Our strikers for 2022/23

Tom13

3 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

But are there other South American options? I only want us to sign South American footballers from now on.

On the older scale - Suarez and Firminho for obvious reasons. 

Younger players.... Darwin Nunez, a Uruguayan at Benfica... linked to a lot of big teams, or Gabriel Barbosa, at Flamengo. 

7 minutes ago, Adman said:

In terms of style, I'd say Davies is the best suited to our system...

Potentially we will have Ings, Watkins, Bailey, Archer, Davies for one spot when 3 /4 would be more than adequate.  If things continue not to work out for Ings I'd be happy to get our money back on him to Newcastle maybe

I assume you mean Davis but I think he’s least suited to our style.  Forgot my view on him, I don’t think that style of striker is the best style to link with Coutinho, Buendia and Ramsey.  They need somebody to with clever movement, finding the gaps, hopefully great pace, technically good and clinical finishing ability.

Just now, nick76 said:

I assume you mean Davis but I think he’s least suited to our style.  Forgot my view on him, I don’t think that style of striker is the best style to link with Coutinho, Buendia and Ramsey.  They need somebody to with clever movement, finding the gaps, hopefully great pace, technically good and clinical finishing ability.

He's strong, has good feet, can hold the ball up and bring in other players.  Obviously he needs to improve, but purely down to his attributes I can see it working more than a poacher / pressing forward.  Ings and Watkins have been poor so far in this system...

10 minutes ago, Adman said:

He's strong, has good feet, can hold the ball up and bring in other players.  Obviously he needs to improve, but purely down to his attributes I can see it working more than a poacher / pressing forward.  Ings and Watkins have been poor so far in this system...

Ok we’ll have to agree to disagree,I think the style would stifle Coutinho and Buendia for example both Coutinho’s assists against Leeds was finding space that JJ ran into to score.  Their abilities are finding space/gaps at pace for other players to run into, not stop start of holding the ball up and the defence has reset.  Even the combo of Buendia and Ings for his goal not so long was Ings finding that channel that Buendia slips the ball into.

Edited by nick76

19 hours ago, Xela said:

Ahhh my bad. The last two seasons blurred into one for me with project restart etc! 

I still think we weren't the required level to get him - he's a potential star player and he's got his move to a champions league team. Interesting to see how he does at Citeh next year. 

Haha, no worries!

To be fair it's only really this season he's gone up a level, last season he just looked a player with a lot of potential and his numbers were fairly average. I think we had a chance of getting him and competition for him wasn't as fierce last summer, but we maybe chose not to pursue him because he was a risk. 

The players we bought over him last summer - Buendia, Bailey and Ings - were higher profile so I think we could have got him if we wanted, but that's just my view.

Either way it looks like we missed a trick because he could have been our no1 striker for the next 10 years, or at least until City came and bought him for 100m!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

But are there other South American options? I only want us to sign South American footballers from now on.

Well in that case, I think it’s been confirmed that Cavani is not signing a new contract at United. He would be a perfect signing. 

1 hour ago, sparrow1988 said:

Well in that case, I think it’s been confirmed that Cavani is not signing a new contract at United. He would be a perfect signing. 

Would he? His merits and skills are out of this world but I’d say it’s obvious age is finally taking its toll on Cavani, and the odds are against him suddenly improving again after 35.

53 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Would he? His merits and skills are out of this world but I’d say it’s obvious age is finally taking its toll on Cavani, and the odds are against him suddenly improving again after 35.

Ok, perfect might have been a bit much but I think he’d be a great signing. He doesn’t seem to be waning too much physically, very adept at pressing, and he would add a bit of experience in addition to setting standards for young players in how to look after yourself. 

Personally I'd get rid of Ings and Watkins if either one gets less than ten goals this season (Unfair on Ings because he isn't playing). Reinvest the money in someone proven but in their mid 20s. Archer could easily be second choice. Can't see us having all three at the club next season. 

22 minutes ago, Khizzy said:

Personally I'd get rid of Ings and Watkins if either one gets less than ten goals this season (Unfair on Ings because he isn't playing). Reinvest the money in someone proven but in their mid 20s. Archer could easily be second choice. Can't see us having all three at the club next season. 

Depends who you can get in!  We've struggled to get a quality CDM and good strikers are harder to come by 

1 hour ago, Khizzy said:

Thinking about FFP, selling Watkins could make sense if Villa got +40m which would result in a profit. Selling Ings now, we probably would struggle to get more than 20-25 and Villa would have to book a loss.

1 hour ago, Khizzy said:

Have you looked at the Premier League goal charts? You'd be surprised at how few prolific strikers there are in the league. Chelsea's highest goal scorer last year had 7 goals. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nepal_villan said:

Have you looked at the Premier League goal charts? You'd be surprised at how few prolific strikers there are in the league. Chelsea's highest goal scorer last year had 7 goals. 

The PL is moving away from traditional goal-scoring strikers, if not the traditional striker position altogether. It's telling that there was not one striker in the top 6 teams who made the top 5 goal scoring chart last season.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

The PL is moving away from traditional goal-scoring strikers, if not the traditional striker position altogether. It's telling that there was not one striker in the top 6 teams who made the top 5 goal scoring chart last season.

Jota is playing false 9 so will count his 12. After that near 2/3rds into season Vardy has 9. Next four have 8 goals and then drops to 6. Not amazing tallies from main strikers this season

2 hours ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Thinking about FFP, selling Watkins could make sense if Villa got +40m which would result in a profit. Selling Ings now, we probably would struggle to get more than 20-25 and Villa would have to book a loss.

Danny Ings was a 3 year contract so, if we did buy him for the reported £25m, we'd only need to sell for £16.5m in the summer to break even.

His value will also be amortised down another £8m next year, as well as costing £6.5m in wages. Both of which count against FFP. So if we didn't feel the need to replace him we could technically sell him for £2m in the summer and take the exact same FFP hit we would keeping him for the season. If we sold him for the break even of £16.5m and replaced him with someone else on the same wage, we could sign a £40m player on a 5 year deal without increasing our annual amortisation.

I still agree with you that Watkins is the one to sell. We need to try and move him on when his value is at its' peak as imo he just does not have the attributes to improve much further. Unfortunately I think we'd struggle to get much back what we paid unless his form dramatically improves through to summer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Danny Ings was a 3 year contract so, if we did buy him for the reported £25m, we'd only need to sell for £16.5m in the summer to break even.

His value will also be amortised down another £8m next year, as well as costing £6.5m in wages. Both of which count against FFP. So if we didn't feel the need to replace him we could technically sell him for £2m in the summer and take the exact same FFP hit we would keeping him for the season. If we sold him for the break even of £16.5m and replaced him with someone else on the same wage, we could sign a £40m player on a 5 year deal without increasing our annual amortisation.

I still agree with you that Watkins is the one to sell. We need to try and move him on when his value is at its' peak as imo he just does not have the attributes to improve much further. Unfortunately I think we'd struggle to get much back what we paid unless his form dramatically improves through to summer.

Yeah Watkins value has likely dropped. Last summer when he was one of the previous seasons best newcomers and recently capped he could have been worth 50m.

Â