Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

27 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

I wonder who we’ve been linked with - any rumours ? Or shall we discuss it in the effing Gerrard thread? Or maybe the season predictions thread or the bastid tactics thread!

kin hell.

There aren't any rumours and there hasn't been for weeks

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I think he will see how the first few games go to see if we need anyone else in. Although all the decent players have no been signed by other clubs.

Jesus Christ 😂

Yes, there is literally zero decent players available for purchase at any price 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, DakotaVilla said:

He absolutely will. Even Gerrard said as much in his pre match press conference that he needs to show consistency etc. it’s all irrelevant if we don’t sign a very good CM anyway. 

Delusional. McGinn will play every minute regardless of performance level. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Delusional. McGinn will play every minute regardless of performance level. 

There's a saying at the Villa... Favouritism favours the out of form! :D

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I think that is quite a negative outlook to have, Gerrard is still fairly new to the job, he has only been in charge for 9 months. This is his first full season, he has only just completed his first full pre-season. It is still too early to judge him,  just give him time, I know it is difficult. Gerrard is very young and inexperienced in management, he is learning on the job. I think fans expectations generally of managers and players these days are too high, they aren’t miracle workers. Gerrard was an excellent player, I think he will go on to be an excellent manager, whether it is with us or someone else. I can’t predict the future, I can just watch and enjoy the ride 

Did I judge him? I’m on the fence more than anything… and I said I’m hopeful… and that I wanted everything to go well… so…

Negative outlook? I didn’t say what I believe the future will hold…

Time? I’m giving him time. I’m just not going to lie and make stuff up.

I’m not just going to be a happy clapper, I will say what I see and am entitled to do so.

One thing that irks me is this assumption that great players or players with big reputations are going to be excellent managers and get preferential treatment for it… that’s nowhere near a given and there have been many failures. But I hope he is a success for us, I don’t care about SG’s career or reputation unless it involves success for Aston Villa.

I want us to do well and I expect better.

I don’t see the judgement in that, I’m just not convinced yet…

I don’t see how anyone could be happy with our final league position and our runs of no wins under SG… I would hope/expect that every Villa fan is hoping for much better…

• Like 3

1 hour ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

I ThInK wE aRe DoNe 🥴

To be fair, I now trust the board and management.

For example, we were dissappointed we didn't get a DM in January, they told us that the time wasn't right.

" wHy cAnT tHeY sEe dAt wE bLaTaNtLy nEeD a dM " 

The whole time they were working behind the scenes to secure one of the best DM prospects in the world on a free for the next window.

If they don't do something this window, don't be surprised to see a shock signing in January.

If we have a target we are currently monitoring this window, and a competitor makes a move to get them, don't be surprised to see us stealthily move in on them.

I still think we'll see one more this window though.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Kingman said:

There's a saying at the Villa... Favouritism favours the out of form! :D

He's captain, gerrard loves him and wants to build the team around him. No matter my or anyone elses opinion on him, how people think he isnt guaranteed to start is absolutely bizarre

6 hours ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

It's all well and good being eternally optimistic but now it's time to sh*t or get off the pot

Well at least we now have a definitive length of time for eternity and it’s 9 months. I believe my wife and millions of other women would agree. 

Seriously though, this is a notoriously impatient business and the clock is always ticking. Most people say patience is important, and are right, but the amount of time allowed for patience can be as short as 45 minutes. 

We have been in the doldrums for all the reasons that have been endlessly discussed. However I’d say that now the patience and expectations within the fan base are no longer inline with those of the management and owners. Our expectations are generally along the line of a top half finish at the moment. Where as I think the club's hierarchy are expecting a minimum top 8 and serious progress in the cups.

I include Gerrard in this expectation group. He’s been pretty well backed and his mantra of “no excuses” leaves him pretty much nowhere to hide. I’m sure this isn’t lost on him and adding personal pressure isn’t accidental. In fact it’s an environment he thrives on and expects his players to do the same. The change in captain is  part of the same psychological game. The team has to some degree stagnated over the las 18 months. I believe SG sees both TM and SJM as important players for us but neither are currently at the level they need to be. Swapping them both in this window could be a big risk to stability with all the other changes and so he hopes a shake up will have the desired effect instead. His recent comments about starting places have put them both on alert. Only time will tell, the amount of time allowed is probably somewhere between 45 minutes and 9 months. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

However I’d say that now the patience and expectations within the fan base are no longer inline with those of the management and owners. Our expectations are generally along the line of a top half finish at the moment. Where as I think the club's hierarchy are expecting a minimum top 8 and serious progress in the cups.

This!

I don’t think we are good enough for top 8 but I think the club do.  It’s going to be interesting to see what happens.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, nick76 said:

This!

I don’t think we are good enough for top 8 but I think the club do.  It’s going to be interesting to see what happens.

If the club really do think that then they need to bring in a quality box-to-box midfield player plus a top quality striker/finisher.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, nick76 said:

This!

I think if they agree with you then they’ll try or are trying, to do something about it. The window has around 3 weeks to go, so watch this space. Personally I’d like to see another dynamic box to box midfielder come in at least. However you’d like to think that some players have improved over the summer and that could be a factor too. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I think that is quite a negative outlook to have, Gerrard is still fairly new to the job, he has only been in charge for 9 months. This is his first full season, he has only just completed his first full pre-season. It is still too early to judge him,  just give him time, I know it is difficult. Gerrard is very young and inexperienced in management, he is learning on the job. I think fans expectations generally of managers and players these days are too high, they aren’t miracle workers. Gerrard was an excellent player, I think he will go on to be an excellent manager, whether it is with us or someone else. I can’t predict the future, I can just watch and enjoy the ride 

Still a fan of Gerrard? He’s flipping shite!

• Haha 1