Our strikers for 2022/23

Tom13

2 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

I’d love a Japanese/South Korean player. They always seem to have a really good attitude and work ethic. 

There must be a couple of gems in the J League.

Agreed and the commercial value is huge if you get the right player 

1 hour ago, gurru991 said:

I would be scared to sell Watkins, he's the type of player that could come back to haunt you. I would sell Ings & keep Ollie.

Same could be said of Ings.  He was being touted to go to much bigger teams than us before we snapped him up.  Yes a few years older than Ollie but his finishing skills could be fully utilised in the right system and he’s shown in the past some quality goals he’s scored past us.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nick76 said:

Same could be said of Ings.  He was being touted to go to much bigger teams than us before we snapped him up.  Yes a few years older than Ollie but his finishing skills could be fully utilised in the right system and he’s shown in the past some quality goals he’s scored past us.

Yes I agree but Ings just doesn't seem to fit in at Villa & I don't think he is a Gerrard type player either.

5 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

I’d love a Japanese/South Korean player. They always seem to have a really good attitude and work ethic. 

There must be a couple of gems in the J League.

You just knowing Villas luck we will sign the North Korean Tonev

9 hours ago, gurru991 said:

Yes I agree but Ings just doesn't seem to fit in at Villa & I don't think he is a Gerrard type player either.

I disagree, I think he does. When played on his own he fits and suits the system.  He’s never had an extended run on his own to really form that but has scored 3 in 5 games when on his own.  

Most of the season the team haven’t been playing well with lack of our creative players.  Traore and Bailey out all season, Buendia not up speed up early in the season and Coutinho not long on board.  I also think Ings is better suited to a Gerrard system than Ollie.

2 hours ago, nick76 said:

I disagree, I think he does. When played on his own he fits and suits the system.  He’s never had an extended run on his own to really form that but has scored 3 in 5 games when on his own.  

Most of the season the team haven’t been playing well with lack of our creative players.  Traore and Bailey out all season, Buendia not up speed up early in the season and Coutinho not long on board.  I also think Ings is better suited to a Gerrard system than Ollie.

He has played more than 5 games on his own. Gerrard doesn't play 2 up top, he relies on a lone striker with 2 players behind him. When Ings and Watkins are on the team sheet together, Watkins plays behind Ings not beside him. 

Its a 3 in 9 return once you count those games. 2 in 9 if you ignore penalties.

41 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

He has played more than 5 games on his own. Gerrard doesn't play 2 up top, he relies on a lone striker with 2 players behind him. When Ings and Watkins are on the team sheet together, Watkins plays behind Ings not beside him. 

Its a 3 in 9 return once you count those games. 2 in 9 if you ignore penalties.

You're being disingenuous with that comment because you know it's not what I meant plus Gerrard does play 2 up front occasionally for example the last home game when Ollie came on for Dougie...Buendia dropped into midfield, Coutinho went central and Ollie and Ings were up top.  I saw it from the Holte, and was very interested how it was organised when he came on so we went 4312 formation.  I thought I'd seen it before from Gerrard but hadnt gone back to check so I watched intensely this time and you could see Coutinho intentionally move to a central position behind the two central strikers.  It further changed later when Bailey came on to replace Buendia when we were pushing for the win but unfortunately got sucker punched.

But in regards to your point, no he hasnt played on his own in terms of the Ollie and Ings combo, whether Ollie is on the left of the front 3 or as a true two up front.  When Ings is without Ollie on the pitch his record is pretty good at 3 in 5 games.  Just as we would agree that Ollie is better when Ings isnt on the pitch.

23 hours ago, PussEKatt said:

I agree,you have to have a decent defence,but having said that,its no good getting 0-0 draws all season,you must score your fair share of goals as well to get anywhere.

Totally agree.

6 hours ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Signing North Koreans sounds risky, bench them for a couple of games and Kim goes nuclear.

I think they would go down a bomb.

I'd think Watkins has more the xfactor about him than Ings although he hasnt showed it much this season. Give Ings the season and if he doesnt start scoring then I would cash in on him while he still has some value. We need more pace up front. 

If they continue this excellent form then Ings and Watkins and have Archer as third choice. We don't really need anyone else, unless there is a good striker we can get in on a low fee or a free. 

Â