the pockets cut out,then you pick up a chick and tell her to put her hands in your pockets to keep them warm.Then ,you drop the clutch and take off at speed.

Â