Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

27 minutes ago, Rolta said:

This could go in a few different threads, but we are looking in much better shape than our first game last season:

image.png

Sometimes you have to go back and see just how far we have come in 12 months . Really good acquisitions 

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Rolta said:

This could go in a few different threads, but we are looking in much better shape than our first game last season:

image.png

remember seeing that lineup pop up and thinking.......wtf are we doing....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

There is a very regular rumbling of us being interested in Kean from Juve (Everton). He is still only 22 and has a lot of positives (and negatives). I do like the idea of getting him on loan with an option to buy for about 25m and watching him scores 20 goals next season and then forcing Everton to sell him for only 25m. I don't think the Everton fans would be too happy and no doubt Gerrard would get a little kick out of it 😀

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

i would be surprised tbh, if our transfer business was done.

Considering the spending of some of the other teams so far, our net spend over the last 2 seasons is roughly £30m (roughly even net spend in 21/22, currently a net spend of 30m in 22/23).

That kind of net spend doesnt scream "lets challenge for the top 7" to me, although granted that in the two years before that, we had a net spend of something like £230m +.

Although, we do need to offload 3-5 players, our squad is pretty bloated with poor/bang average fringe players.

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

i would be surprised tbh, if our transfer business was done.

Considering the spending of some of the other teams so far, our net spend over the last 2 seasons is roughly £30m (roughly even net spend in 21/22, currently a net spend of 30m in 22/23).

That kind of net spend doesnt scream "lets challenge for the top 7" to me, although granted that in the two years before that, we had a net spend of something like £230m +.

Its the salaries that are stopping us spending loads more i think.  We are paying big wages for key players.  Our problem is our commercial income is still not great. 

• Like 1

Just now, MWARLEY2 said:

Its the salaries that are stopping us spending loads more i think.  We are paying big wages for key players.  Our problem is our commercial income is still not great. 

yeah, i edited my original post to comment that we need to offload quite a few fringe players, i imagine there is literally hundreds of thousands a week tied up in poor/average squad players....(aka Davis, El Ghazi, Traore, Hause, Guilbert, Nakamba etc)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peter Griffin said:

There is a very regular rumbling of us being interested in Kean from Juve (Everton). He is still only 22 and has a lot of positives (and negatives). I do like the idea of getting him on loan with an option to buy for about 25m and watching him scores 20 goals next season and then forcing Everton to sell him for only 25m. I don't think the Everton fans would be too happy and no doubt Gerrard would get a little kick out of it 😀

scored 7 goals in 64 games for Juve & Everton.

We have better than that already....I think the Everton fans would be delighted.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Made In Aston said:

Who said date night was dead😘

A few glasses of the local good stuff. My wife is actually away tonight. Why don't you just crash at mine? The couch pulls out... Actually I'm not bothered pulling out the couch. Why don't you just get into bed with me. No funny business haha...

Dear reader, there was lots of funny business. Outside the window watching on, Idrissa Gana Gueye allowed a single tear run down his cheek

5 minutes ago, TRO said:

We have better than that already....I think the Everton fans would be delighted.

He is only very young and was particularly so at Everton, he got 19 in 46 for PSG in between his time at Everton and Juve. At Juve is was mostly used as a sub (Dybala was ahead of  him). He played a total of 1089 mins is is just a little over 12 games worth of football and scored 5 and had 3 assists. I don't think he is as bad as the high level stats suggest. At 22, if we could take over Juve's loan deal which is 3m for the season and 24m buy it may be a fairly risk free opportunity if we can have the buy as an option and not a mandatory clause. He is the sort of player that I think the right club and some TLC and he could be very good

1 minute ago, YLN said:

A few glasses of the local good stuff. My wife is actually away tonight. Why don't you just crash at mine? The couch pulls out... Actually I'm not bothered pulling out the couch. Why don't you just get into bed with me. No funny business haha...

Dear reader, there was lots of funny business. Outside the window watching on, Idrissa Gana Gueye allowed a single tear run down his cheek

So it is not just me having a few beers tonight 😍

So back on topic now.

I have just seen the post on Facebook announcing McGinn is captain.

I think this answers one of our pressing questions this window in how will the midfield line up.

Well we knew Kamara would start every week and now we know McGinn is too. That leaves only one other space for us to shape a midfield three now.

14 minutes ago, paul514 said:

So back on topic now.

I have just seen the post on Facebook announcing McGinn is captain.

I think this answers one of our pressing questions this window in how will the midfield line up.

Well we knew Kamara would start every week and now we know McGinn is too. That leaves only one other space for us to shape a midfield three now.

If we have genuine aspirations of getting in to Europe then no player should be guaranteed to start every week.  That will be the same with the captain. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, TRO said:

You’re probably right TRO. Lots of managers and probably more so fans have an element of trying to polish another teams flop into a diamond. The attraction is obvious but usually the expectations of that player and therefore at some point the price paid, was the mistake in the first place. High risk big reward perhaps but it often ends in tears. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

I don't think Ash will be playing much tbh

Ash will play every game in every position at least once. So minimum 11 games. 

Gerrard has his favourites remember !

But on a serious note and back on topic. I reckon one more incoming midfielder. 

Outgoing expect Guilbert, Traore, AEG and maybe Sanson depending on if we get a new midfield in or not.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

55 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

If we have genuine aspirations of getting in to Europe then no player should be guaranteed to start every week.  That will be the same with the captain. 

I think your captain starts pretty much every match. There will be the odd rest but that is about it.

1 hour ago, DaveAV1 said:

You’re probably right TRO. Lots of managers and probably more so fans have an element of trying to polish another teams flop into a diamond. The attraction is obvious but usually the expectations of that player and therefore at some point the price paid, was the mistake in the first place. High risk big reward perhaps but it often ends in tears. 

I wouldn’t buy the lad unless I was 1000% sure that it would work here when it hasn’t elsewhere.

like I somehow knew what the problem was elsewhere and that couldn’t be repeated here.

if we are going to replace one of our two first choice strikers then it needs to be as sure a thing as possible.

• Like 1