Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

So now Trez, Hourihane, Kalinic and Targett have left this summer that helps offset some wages and brings in 20m

So we are now probably trying to get rid of Steer, Guilbert, Sanson, AEG, Davis

Might want to get rid of Hause, Luiz, Chukwumeka, Traore

Edited by paul514
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, sne said:

According to Transfermarkt Bailey has 6 games as striker and 2 as second striker in his career. Also has 4 as ACM.

The other 230 or so he's played on the flank. Guy is a wide player. When fit he's rapid, certain he was hampered by that injury last season.

We don't seem to be playing with wide players thou.

I definitely think he can play as a striker running in behind.

Think Svanberg has a long way to go to be a top half PL player.

Whenever he plays for Sweden you don't really notice him. Which tbf is high praise for a Swedish CM since the others are garbage.

Still hold hope that Jens Cajuste will come good thou

12 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I'm not really disputing that Jesus is a worse/better player than Watkins - just that spending £45m on Jesus does not mean we have a drastically better striker.  I think you're completely wrong in your "little secret, he would be by far" bit - and there's nothing that demonstrates that Jesus would outscore Watkins in a season; partly because he never has.

Obviously no-one knows whether Arsenal were or were not interested in Watkins but part of the reason they have gone for Jesus is because he was available.  Man City have signed Haaland - they don't need Jesus and are happy to recoup £45m for him.

Also, you're not comparing apples with apples there.  To do so would be to look at their tallies whilst playing in that central striker role.  Jesus scored 1 in 8 there last season, Watkins scored 10 in 31 - and Watkins plays in a much inferior team which creates nowhere near the same number of chances.  1 in 8 a clear improvement over 1 in 3 "by far"?  I'll take your word for it.

Fair but on the other side of that argument you could argue it's a lot harder to stand out and score/assist regularly in that City side because they have so many good players. Look at Grealish FFS, 3 goals and 3 assists last season playing in a 'much better' team compared to 6 goals and 10 assists for us the season before. Watkins is the focal point of our attack so should be scoring regularly. And while we're obviously not at City's level, we have enough creativity for a decent striker to be converting regularly IMO.

Anyway this is a fairly moot argument as I'd much rather we bring in a no 8 to replace McGinn before bringing in another striker, but I think we need to try to upgrade both.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, paul514 said:

Traore played a while season as striker for Lyon and think he would join up the midfield and attack well. But I'm not sure how active he would be at pressing from the front though. 

Edited by Made In Aston

2 minutes ago, paul514 said:

He possibly could. He's just never done it. He has about the same amount of games in that position than Chris Samba

• Like 2

Just now, sne said:

He possibly could. He's just never done it. He has about the same amount of games in that position than Chris Samba

Just going by his attributes I mean.

• Like 1

Just now, paul514 said:

Just going by his attributes I mean.

Yeah I think he could do a job there in a situation where we are playing on the counter for example. Every team has to respect pace.

9 minutes ago, paul514 said:

So now Trez, Hourihane, Kalinic and Targett have left this summer that helps offset some wages and brings in 20m

So we are now probably trying to get rid of Steer, Guilbert, Sanson, AEG, Davis

Might want to get rid of Hause, Luiz, Chukwumeka, Traore

Think Steer will be injured still until about Christmas

6 minutes ago, sne said:

Think Svanberg has a long way to go to be a top half PL player.

Whenever he plays for Sweden you don't really notice him. Which tbf is high praise for a Swedish CM since the others are garbage.

Still hold hope that Jens Cajuste will come good thou

Albin Ekdal probably has about 100 caps at this stage and has done very very little in them games. Saw him recently for Sampdoria and he done more in one half than ever for Sweden

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Think Steer will be injured still until about Christmas

Don't think we would get anything for him anyway.

Maybe deano will take him to Norwich in January, it is where he is from after all.

Just now, Zatman said:

Albin Ekdal probably has about 100 caps at this stage and has done very very little in them games. Saw him recently for Sampdoria and he done more in one half than ever for Sweden

Not been a single national break where Ekdal has not come in carrying an injury or picked up a new one. Not a single occasion in 10 years. :D

He's done a solid job for Samp thou.

16 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Fair but on the other side of that argument you could argue it's a lot harder to stand out and score/assist regularly in that City side because they have so many good players. Look at Grealish FFS, 3 goals and 3 assists last season playing in a 'much better' team compared to 6 goals and 10 assists for us the season before. Watkins is the focal point of our attack so should be scoring regularly. And while we're obviously not at City's level, we have enough creativity for a decent striker to be converting regularly IMO.

Anyway this is a fairly moot argument as I'd much rather we bring in a no 8 to replace McGinn before bringing in another striker, but I think we need to try to upgrade both.

Yep.  Another midfielder is the key position to fill.  If we get that right then we should be well set for a top half finish as I think Ings / Watkins would score enough to do that but not enough for us to properly challenge for Europe.  Bringing in the type of striker I think we need in order to start thinking about being "best of the rest" or even challenging the "sly 6" but not sorting our midfield could potentially see us finish top half but could also see us miss out again as we wouldn't have the strong platform needed for that player to really thrive and could soon resort to the age old tactic of hoof the ball down the left touchline for the striker to chase.  The striker we need longer term would almost certainly be less effective at that job than Ollie.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SirSteveUK said:

Ings - 7 goals / 6 asists in 22 starts ?  *shrugs*

Decent stats. However, he also missed a fair few opportunities that I would have expected him to have put away based on his Southampton performances.

I think we will see the best of Ings next season.

6 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

Decent stats. However, he also missed a fair few opportunities that I would have expected him to have put away based on his Southampton performances.

I think we will see the best of Ings next season.

No one’s perfect, Harry Kane missed chances my dead nan would have put away in the first half of the season. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, thabucks said:

Can any Italian football fans fill me in and describe Bologna’s Mattias Svanberg Swedish 6 or 8 … Names cropped up but don’t know too much about him other than he is quite highly rated and think has a year left on his contract 

I'd hardly call myself a Svanberg expert, but I've seen him in a few matches. Somewhat similar to McGinn in that he was playing for a team that needed him to be a bit more defensive than he seems capable of being, and is better served going forward. Pretty good on set pieces. Not much of a passer worth noting. For context, though, it's important to point out that the only time I'm watching Bologna is when it's playing the top sides in Italy. I have no idea what Svanberg looks like when he's playing against sides on par with Bologna.

Just now, Delphinho123 said:

You'd think Luiz was staying judging on the content released by the admin today. 

No chance they have any idea who could be leaving.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

You'd think Luiz was staying judging on the content released by the admin today. 

I'm starting to think he is to be honest. I wouldn't be totally against the idea of him staying to be fair.

• Like 1