The rising cost of living

StefanAVFC

27 minutes ago, Genie said:

I was thinking the other day about footballer wages, will the government be clamping down on Premier League teams and the obscene wages they pay players? 

clamping down in what way that is legal?

4 minutes ago, bickster said:

clamping down in what way that is legal?

I wasn’t being entirely serious, but the government and BoE keep pressuring private businesses to stop giving out inflation matching pay rises as they say it’s fuelling inflation. Then you’ve got football clubs giving out bigger and bigger multimillion contracts to their fringe and squad players.

Just now, Genie said:

I wasn’t being entirely serious, but the government and BoE keep pressuring private businesses to stop giving out inflation matching pay rises as they say it’s fuelling inflation. Then you’ve got football clubs giving out bigger and bigger multimillion contracts to their fringe and squad players.

They are wrong. pay rises are not fueling inflation. There is some supply side inflation but most of us also suspect there is margin boosting across many sectors. Inflation is actually causing wage rises not vice versa

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The  rate rises will still help those free of debt to save and spend plenty, whilst **** over those on mortgages or renting harder. So those well off will continue to spend money, and more of it now, happily making up for those who can't. It's just obscene. And the idea that business' being forced to pay people properly, or rather a little bit closer to properly, is somehow a bad thing is mental. The inference then is the logical way for the system to survive is for people to know their place and be poor, to live off slave wages and be thankful for that crumb. 

I’d love to see the data which shows the reason for inflation dropping (a bit).

Are people spending less driving prices down/stopping them go up as fast?

Or is it all/mostly down to last years spikes in gas/electric/petrol/diesel coming out of the calculation and people’s spending habits are largely unchanged.

6 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Because people vote themselves into poverty and then blame everyone and everything else.

Ita not just the government, its the news, the papers the way people have become. We have just become a depressing nation 

16 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Many of the poor couldn't care less about voting.

This is nonsense, without the poor the Tories wouldn't have been re-elected in 2019.

Do you have any statistical analysis to back up this spurious claim?

I’ve increased our charge out rates for work, because staff want pay rises because their mortgages have gone up.

If BoE counter that with more rate rises, I’ll have to increase our charge out rate further.

Who’s causing inflation?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bickster said:

This is nonsense, without the poor the Tories wouldn't have been re-elected in 2019.

Do you have any statistical analysis to back up this spurious claim?

Not again?

I'll just get out my laptop and do some analytical research??

4 hours ago, Rodders said:

The  rate rises will still help those free of debt to save and spend plenty, whilst **** over those on mortgages or renting harder. So those well off will continue to spend money, and more of it now, happily making up for those who can't. It's just obscene. And the idea that business' being forced to pay people properly, or rather a little bit closer to properly, is somehow a bad thing is mental. The inference then is the logical way for the system to survive is for people to know their place and be poor, to live off slave wages and be thankful for that crumb. 

Yeah this really pisses me off. The idea that normal people are to blame and have to take the hit is so frustrating. 

1 hour ago, foreveryoung said:

Not again?

I'll just get out my laptop and do some analytical research??

I usually find it’s best to do some research before forming an opinion

So yes, I think you may have cracked it

Just to save you actually cracking open a spreadsheet though, let me introduce you to the concept of a search engine, it might save you some time

Low-income voters, the 2019 General Election and the future of British politics

Joseph Rowntree Organisation

https://news.sky.com/story/the-big-short-investor-michael-burry-bets-1-6bn-on-stock-market-crash-12940826

A man who famously made a fortune by predicting the collapse of the US housing market in 2008 now appears to be suggesting that two major stock markets will tumble in value.

Well this is slightly concerning but I have to say I’m not surprised. Definitely feels like we’re coming to the edge of a precipice.

12 hours ago, bickster said:

I usually find it’s best to do some research before forming an opinion

So yes, I think you may have cracked it

Just to save you actually cracking open a spreadsheet though, let me introduce you to the concept of a search engine, it might save you some time

Joseph Rowntree Organisation

To be fair, that doesn’t in any way refute his claim. Analysis of how low income people who did vote, voted isn’t refuting the absolutely widespread claim that low income people are less likely to vote. It’s a commonly aired line in political analysis and news.

We know that people living on lower incomes are already less likely to vote and can feel disconnected and excluded from political processes. 

Also JRF

• Thanks 1

Plastered everywhere "our plan to tackle inflation is working". What **** plan? I want just one journalist to ask them what their **** plan is. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 2

Â