Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

9 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Bizarrely, I think he'd be great alongside Mings if we're deadset on having a ball player there but we then lose what he can do in midfield. 

Do you think it'll be easier to put Kamara in at CB and find a DM to do what he can do for the time being or finding a CB that can do what Diego can offer?

14 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Injury or no injury, we still need another defensive central midfielder more than we need a new centre half. 

I'd be happy going into the season with Chambers and Mings if it meant we could partner Kamara with someone as good as him. 

Same. I'd also take an all action 8 who can cover a bit of ground. 

Either way it's the midfield all day that needs the upgrade. It's painful watching Boubacar have no one to pass to because Ramsey and McGinn are so far up the pitch.  I rewatched the first half of the Everton game. Coutinho was dropping below the midfield line because no one else was showing. He would initiate the attack but he doesn't have the legs to also show up in the box to finish the move. We desperately need that 8 to help link Boubacar with our creator further upfield. 

• Like 1

Nat Philips is as brave as a lion, never ducks a tackle, wins his aerial 50/50's, and keeps it simple. He hasn't played more at Liverpool because he was back up for Virgil Van Dijk one of the world's best CB's, and more recently Matip and Gomez are ahead of him as CB cover. 

He would be a cheap loan and an option when we play teams that rely on set pieces to win games. Chambers and NP could rotate depending on the style of the opposition.

Regardless of how good we think Carlos could be, sadly he's history for this season so we need options. Konsa worries me every time he plays, and Chambers (who I rate) is not a current Gerrard  starter choice. Hause is nearly back from injury and may be another stop gap option, but I think a loan is more likely for him.

Caleta Car, the Croatian who plays for Marseilles could be another cheapish option. We were linked with him earlier this year. Marseille are rumoured to want £8.5 million for him.

19 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

What is it you see in Nat Phillips? He's barely played any games and the few times I've watched him he looked championship standard.

44 minutes ago, Paul33 said:

Sorry but that is complete nonsense. Carlos has not exactly demonstrated ball playing skills beyond long hoofs and to claim Chambers is not a ball playing CH suggests you've never seen him play. I'd even say Konsa is relatively safe with the ball ..... its only Hause who isn't.

This is easily disproved by looking at the fbref stats for those players. So I won't even bother

• Like 1

Just now, Rustibrooks said:

Is James Garner a decent player? I've never really watched him play,  one of my colleagues that supports Utd seems to think he'll fit in with our midfield? 

no, bang average, overrated because he's a Manure youth player, its like the Liverpool tax.

James Garner is very good, one of the best midfielders in the championship over the last few seasons, am surprised that Man Utd are letting him go, even more surprised that the fee is as low as £14m.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Rustibrooks said:

Is James Garner a decent player? I've never really watched him play,  one of my colleagues that supports Utd seems to think he'll fit in with our midfield? 

Nah...he was never the same after Bruce Lee smashed up his office!

giphy-downsized-large.gif

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Gallagher is great but wouldn’t be happy in a double pivot, he’s an attacking 8.

I agree with you in principle as I see Gallagher as an attacking midfield who likes to roam, but Tuchel has decided that he's a DM and has used him as a very brief substitute for Kante.

If he has the discipline to adapt he could become a real upgrade, due to his physicality, attitude, energy and skill levels. He is also about the same height as Kamara. Two 6ft central midfielders with energy to burn, and the skill to distribute accurately would be a real improvement.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, useless said:

James Garner is very good, one of the best midfielders in the championship over the last few seasons, am surprised that Man Utd are letting him go, even more surprised that the fee is as low as £14m.

bit of a "Maverick"

Maverick.jpg

Edited by TRO

16 minutes ago, useless said:

And by saying I'm surprised they're letting him go, I don't mean I think he's good enough now for a top six or top four midfield, just that given how well he's done over the last two seasons in the championship, I thought the next step would be for them to loan him to a Premier League side, and if he did well at that level could have got United a bigger fee next summer, or maybe even come into contention for a place in their squad.

From what I've seen of him at Forest and England U21s he doesn't really standout defensively or attacking wise, he's more of midfielder that gets on the ball and helps dictate play with good passing, maybe not too dissimilar to someone like Ward-Prowse.

Would surely make sense for Forest to go back for him, given how important he was to them last season and the season before, but they seem to have signed that many players now, might not even have room for him.

Edited by useless

2 minutes ago, useless said:

And by saying I'm surprised they're letting him go, I don't mean I think he's good enough now for a top six or top four midfield, just that given how well he's done over the last two seasons in the championship, I thought the next step would be for them to loan him to a Premier League side, and if he did well at that level could have got United a bigger fee next summer, or maybe even come into contention for a place in their squad.

From what I've seen of him at Forest and England U21s he doesn't really standout defensively or attacking wise, he's more of midfielder that gets on the ball and helps dictate play with good passing, maybe not too dissimilar to someone like Ward-Prowse.

Would surely make sense for Forest to go back for him, given how important he was to them last season and the season before, but they seem to have signed that many players now, might not even have room for him.

Would you take him here at Villa? Would he fit with Kamara and one of Luiz/McGinn/Ramsey? 

To be honest I don't know, I'd be far from disappointed if we signed him, but feel if we were going to sign a player like that we could do with a more proven version. He hasn't shown it at first team level yet, I guess it will come with more game time and confidence, but Iroegbunam has a very good range of passing, I feel like he could develop into a player that can do what Garner can do and more.

• Thanks 1

I thought we’d be splashing the cash a bit this window but it seems we’re not. With this mind I’d go for three players that wouldn’t cost the earth but would give really good options of pace, trickery, possession and progressiveness on the ball. 

I’m not sure if it’s been done before but I’d like us to bring in Marcus Thuram as another option for LW,IF, a left side version of Bailey if you like.  His brother Kephrem as a CM/CDM hybrid, great at breaking up play, is about 6’5” and great at breaking forward. I’d then look for a Coutinho equivalent on the right in Rayan Cherki at Lyon who can also play SS at a push and CAM. Those three would give us loads of options to change things up personnel and shape wise.

CB wise I do like Timber for his progressive game but I’d be worried about his height. Perhaps a stop gap of Chalobah like people have suggested. Could we get Konate on loan from Pool?

• Like 1

James Garner is decent.

But we have Iroegbunam and 2x Ramseys for midfield roles who will both grow in value too. We can't forget Kamara is only 22 as well.

£14m may well turn out to be great value but its also pretty much the entire fee we got for Carney (ignoring the bonuses that take it to £20m). 

We have young midfielders of every type to focus on as it is. Another that 'may' turn out to be a bargain just isn't what we need, we have around 15 potentially very good players to develop, another isn't needed.

Not saying we need all of them now, but I'd have CB, CM, DM, Winger, Striker and even replacements for Ludwig and Olsen as more important needs than another development opportunity. Use that £14m to get 10 players into the Academy instead and focus on quality for the first team.

• Like 1