Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

2 minutes ago, skarroki said:

Can't help but look on at West Ham signing Paqueta in envy even if he is definitely not the type of midfielder we need right now 

Hopefully Bednarek on his way here will ease those fears 😂

26 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Apparently their owners have said they can’t sign anyone without selling first, so they will have to if they want to bring someone in. Not sure if FFP related.

Selling Tielemans also makes sense because he won’t sign a new contract, so would lose him for nothing in May.

The owners lost a lot of money because of COVID, they run a duty free business. Also the son isn’t as bothered about the club as his Dad was, that’s according to a Leicester supporting friend of mine.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, StewieGriffin said:

Tomorrow and Thursday are central days - doubt we'll be doing much business Wednesday as we'll be busy being torn apart by Arsenal.

Still absolutely zero links to a midfielder. Really worrying. 

We've got some decent midfielders, our way of playing at the moment isn't helping to get the best out of them.

22 minutes ago, StewieGriffin said:

Tomorrow and Thursday are central days - doubt we'll be doing much business Wednesday as we'll be busy being torn apart by Arsenal.

I think if a deal is completed on Wednesday they might hold off on any announcements til just after or while we get torn apart.. soothe the pain and all that. 

5 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

Tielemans is probably the best we can get right now for midfield.

Can we also go in for Johnathan David or, if not him, Joao Pedro?

Then it’s a CB. A very good CB that can also lead the team.

A little optimistic there mate…I’m just seeing a CB loan at best

2 minutes ago, stewiek2 said:

I think funds have been reallocated to the North Stand development, hence the relative small net spend this summer and looking at the likes of Dawson and Bednerak.

I get the "cheap" centre back - we've dropped £30m on Carlos, and we've got another 2 who cost £30something-million between them. We aren't going to respond to Carlos' injury by signing Kounde or some other elite centre back. When we replace Konsa/Mings or if Carlos isn't the same player on his return, thats when we go £30m again. We dont have a bottomless pit of money to throw at defenders, especially when there are other positions which need attention at that price range.

If the choice is Dawson/Bednarek and a top quality CM then Im all for it. Signing a centre back alone will not fix the problems this team has, but Gerrard has made a couple of comments about a number 8 so Id hope he's after one this week.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, romavillan said:

We've got some decent midfielders, our way of playing at the moment isn't helping to get the best out of them.

Our midfielders are good enough to avoid a relegation fight but they aren't good enough to get us into the top half, let alone the European places.  The core of our midfield has played three seasons for us now - they've "lost" the midfield far more often than they have "won" it.  Hence the reason why, with the exception of one exceptional run of matches nearly two years ago, our form has pretty much been in the bottom half of the table.  Smith and Gerrard have played different systems and the midfield has been our weakness under both.  We can't keep on just praying for the fact that somehow a combination of the midfielders we currently have will click.  Luiz and McGinn are good options for the bench (bordering on very good), JJ has lots of potential but is still a work in progress, Sanson was unlucky to get injured when he arrived but he's been here for long enough to have impressed someone enough to give him a run of games but hasn't, Nakamba is a Championship player.  I would agree that we are not getting the best out of them - but I just don't see that their best is as good as people think.  And unfortunately if you don't get the midfield right then the rest of the game gets much, much harder.

It is a decent midfield for finishing somewhere between 10th and 13th.  With one really good signing to play alongside Kamara it becomes significantly better.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, allani said:

Our midfielders are good enough to avoid a relegation fight but they aren't good enough to get us into the top half, let alone the European places.  The core of our midfield has played three seasons for us now - they've "lost" the midfield far more often than they have "won" it.  Hence the reason why, with the exception of one exceptional run of matches nearly two years ago, our form has pretty much been in the bottom half of the table.  Smith and Gerrard have played different systems and the midfield has been our weakness under both.  We can't keep on just praying for the fact that somehow a combination of the midfielders we currently have will click.  Luiz and McGinn are good options for the bench (bordering on very good), JJ has lots of potential but is still a work in progress, Sanson was unlucky to get injured when he arrived but he's been here for long enough to have impressed someone enough to give him a run of games but hasn't, Nakamba is a Championship player.  I would agree that we are not getting the best out of them - but I just don't see that their best is as good as people think.  And unfortunately if you don't get the midfield right then the rest of the game gets much, much harder.

It is a decent midfield for finishing somewhere between 10th and 13th.  With one really good signing to play alongside Kamara it becomes significantly better.

Kamara and Luiz is two-thirds of a top half midfield for my money. Add Ramsey/Sanson or the Mighty McGinn ( not on current form) to that in a formation that's not drawn in crayon and coached by rod hull and emu you get a good midfield at this level 

1 hour ago, StewieGriffin said:

That's because we are probably not signing one 

3 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Kamara and Luiz is two-thirds of a top half midfield for my money. Add Ramsey/Sanson or the Mighty McGinn ( not on current form) to that in a formation that's not drawn in crayon and coached by rod hull and emu you get a good midfield at this level 

I agree on Kamara. But in 3 seasons there has been no proof that Dougie can be relied upon to give any kind of consistency in midfield bar his form post lockdown. He has real ability but not the consistency .  His form changes like the wind. From game to game not month to month. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

Hopefully Bednarek on his way here will ease those fears 😂

We joke and some cry about the poss signing of Bednarek…  I guess it is driven by the stats men and/or McKenzie. As with Chambers they must see something in Bednarek to disregard other players. Not totally for or against but it is strange one and trust the process. 

We’ve surely got to be looking at gakpo as an attacking alternative if he’s available. The sarr “deal” suggests we want one. Weren’t those scouse charlatans running the show currently allegedly scouting psv against Leicester at the back end of last season