Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

1 hour ago, jacketspuds said:

Not sure how much more creativity we can get in the squad. We need calmness and composure in midfield.

...with the physical attributes of a steroid enhanced gorilla!

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

We’ve got McGinn, mate. Don’t worry about it. 

the worst thing about this comment, is you just know Gerrard actually thinks this.

I feel like i'm living in the twilight zone.

9 hours ago, nick76 said:

Fairly simple, I watch a lot of football especially English top level football.  We also have a unique time that we had the pandemic period where going out was very limited and all games were on telly and analysed to the nth degree.  So when you watch so much and you have a good memory and you notice things over and over again, they tend to stick.  You know how teams play, how players play, strengths and weaknesses.  I bet if you asked many Villa fans who over the last few years have watched a lot of football if you said a player whose played over that period they could tell you their views and things they notice about that player.

I’m not a drinker, I don’t play computer games, I love football and that’s my passion…it’s fairly simple.

This is not to pick on you at all Nick, but I'm interested in your POV here. I watch a lot of football too as, where I live, we get every Premier League game broadcast live. That said, I can barely remember a single performance from Bednarek over the last few years.

I'm not questioning your assessment of the player, as I don't have a contrary opinion on him (or any opinion), but whilst you watch a lot of football, do you think you watch more football than the team that are professionally paid to watch players on behalf of Aston Villa?

IF, and it's a big IF, they have recommended Bednarek to Lange, what reason do you think they have done so?

6 minutes ago, StanBalaban said:

do you think you watch more football than the team that are professionally paid to watch players on behalf of Aston Villa?

I would hope they watch far more football than I do or at least analyse it more than I do as that’s their job.

7 minutes ago, StanBalaban said:

IF, and it's a big IF, they have recommended Bednarek to Lange, what reason do you think they have done so?

This is the thing that baffles me because I don’t know.

Does all this mean that they are right if Bednarek is the player they are after?  I know the point you are trying to make and why some of it is valid because you’d hope that people have watched more than me and analysed more than me, and given they are paid to do this job, have experience in this job and have far more inside knowledge and stats, they should be better than me.  I concede all that.  

Do they always get it right? No.  Do I always get it right? Hell no!  

Do I hope it works out and he becomes a Villa hero if he signs? Hell, yes! If he signs will I support him? Of course.

Should my 45 years of playing and watching football not give me insight on a player that I watch? I don’t think fans who honestly have watched players a lot can be dismissed so easily.  At the end of the day, I don’t think Bednarek is worth us going for.

4 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I would hope they watch far more football than I do or at least analyse it more than I do as that’s their job.

Does all this mean that they are right if Bednarek is the player they are after?  I know the point you are trying to make and why some of it is valid because you’d hope that people have watched more than me and analysed more than me, and given they are paid to do this job, have experience in this job and have far more inside knowledge and stats, they should be better than me.  I concede all that.  

Do I hope it works out and he becomes a Villa hero if he signs? Hell, yes! If he signs will I support him? Of course.

Should my 45 years of playing and watching football not give me insight on a player that I watch? I don’t think fans who honestly have watched players a lot can be dismissed so easily.  At the end of the day, I don’t think Bednarek is worth us going for.

I remember when Villa thought Tom Carroll would be a good signing.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, nick76 said:

No I'm with you, I'm not sure what their plan is IF that's the player that they want, and we all know they don't get it right all the time. 

I have no opion on the player, but I'm inclined to think that he's likely to be a replacement for Hause, rather than Carlos. I think Hause made it known that he wanted to find 1st team football, and we weren't going to stand in his way.

I also think the reaction to Bednarek is down to our desire to see more transfer activity. Compare the reaction to Ludwig arriving as backup to Digne - there wasn't really one as it was hot on the heels of Phil and Kamara signing. This is somewhat similar IMO, but people are losing their shit because there's **** all else in terms of rumours.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, StanBalaban said:

No I'm with you, I'm not sure what their plan is IF that's the player that they want, and we all know they don't get it right all the time. 

I have no opion on the player, but I'm inclined to think that he's likely to be a replacement for Hause, rather than Carlos. I think Hause made it known that he wanted to find 1st team football, and we weren't going to stand in his way.

I also think the reaction to Bednarek is down to our desire to see more transfer activity. Compare the reaction to Ludwig arriving as backup to Digne - there wasn't really one as it was hot on the heels of Phil and Kamara signing. This is somewhat similar IMO, but people are losing their shit because there's **** all else in terms of rumours.

See that’s where I have a difference.  I don’t think he’s a replacement for Carlos directly but he will be starting most games if he signs.  In a World Cup year he’s going to want regular first team football otherwise he won’t move from Southampton (I know he didn’t start today, assume that’s because of the potential move) therefore he’s not going to be replacement for Hause, he’s going to want assurances he gets regular game time ie starting, and if we sign him he will have been given that.  If we said to him that’s he’s going to be behind Mings, Konsa and Chambers then with only about a dozen games before the WC he’s not going to risk that place.  That’s the difference to Ludwig who would’ve known he was back up to Digne.

• Like 1