The rising cost of living

StefanAVFC

37 minutes ago, delboy54 said:

Is this potentially going to reawaken the thread "how do you wipe your arse"?

With my hand. 

5 hours ago, stuart_75 said:

I've been using SIM free 30 day contracts for the last ten years. Would never dream of entering into a 2 year contract with one of the big boy operators.

Never paid more than £10 a month for the contract. Change my phone every 3-4 years, pay no more than £200 for a Moto or Xiaomi handset

This.

I usually get a refurbished HTC for about £120, or have the wife’s old phone when the contract runs out. Got her old Sony at the minute with a Virgin 30 day rolling contract sim, ten gb data and unlimited everything else for £7.

Next time I’m gonna have to buy a phone though as she’s on the same sim as me now in an iPhone. 

Nudging £300 to get to London by train from here for a full day of work. Just over £280 for the train ticket, £12.50 to park the car.

To do the same trip by car, about £50 fuel and £8.50 parking. Good degree of confidence my car will turn up and I will have a seat.

What a system. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Nudging £300 to get to London by train from here for a full day of work. Just over £280 for the train ticket, £12.50 to park the car.

To do the same trip by car, about £50 fuel and £8.50 parking. Good degree of confidence my car will turn up and I will have a seat.

What a system. 

My son is driving up to Edinburgh with his cousin for a other Cousins birthday next week. 

Probably cost £50 each for the petrol.  Would cost £115 each to fly (but due to flight times would need another overnight in a hotel. But the train would be £150 each. 

How the **** can an aeroplane be cheaper than a train? 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sidcow said:

My son is driving up to Edinburgh with his cousin for a other Cousins birthday next week. 

Probably cost £50 each for the petrol.  Would cost £115 each to fly (but due to flight times would need another overnight in a hotel. But the train would be £150 each. 

How the **** can an aeroplane be cheaper than a train? 

Somebody must be paying? I'm sure they would soon notice and do something about it if they were just running empty trains up and down the country.

Not an endorsement on my behalf either, i wouldn't pay those prices.

1 minute ago, AVFCDAN said:

Somebody must be paying? I'm sure they would soon notice and do something about it if they were just running empty trains up and down the country.

Not an endorsement on my behalf either, i wouldn't pay those prices.

Probably business travellers having to bake this stuff into their prices and therefore making themselves less competitive with overseas competition.

Just had letter from Virgin Media.

My current contract is £37 per month, but it’s actually £85 full price before discounts.  They’ve sent the usual guff about inflation plus 3.9% but then said my package is going up by £15 a month.

Thats about 40% more than I am currently paying, and more than 17.5% of the pre-discount price.

Clowns. I have the option to cancel so might do that. 

Edited by Genie

9 minutes ago, Genie said:

My current contract is £37 per month, but it’s actually £85 full price before discounts.  They’ve sent the usual guff about inflation plus 3.9% but then said my package is going up by £15 a month.

Thats about 40% more than I am currently paying, and more than 17.5% of the pre-discount price.

Exactly the same thing happened to me, after talking to them I now have a 2 pounds increase, I only have broadband and phone with them so my package price isnt close to 85.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Genie said:

Call up and there will be an automated attempt to fob you off with a £2 discount or something. Go straight through to "thinking of leaving" and someone in Bangalore will offer you about 20% off. Crack on and say it doesn't match their competitor's (go armed with a Vodafone/BT quote) and you'll go through to someone in Glasgow who'll throw the kitchen sink at keeping you

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Call up and there will be an automated attempt to fob you off with a £2 discount or something. Go straight through to "thinking of leaving" and someone in Bangalore will offer you about 20% off. Crack on and say it doesn't match their competitor's (go armed with a Vodafone/BT quote) and you'll go through to someone in Glasgow who'll throw the kitchen sink at keeping you

I’m tempted to just leave tbh. I’ve been with them for many years and done the annual bartering thing. Tbh the rest of the family do nothing but complain about the broadband dropping out. I actually had to buy another one (Vodafone) to keep them happy but that is cancelled now as out of contract.

I was previously paying about £77 including the other broadband. The VM broadband has been better since we got the hub 5 and the pods but it’s still choppy at times.

I’m tempted to go with Sky as they have 500mb/s and standard TV and Netflix for £60 a month. No dish. Possibly somewhere around £100 cashback from Quidco too.

I can get 145mb/s on that package for £50 but with everyone using it and work, and TV I think it’s best to go bigger.

Edited by Genie

9 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Exactly the same thing happened to me, after talking to them I now have a 2 pounds increase, I only have broadband and phone with them so my package price isnt close to 85.

Mines a really old package that they kept giving me discounts on every time I threatened to leave. I’d never pay anything like the rrp for it. 

1 minute ago, Genie said:

Mines a really old package that they kept giving me discounts on every time I threatened to leave. I’d never pay anything like the rrp for it. 

I pointed out to them that I didnt ask for discounts, I was going to leave and they said they could do it at a reduced price.

6 minutes ago, Genie said:

I’m tempted to just leave tbh. I’ve been with them for many years and done the annual bartering thing. Tbh the rest of the family do nothing but complain about the broadband dropping out. I actually had to buy another one (Vodafone) to keep them happy but that is cancelled now as out of contract.

I was previously paying about £77 including the other broadband. The VM broadband has been better since we got the hub 5 and the pods but it’s still choppy at times.

I’m tempted to go with Sky as they have 500mb/s and standard TV and Netflix for £60 a month. No dish. Possibly somewhere around £100 cashback from Quidco too.

I can get 145mb/s on that package for £50 but with everyone using it and work, and TV I think it’s best to go bigger.

Carry On Blogging!: Carry On Fan of the Week: Graham
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I pointed out to them that I didnt ask for discounts, I was going to leave and they said they could do it at a reduced price.

My personal view is that £37 VM package is a bargain and I think the broadband is fine but you know what OH’s and kids are like. They have it in their heads that everything that goes wrong in the world is because Virgins broadband router is shit.

I’d pay a couple of quid more for it in fact, but they’ll probably want a new contract starting and I don’t have the energy for 2 years of complaining and me having to get a second BB supplier anyway…

4 hours ago, Genie said:

They have it in their heads that everything that goes wrong in the world is because Virgins broadband router is shit.

The Virgin Broadband routers are most definitely shit.  Broadband connections are rock solid, their routers are naff and always have been.  I Always just use them in modem mode only and use an after market router instead

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Harkanon said:

The Virgin Broadband routers are most definitely shit.  Broadband connections are rock solid, their routers are naff and always have been.  I Always just use them in modem mode only and use an after market router instead

As for increase tell them you have a mobile 5g router and you will use that if they don't drop the rise. I did and they dropped the complete rise.

For clarity I pay £24 a month for 250Mbs, no phone and no TV. Never use their email addresses either , it's a trap, use Gmail. 

Edited by tinker
  • Like 1

Â