Weekends Football 18/20 March

andykeenan

Just now, MachoFantastico said:

Got to say I've been impressed by Forest, worked hard on and off the ball. The fact that Liverpool needed some help from the referee and VAR speaks volumes of how good they've been. 

Pool are without their 4 best players but even so Forest have been solid and just not had that bit of luck, should have gone 1-0 up just before Pool scored.

You can see the drop off in Liverpools squad though, nowhere near the level of City.

4 minutes ago, VillaAlex said:

Wasn't offside but that's a penalty if it's a top four side. Absolute farce.

It’s proper got under my skin today, corruption is ruining the game, it will all Be swept under the carpet and forgotten about .

1 minute ago, AndyM3000 said:

Pool are without their 4 best players but even so Forest have been solid and just not had that bit of luck, should have gone 1-0 up just before Pool scored.

You can see the drop off in Liverpools squad though, nowhere near the level of City.

Luck ? Seriously ?

The officials gave them that one. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gwi1890 said:

It’s proper got under my skin today, corruption is ruining the game, it will all Be swept under the carpet and forgotten about .

It's a show not a competition these days.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Five Ken McNaughts said:

The most advanced part of Jota is clearly his right shoulder / sleeve line yet VAR decided not to draw a line down from it 🤔 

Yep and click one frame back and he appears more onside than off. 

Just now, Five Ken McNaughts said:

The most advanced part of Jota is clearly his right shoulder / sleeve line yet VAR decided not to draw a line down from it 🤔 

They didn't actually draw a line from any part of any Liverpool player in the image shared with ITV.

The fact that the outcome looks completely different dependent on camera angle, them not having a perfect angle, and not having the absolute precision to detect bang on when the player played the ball means that there is actually a quite considerable margin of error with these offside decisions, and treating them as "matters of fact" that can be ruled on with absolute certainty is one of the biggest problems I have with the implementation VAR.

Of course in this case, if it was anything but a big club vs a second division side on the cusp of a potential giantkilling, we'd be saying "stop looking for excuses to rule goals out" ;) 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

We know it wasn't, but your telling me Salah wouldn't have got that. 75% of Salah's penalties are not penaties

Yep just look how they got 3 points at Anfield against us.  Cuts across Mings to initiate contact.  Blatant cheating pen given.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

They didn't actually draw a line from any part of any Liverpool player in the image shared with ITV.

The fact that the outcome looks completely different dependent on camera angle, them not having a perfect angle, and not having the absolute precision to detect bang on when the player played the ball means that there is actually a quite considerable margin of error with these offside decisions, and treating them as "matters of fact" that can be ruled on with absolute certainty is one of the biggest problems I have with the implementation VAR.

Of course in this case, if it was anything but a big club vs a second division side on the cusp of a potential giantkilling, we'd be saying "stop looking for excuses to rule goals out" ;) 

Yes, I agree with most of that. What I would say though, is the fact the VAR decisions are allowed to be presented differently in every match (sometimes using the original camera angle, sometimes not, sometimes drawing lines from shoulders, sometimes not, sometimes choosing a frame with the ball already in motion, sometimes not etc.) means, effectively, that VAR always has wriggle room of about plus-or-minus 8-10 inches as they put together the visual evidence they are gong to present.

And, naturally, they get to decide which team gets the benefit of that moveable margin.

It looked offside to me, and I’m not surprised it was given for Liverpool. But the penalty claim wasn’t a penalty, he dragged his foot to engineer contact. It looked too obvious to fool the ref. Now whether it would have been given if that was Salah engineering contact… well, we all know the answer to that one!

34 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

We know it wasn't, but your telling me Salah wouldn't have got that. 75% of Salah's penalties are not penaties

Was more contact today from Alisson than Mings made on Salah 

• Like 2

Just now, Zatman said:

Was more contact today from Alisson than Mings made on Salah 

Man City's penalty only a brush too!

I certainly wouldn't be surprised if it was all currupt, from the draw, picking non league teams to play top Premier league teams for a bit of money for the lower leagues and entertainment for the fans. Then it's easy enough to knock them out if they get a bit close to the final. 

I mean if Forest played MK Dons in the semis or final, it wouldn't make UEFA much money would it, an we know it's all about the £££££££

Â