Karim Benzema

TRO

Very good player, especially now that he seem to have sorted out his priorities a bit again. The last couple seasons have been very impressive.

Been an absolute cnut outside the pitch thou in his younger days with extorting his national teammate with a sex tape and sleeping with a 16y.o prostitute.

Through all y years watching him it's never been his heading that stood out thou. Good goals as those last night was.

48 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

I think every part of modern game is better than in the 70s/80s, including strength. 

There is nothing skill wise better about football 40 years ago. 

Apart from heading 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PaulC said:

I see where Tro is coming from. You  go back to the 70s when you had proper wingers there were a lot of great headerers of the ball out there. it has become a bit of a dying art. 

Not sure this is the case at all - it's more that teams play different systems now compared to when actual wingers were a thing.  Majority of teams are playing with either "wide forwards" or some sort of "inverted winger".

The Chelsea/Madrid game had 3 headed goals out of the 4 in the match, only one of those headed goals was from "out wide" - and even then it was, essentially, a one-two with their forwards.

(Edit:  So, agreed on the proper winger part - not that heading is a dying art.  It just isn't)

Edited by bobzy

4 hours ago, TRO said:

I thought the art of heading the ball, had died.

This man last night, took me back to those days, when headed goals, were such a delight in the game.

His accuracy and approach to the aerial ball, was sublime, The technique was a sight to behold.

A superb finsher in general, but in the Air, he's a beast.

Well done Karim Benzema, for resurrecting an art, which is probably overlooked in much of todays football.

Reading this post back, it sounds like this guy wrote it

OIP.jKhf2U_dMkWqsiuWLjcVyQHaFQ?pid=ImgDe

• Haha 3

56 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Reading this post back, it sounds like this guy wrote it

OIP.jKhf2U_dMkWqsiuWLjcVyQHaFQ?pid=ImgDe

I've actually told him that before 😂

2 hours ago, PaulC said:

I see where Tro is coming from. You  go back to the 70s when you had proper wingers there were a lot of great headerers of the ball out there. it has become a bit of a dying art. 

even that is becoming rare..😀

2 hours ago, Mic09 said:

I think every part of modern game is better than in the 70s/80s, including strength. 

There is nothing skill wise better about football 40 years ago. 

Heading.....The art of heading.

It took skill to just walk on the pitches, years ago, never mind play on them.

But that wasn't the point, I was making.....but hey ho....some comedians like to come out to play, when we talk about the old game.

Edited by TRO

Don't think anyone is disagreeing about the ball not being played in the air as much these days compared to 30-40 years ago.

Even the big target man type strikers need to have much more in their toolbox these days. On the flip side it's impressive to see guys like Zlatan and Ronaldo who never stopped working on improving themselves and to watch how much better they are in the air now compared to when they were 20-25.

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

In our squad alone you know the one people say is too physically weak we have Mings, Hause, Ings, Buendia who are good in the air even Watkins has nearly 20 headed career goals. Chambers, Konsa and McGinn are no slouches either

Mings and Hause are great defensive headers but actually quite poor in front of goal considering their size and jumping ability.   I would submit that Konsa is not  particularly good in the air.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TRO said:

Heading.....The art of heading.

It took skill to just walk on the pitches, years ago, never mind play on them.

But that wasn't the point, I was making.....but hey ho....some comedians like to come out to play, when we talk about the old game.

Yes its a much more possesion based game now but there are far less individuals than what there used to be, some of those names mentioned as being good headerers of the ball they are not a patch on Andy Gray. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, PaulC said:

Yes its a much more possesion based game now but there are far less individuals than what there used to be, some of those names mentioned as being good headerers of the ball they are not a patch on Andy Gray. 

Paul the main differences is the pace of the game....The players are athletes today and their pace is frightening.

What this has brought, with the pitches the same size pro rata as yesteryear, is the space to play is reduced, subsequently the first touch is paramount to ball control, otherwise, someone is on you.

When you watch the old games, the space was plentiful and the players with guile had so much of it to play in.....Andy was a good exponent of heading as was many around that time....but they did have more space to play in, now, they are crowded out by 6'4 giants.

1 hour ago, TRO said:

Paul the main differences is the pace of the game....The players are athletes today and their pace is frightening.

What this has brought, with the pitches the same size pro rata as yesteryear, is the space to play is reduced, subsequently the first touch is paramount to ball control, otherwise, someone is on you.

When you watch the old games, the space was plentiful and the players with guile had so much of it to play in.....Andy was a good exponent of heading as was many around that time....but they did have more space to play in, now, they are crowded out by 6'4 giants.

Yes that aspect has improved in all sports but theres more to it than that.  Left footed players didnt play on the right so there were far nore crosses and headed goals. Less opportunity for teams to get back into position. Dont know what Gray or Withes headed goal percentage was but bet it was over 50% unlike the figures that are mentioned now. 

No argument the game has improved massively to what it used to be but your original point is valid. 

23 hours ago, PaulC said:

Oh Andy, your the greatest, the Holte End says

and he was, that season that ended with the hat trick against the Baggies 😍

• Like 2

He can celebrate by shagging and abusing more of his prostitues and blackmailing teammates. Bloke should be in prison, not on a football pitch. Makes me sick that this cretin is celebrated in any capacity. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, PaulC said:

Yes that aspect has improved in all sports but theres more to it than that.  Left footed players didnt play on the right so there were far nore crosses and headed goals. Less opportunity for teams to get back into position. Dont know what Gray or Withes headed goal percentage was but bet it was over 50% unlike the figures that are mentioned now. 

No argument the game has improved massively to what it used to be but your original point is valid. 

The average goal scoring overall for headed goals is c17%.....between 15-20%

It varies from season to season but only marginally.

1 hour ago, TRO said:

The average goal scoring overall for headed goals is c17%.....between 15-20%

It varies from season to season but only marginally.

If thats the case then I have to agree with the others. Its not a dying art!

Â