Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

2 hours ago, MaVilla said:

Net Spend:

22/23 - 14m

21/22 - 2m

Pushing for Europe bois.

Shows that net spend is a worthless way to analyze anything. 

For reference, in the 19/20 season our net spend was 141m. We finished 4th bottom.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Shows that net spend is a worthless way to analyze anything. 

For reference, in the 19/20 season our net spend was 141m. We finished 4th bottom.

we spent well there then, clearly.

All that shows is you can spend money badly, or well.

We spent it badly on the whole.

1 minute ago, MaVilla said:

we spent well there then, clearly.

All that shows is you can spend money badly, or well.

We spent it badly on the whole.

We spent it well because the context was we needed to buy those players to stay up. We did.

This time we've added quality and got rid of a bit of deadwood. Also good (though we need a few more). I'm not stressing because we got Kamara for a free instead of the 60m he would have cost if his contract didn't run out.

1 hour ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

With the rules tightening from UEFA, and the current rules in the league, Villa may have to get used to not spending that much more than they receive from sales. The wage bill doesn't leave much room for big transfer spending.

Villa are trimming down spending to get within UEFA rules for our UCL push in 2057.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

spacer.png

Uh oh, the circular arguments return. 

🎼 round and round we go - in a spin - what a mess we’re in …….

No point in even attempting a rational argument with a fixed position oblivious to objectivity.

• Like 1

It seems that many teams have been able to spend big this season. They have been able to work ffp and still spend. We have not it seems.  I have no argument with us not being able to afford to spend that much after the huge business we have done in the last 36 months.

But and its a big but. All we hear about the owners is their huge ambition and that they want to restore us to the upper echelons. 

But

If you stand still in this league then you regress. Which means that alot of teams this season are pushing ahead of us again. 

I would say that we are standing still based on what we have done so far in the market. And that is not in tune with what we are told . 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

We spent it well because the context was we needed to buy those players to stay up. We did.

This time we've added quality and got rid of a bit of deadwood. Also good (though we need a few more). I'm not stressing because we got Kamara for a free instead of the 60m he would have cost if his contract didn't run out.

i see your point, just not sure i see it your way, which is fine, we all see things slightly differently.

We made some decent signings, but the real difference in us staying up was one player who was already with us, if we didnt have that player then that 141m spent would have seen us relegated.

As i say, i do think we signed "some" decent players, but without that one player, that 141m spent would 100% have seen us in the champ the following season.

3 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

It seems that many teams have been able to spend big this season. They have been able to work ffp and still spend. We have not it seems.  I have no argument with us not being able to afford to spend that much after the huge business we have done in the last 36 months.

But and its a big but. All we hear about the owners is their huge ambition and that they want to restore us to the upper echelons. 

But

If you stand still in this league then you regress. Which means that alot of teams this season are pushing ahead of us again. 

I would say that we are standing still based on what we have done so far in the market. And that is not in tune with what we are told . 

Exactly!  Gerrard needs to get more out of the squad but our business in the market this summer is not reflective of the clubs stated ambitions.

2 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

i see your point, just not sure i see it your way, which is fine, we all see things slightly differently.

We made some decent signings, but the real difference in us staying up was one player who was already with us, if we didnt have that player then that 141m spent would have seen us relegated.

As i say, i do think we signed "some" decent players, but without that one player, that 141m spent would 100% have seen us in the champ the following season.

I mean that spending was done with the knowledge that we had that one player (among others like McGinn for example). If we didn't have that player, I imagine we would have spent accordingly to compensate. 

If we didn't spend that 141m (like a lot of people were suggesting at the time, because playing with Adomah, Jedinak and Whelan would have worked out swimmingly), we also would have certainly gotten relegated. We spent well for our situation. Some of those players we signed then are still key players for us now (Mings, Luiz, Konsa), so it was money well spent.

2 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I mean that spending was done with the knowledge that we had that one player (among others like McGinn for example). If we didn't have that player, I imagine we would have spent accordingly to compensate. 

If we didn't spend that 141m (like a lot of people were suggesting at the time, because playing with Adomah, Jedinak and Whelan would have worked out swimmingly), we also would have certainly gotten relegated. We spent well for our situation. Some of those players we signed then are still key players for us now (Mings, Luiz, Konsa), so it was money well spent.

yeah i agree we needed to spend the money.

I just think, on balance, we didnt spend it well, is all im saying.

38 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

We wouldn't have signed these names if Smith was still here. I think that was part of the reason they wanyed Gerrard, ohh and that Purslow was gagging to get his mate in.

The way his big signings are playing, I'm not sure that's a particularly bad thing. 

Edited by Made In Aston

1 hour ago, AshVilla said:

If we sign Bednarek we deserve to get relegated

Whoever comes in is effectively cover for Hause.

I'm pretty sure Mings and Konsa were the first choice pairing when we kept 16 clean sheets two years ago and in the team last season that was comfortably away from relegation. I can't see how signing bednarek would suddenly cause Mings and Konsa to become massively worse than they currently are and send us spiralling into relegation. 

Edited by Made In Aston
  • Like 2

Looks like we’re looking to bring in a defender, midfielder and a forward player over the next week. Whether we can get all three remains to be seen.

Sarr was clearly a forward targeted for us but we’ll have several others identified. Not sure who though?

Bednarek possibly coming in after the weekend, if not Diallo perhaps? However, what about  John Stones or Trevor Chalobah on loan if neither are going to get regular starts?

The most interesting transfer could be our midfield target? Just got this feeling that it could be the one to get excited about.  Conor Gallagher, Youri Tielemans or someone else? We could go bid on this if we get the right encouragement.

• Like 1