Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

10 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Have you been following the transfers of other clubs?

Right, I'll name them then (6s and 8s):

• Palhinha (Fulham)
  • Onana (Everton)
  • Auoar, Freuler, Mangala (Forest) - three players!
  • Adams (Leeds) - debatable but looks good early on
  • Doucoure (Crystal Palace)
  • Nunes (Wolves)

Go back to January you can add Guimaeres to Newcastle who at the time were in the bottom 3, yes they had money but if we'd been willing to invest on him we'd have got him. Probably could have got Bissouma before he went to Spurs too seeing as an offer was obviously made but below Brighton's valuation.

Bissouma we clearly wanted, and he chose a club with a stronger squad and European football - colour me shocked. Spurs got him a decent price so that wasn’t the issue.

Guimaeres is a great player but we clearly had our target in Kamara for that role. Same goes for Palhinha, we had a different target for DM.

Doucoure is one I agree with, but it’s also telling that Palace got him. For whatever reason Lange et al. didn’t fancy him, or maybe he wanted a move to London? Nunes is obviously a Mendes play, Onana is a talented youngster but we already have many of those. 

Auoar, Freuler and Mangala are decent enough squad players but would they improve the first XI? I’m not convinced.

So despite all your examples I still think you’re wrong.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

If United have withdrawn their bid for De Jong I’m sure they will panic and chuck £50m at Wolves for Neves.

Seems a little bit to sensible for UTD, I wouldn’t rule out them signing Paul Pogba for £148m. 

5 minutes ago, dukes said:

This thread is depressing, not for the lack of serious links to new players, but more so for the attitude of some of our fans.

How anyone can accuse the owners of a lack of investment is beyond me. 4 years ago we were practically bankrupt and now in 2022 we have signed Digne, Kamara, Coutinho, and Diego Carlos surely everyone can see that those signings simply wouldnt have been possible even under the last manager and we couldn't have even dreamt of them under the last owner.

This isn't football manager, signings take time, and theres lots of other teams after similar players. We basically now want a ball playing centre back, a number 8 and a centre forward....practically every team in the league would like to add those players.

Surely one thing we all should realise now is that with Villa there's hardly ever any speculation about actual signings because the club does everything under the radar. 

I think today we just have access to too much information (even if most is made up), i wonder how fans like @VillaFaninLondon and @nick76 would have coped when all we had was ceefax and teletext ?

When people say lack of investment, I assume they mean this window.

Digne and Coutinho came in January and we finished 14th with them.  Improvement in the starting XI was needed this window, we signed Carlos and Kamara for that, and now one is out for the season.  We are currently one player off from the same starting XI of last season, that's the issue people have.

9 minutes ago, duke313 said:

When people say lack of investment, I assume they mean this window.

Digne and Coutinho came in January and we finished 14th with them.  Improvement in the starting XI was needed this window, we signed Carlos and Kamara for that, and now one is out for the season.  We are currently one player off from the same starting XI of last season, that's the issue people have.

Aside from that, NSWE have bankrolled us to the tune of something like 400 mill haven't they?

It's pretty hard to moan, even if anything was scaled back!

I don't even think that's currently the case but still.

3 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

This is a fair point.

True. 

But I also think you need to take squad depth into account. Deano had to have Ashley Young and Carney starting in CM. Or Young and El Ghazi starting on the wings. 

Chambers and Konza are experienced premier league players who have shown they're good enough at this level. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Aside from that, NSWE have bankrolled us to the tune of something like 400 mill haven't they?

It's pretty hard to moan, even if anything was scaled back!

I don't even think that's currently the case but still.

Again, very few are suggesting NSWE have invested heavily in the club since they've been here, they prevented us from going bankrupt, got us promoted, and kept us in the Premier League.

But we've been led to believe we are aiming for Europe, that is simply not possible with the current squad.

3 hours ago, CVByrne said:

For sure the targets are now lowered for the season having lost Carlos. All the pressure we've tried to take off Mings' shoulders no lies squarely back on them. I think Chambers lack of physical presence is what is holding him back getting a regular starting spot beside Mings. 

No they havent, targets are the same

Injuries are part of football, when Liverpool lost Van Dijk the fans didnt say top 4 is acceptable for the Champions

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CVByrne said:

For sure the targets are now lowered for the season having lost Carlos. All the pressure we've tried to take off Mings' shoulders no lies squarely back on them. I think Chambers lack of physical presence is what is holding him back getting a regular starting spot beside Mings. 

I think this is a crazy take TBH. 

15 minutes ago, dukes said:

This thread is depressing, not for the lack of serious links to new players, but more so for the attitude of some of our fans.

How anyone can accuse the owners of a lack of investment is beyond me. 4 years ago we were practically bankrupt and now in 2022 we have signed Digne, Kamara, Coutinho, and Diego Carlos surely everyone can see that those signings simply wouldnt have been possible even under the last manager and we couldn't have even dreamt of them under the last owner.

This isn't football manager, signings take time, and theres lots of other teams after similar players. We basically now want a ball playing centre back, a number 8 and a centre forward....practically every team in the league would like to add those players.

Surely one thing we all should realise now is that with Villa there's hardly ever any speculation about actual signings because the club does everything under the radar. 

I think today we just have access to too much information (even if most is made up), i wonder how fans like @VillaFaninLondon and @nick76 would have coped when all we had was ceefax and teletext ?

Of course we get accused of being negative.

It's not about the signings that have come before, which I was happy with and gave credit to the owners (though I did think they were a bit short term - Carlos, Digne and Coutinho are all 29/30 and coming to the end of their careers).

I know we've come a long way, that's why I'm frustrated and p*ssed off that we seem to be taking a backwards step after finishing in a very disappointing 14th place last season. Also, out of those signings you list, Carlos is out for the season and may never get back to his form of before and Coutinho and Digne have arguably been more disappointing than really taken us forwards and are probably going to regress now given their age. Only Kamara has actually looked to have really improved us.

You also fail to mention that we earned 100m from selling an Academy player, plus 20m from another Academy player, and signing those four players for a combined 68m means we are still 50m in profit. This excuse that we have to be sustainable and can't spend any more money despite having a very weak CM and an injury to a new signing at CB clearly doesn't add up.

Also, you list all the quality players we have signed, look at who Wolves or Leeds have signed since promotion despite having less wealthy owners than us, being smaller clubs traditionally, and spending God knows how long down in the lower divisions, far longer than we ever did. We're not a unique case yet our fans seem to think that everything is hunky dory all the friggin time because we nearly went bankrupt a few years ago and we're ever so lucky. That was then, this is now, stop harping on about the past!

4 minutes ago, Zatman said:

No they havent, targets are the same

I actually have to kind of agree with you here ( Mind-blowing I know )

It's gutting and a massive blow, and will surely make things tougher, but shouldn't be totally derailing IMO.

It's down to SG and the board to make the right choices, whether that be through mitigating selection or signing.

Losing Van Dijk 100 percent affected Pool though!

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

look at who Wolves or Leeds have signed since promotion despite having less wealthy owners than us, being smaller clubs traditionally, and spending God knows how long down in the lower divisions,

I find it funny that you've listed two of the clubs who have regressed in the last 18 months as your examples of "look what they're doing"...........

Aside from Nunes the signing that Wolves and Leeds have made have been disgustingly average.