Our strikers for 2022/23

Tom13

8 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Schick and David would be good shouts.  No chance of Osimhen, he's in the same bracket as Vlahovic, Napoli will be looking £80m to sell him.

Napoli paid about 70 million for him 

3 hours ago, VillaFaninLondon said:
  • Davis - sell for 5-10m, done really well at Forest and has qualities but reminds me too much like Heskey and will never be prolific at this level

Davis has better feet and a better touch than Heskey.

Borja looks decent at Southampton?

Thought they signed him but he's only on season loan from Chelsea so that feels like the type we could sign for 15m as fits profile of what we need considering Ings hasn't really worked out.

Archer should certainly get a chance next season given he looks fine in championship but likely only as sub as we'll continue to play one upfront with all the midfielders we now have.

Edited by VillaChris

4 hours ago, duke313 said:

Schick and David would be good shouts.  No chance of Osimhen, he's in the same bracket as Vlahovic, Napoli will be looking £80m to sell him.

Fair point about Osimhen, in hindsight a bit of an unrealistic shout (as are Schick and David probably but more realistic if we were willing to spend big). 

Take out Osimhen for Isak then who Sociedad seem to be willing to accept 60m for, though I think he's a bit overrated.

We definitely missed a trick not getting Alvarez who I think is going straight to the top and was available at decent price, though whether we tried hard and failed I don't know.

Personally feel someone like Gabriel Barbosa is worth a punt as he could be incredible and is probably within a reasonable price range (30m). 

11 hours ago, nepal_villan said:

Hard to answer this until we see how Bailey and Traore will be used.  

Bailey likely to be impact option in either of the '10' positions, more likely the right side though. Traore pretty much the same but behind Bailey in the pecking order I expect, though is probably also third choice behind Watkins and Ings.

1 hour ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Fair point about Osimhen, in hindsight a bit of an unrealistic shout (as are Schick and David probably but more realistic if we were willing to spend big). 

Take out Osimhen for Isak then who Sociedad seem to be willing to accept 60m for, though I think he's a bit overrated.

We definitely missed a trick not getting Alvarez who I think is going straight to the top and was available at decent price, though whether we tried hard and failed I don't know.

Personally feel someone like Gabriel Barbosa is worth a punt as he could be incredible and is probably within a reasonable price range (30m). 

Seen him linked in January past, a bit of a risk as he's never looked that good when he played in Europe, he was still young so perhaps he's improved  

13 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I'd keep Watkins and Ings, maybe add one. loan Archer out and sell the other two.

Thanks to Ben Mee, I'm afraid Wesley will never be what he was when he arrived and we need to let him go.

I think Davis might develop into a Premier league striker, but he needs to play in order to do that and we should probably let him go for his own good.

I'm not quite convinced that Archer will be a Premier League striker at the level we're after - although he has a chance of proving me wrong, he's already much better this season than I thought he had in him, another loan would prove it one way or the other.

Pretty much this unless can get excessive price for Ings, which is unlikely.

Focus needs to be on the DM role this summer. Don't think we look for another striker unless we've intentified a bargain.

I’d like to see what happens ver the remainder of the season before giving my opinion.  

I think Ings needs to be given a chance on his own now and then Ollie another chance after a break and some bench time.  

Then see where we are at the end of the season and also who is available in the market.  

I’m not sure either are going to take us to the next level but will be very much down to who we could get.

• Like 2

At the moment - the only one making the right kind of impact is Archer.  I'm not sure whether he is a PL quality striker yet but there are a lot of good signs.  One thing I noticed yesterday is that on all three of our goals Ollie is on the back foot and doesn't follow in on any of them.  On each occasion if the keeper did make a save then the defender had stolen a march on him and would probably have got to the rebound first.  Little things like that have been concerning me for a while - natural strikers get an awful lot of their goals from being at the right place at the right time.  Ollie seems to be one of those who is nearly in the right place but his reading of the game / determination to bust a gut to be in the right place isn't there.  He's got plenty of strengths but they don't seem to be aligned to the way that it looks like we are going.  It is all beginning to look like this isn't just a bad patch of form.  I hope I am wrong.

25 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I’d like to see what happens ver the remainder of the season before giving my opinion.  

I think Ings needs to be given a chance on his own now and then Ollie another chance after a break and some bench time.  

Then see where we are at the end of the season and also who is available in the market.  

I’m not sure either are going to take us to the next level but will be very much down to who we could get.

IF Buendia, Coutinho and JJ keep playing the way they are - I think there will be some smart strikers / agents out there thinking that they will get a hatful of chances with us.  A proper fox in the box type striker would have every chance of getting 20+ goals and either getting us into Europe or getting the attention of the big boys.

1 minute ago, allani said:

IF Buendia, Coutinho and JJ keep playing the way they are - I think there will be some smart strikers / agents out there thinking that they will get a hatful of chances with us.  A proper fox in the box type striker would have every chance of getting 20+ goals and either getting us into Europe or getting the attention of the big boys.

Completely agree, I'm coming to the conclusion that we'll be after a striker in the summer as a certainty and we've already had tentative links over the last month or so .

10 hours ago, Zatman said:

One league goal since the start of November. His lack of movement has led to Atletico decline

8 in 15 league starts this season. Even at 35 would offer more of a threat than Watkins :)

10 hours ago, duke313 said:

Should have landed Julien Alvarez last summer when we had the chance.

Did we have a chance?

We may have enquired and he may have told us to GTFO! :D 

Why would he join a team that had just survived. 

• Thanks 1

Watkins - TBC. Love to see him get his mojo back. He was so good last year. He seems right off it now. Ever since we signed Ings, its like he's been in a mood! Plus Smith has gone as well. If he doesn't improve between now and the end of the season, I think we should move him on. 

Ings - Keep. Purely as I don't think we could shift him and he's be good backup, as well as a good professional

Davis - Sell. He's looking good now but realistically, he's never going to be a starter here. 

Archer - Keep. Got a great future. 

Wesley - Sell. I don't think he was good enough before the injury. Certainly not now. I do genuinely hope he has a good career somewhere though. 

I think we'll be in for a new striker. Who? No idea. Suarez is an easy link... as is Firminho, who Liverpool look as though they could be moving on from. Both clever strikers. Younger players - Darwin Nunez? West Ham were linked in January. Gabriel Barbosa? Another linked to West Ham. I'll admit I've only looked at South American strikers so far! 

• Like 1

I actually think Werner at Chelsea would be amazing in our system. Whether we could get him I doubt but his movement and link up play would be a perfect foil for Coutinho and Emi I think. 

BTW...I'd flog all our forwards bar Archer and Watkins. And yes, I'd deffo look to bring back Tammy if viable. 

• Like 2

Â