Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

21 minutes ago, burchy said:

I get the impression Gerrard likes toying with the media. Does this, coupled to the fact that our record transfer is only 30 odd million for Emi, mean he’s going to drop a bomb and we go big on a CM and ST this window? It would certainly be a statement if we did, especially with the negativity around losing Carney (even though we did get a great deal for him). 

60m for James Ward Prowse 😀

5 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

I'm hoping it was a presentation on how Tarkowski isn't fit to hold Carlos's Caipirinha while he goes for a wazz.

I've heard it called a lot of names but a Caipirinha is a new on me.

• Haha 1

Clickbait at its best...

Aston Villa receive double boost ahead of Premier League opener

followed by...

“Anwar El Ghazi back amongst the first-team at Bodymoor Heath this week after missing Australia & France trips due to partner’s pregnancy. Keinan Davis also back in training after his latest hamstring setback,”

https://www.footballfancast.com/aston-villa-news/avfc-latest-team-injury-news-updates-el-ghazi-davis-gerrard-squad-afcb-preview-premier-league-gossip

• Haha 4

5 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

I can't see anyone giving us the money we want for Ollie, I assume we would not accept less than 35m so that limits the number of clubs. It would be Leicester, Saints or Brighton imo. Leicester appear to have no appetite to spend and 35m would be too much for the others. Maybe an outside chance of Newcastle but other than that I think Ollie is ours for another year at least. Ings could maybe get a bid of circa 20m which would open it up to more clubs but then wages become a problem 

I don't see why we would sell Watkins to them clubs, especially for that price.  We paid £28m for Watkins with add-ons it could rise to £33m , if we are going to strengthen our rivals they should be asked to pay upwards of £50m+.

6 minutes ago, duke313 said:

I don't see why we would sell Watkins to them clubs, especially for that price.  We paid £28m for Watkins with add-ons it could rise to £33m , if we are going to strengthen our rivals they should be asked to pay upwards of £50m+.

Personally I don't care who we sell to if they meet our asking price and nor do I buy into this idea of charging extra as we are selling to our rivals. Jesus just went to Arsenal for 45m and Sterling to Chelsea for 47m, if u think we can get 50m+ for Ollie then I wish you would take over negotiations at Villa Park, you probably would have got 40m for Chuk. 

Edited by Peter Griffin
Fixed a typo

10 minutes ago, duke313 said:

It shouldn't matter what we previously paid for him, if we currently value him less their bidding price then we should sell. This goes for all our players. 

And I think the whole rival thing is overstated. Obviously we should choose to sell him to non-rival teams if possible but think about it for a minute. If we're selling a player because we think he isn't worth the money being bid for him, that means the other team is likely to be wasting their money by buying him so its not really strengthening is it? And even if he did improve them, what's the worst case scenario here? That the player improves them so much that it pushes them over us in the table? Maybe this is something to be worried about if you're title contenders or competing for top 4, but when we're likely to finish somewhere in the midtable shuffle again, its not really a big loss to finish one position lower. Certainly not something worth almost doubling the price over. Of course if we could still sell him for that price we should go for that too.

Edited by Laughable Chimp
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Peter Griffin said:

Personally I don't care who we sell to if they meet our asking price and nor to I buy into this idea of charging extra as we are selling to our rivals. Jesus just went to Arsenal for 45m and Sterling to Chelsea for 47m, if u think we can get 50m+ for Ollie then I wish you would take over negotiations at Villa Park, you probably would have got 40m for Chuk. 

Jesus and Sterling both had 12 months left on their contracts, and City were looking rid off, not the same scenario as Ollie. 

As far as I know we are not looking to sell Ollie, and he has 3 years left on his contract.  So if someone wants him, it'll take £50m+

2 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

Personally I don't care who we sell to if they meet our asking price and nor do I buy into this idea of charging extra as we are selling to our rivals. Jesus just went to Arsenal for 45m and Sterling to Chelsea for 47m, if u think we can get 50m+ for Ollie then I wish you would take over negotiations at Villa Park, you probably would have got 40m for Chuk. 

Yeah, we can't always make a big profit. Will be nice just to get to a point we're not constantly selling players for a loss or losing them on a free.

1 minute ago, Laughable Chimp said:

It shouldn't matter what we previously paid for him, if we currently value him less their asking price then we should sell. This goes for all our players. 

And I think the whole rival thing is overstated. Obviously we should choose to sell him to non-rival teams if possible but think about it for a minute. If we're selling a player because we think he isn't worth the money being bid for him, that means the other team is likely to be wasting their money by buying him so its not really strengthening is it? And even if he did improve them, what's the worst case scenario here? That the player improves them so much that it pushes them over us in the table? Maybe this is something to be worried about if you're title contenders or competing for top 4, but when we're likely to finish somewhere in the midtable shuffle again, its not really a big loss to finish one position lower. Certainly not something worth almost doubling the price over. Of course if we could still sell him for that price we should go for that too.

We don't though.

Just now, Sam-AVFC said:

Yeah, we can't always make a big profit. Will be nice just to get to a point we're not constantly selling players for a loss or losing them on a free.

I agree but selling a player for the same price we purchased him is very profitable. We have got use out of Ollie for the last couple of years so and we have also amortised half his purchase price. If we got the same back as we paid it would be very positive from a financial perspective. It would be like we had Ollie on a free transfer for 2 years and just had to pay his wages. The more players we can do this with the better. It is such a killer losing players at the end of their contract, and even more so when they have sat on the bench for the previous 12/18 months

5 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

It shouldn't matter what we previously paid for him, if we currently value him less their bidding price then we should sell. This goes for all our players. 

Agreed. Also if we sell a player it is generally because we are going to get a better player in to replace them, therefore the gap between us and the team we sell the player to increases

14 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

With all these house visits I'm wondering whether Gerrard is secretly putting a pilot together for a 'Through the Keyhole' or 'MTV Cribs' reboot. 

tipping off his Scouse mates on local security :P 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

Agreed. Also if we sell a player it is generally because we are going to get a better player in to replace them, therefore the gap between us and the team we sell the player to increases

Neither Watkins or Ings will be sold, not this summer anyway.  Our strikers for this season will be Watkins, Ings and Archer.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Neither Watkins or Ings will be sold, not this summer anyway.  Our strikers for this season will be Watkins, Ings and Archer.

I agree with that. We don't need another and there is no real market (imo) to buy either Ings or Ollie. I think if a suitable bid came in, Gerrard may fancy accepting it and getting a new guy in but I think he is happy enough with what he has

Edited by Peter Griffin
Fixed a typo

2 minutes ago, duke313 said:

I mostly agree but there are still rumours we are after a striker this summer so it’s not a definite

1 minute ago, Peter Griffin said:

I agree with that. We don't need another and there is no real market (imo) to buy either Ings or Ollie. I think if a suitable bid came in, Gerrard may fancy accepting it and getting a new guy in but I think he is happy enough with what he has

I don’t think he’s happy with what he’s got hence why the rumours persist that we are after another CF but we may just not be able to get the one in we want.  That doesn’t mean he’s happy, just means he’s stuck with what we have.  It’s not a bad situation, just seems not totally what Gerrard wants if the rumours are true.

27 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

With all these house visits I'm wondering whether Gerrard is secretly putting a pilot together for a 'Through the Keyhole' or 'MTV Cribs' reboot. 

It will be called, "Lerrus in ya Blairt"