Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

11 hours ago, paul514 said:

Why?

Played well for Ivory Coast in last AFCON. Seems solid for PSV and has good european experience last few seasons. Will go for similar price as Bissouma.

Next 8 for us is a tough call. In ideal world I'd like someone reasonably experience in prem but Bissouma not an option, Ward Prowse would cost stupid money and we won't get likes of Neves or Tielemans as they want CL football.

So probably development signing from abroad is best buy given Kamara is seen as ready made player for premier league and hopefully after settling in they can dovetail nicely.

Just hope it's not a case of club tracking a target for months, sign them and then after one training session the manager concludes he'd rather keep playing McGinn every week as has happened with Sanson.

Phillips must be much better than I've seen with the naked eye.

Also, just seen another Luiz to Roma link, apparently they think they can get him for 27 mill ?

Anyway that Roma link has been lingering for way too long to not be credible.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

2 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Phillips must be much better than I've seen with the baked eye.

Also, just seen another Luiz to Roma link, apparently they think they can get him for 27 mill ?

Anyway that Roma link has been lingering for way too long to not be credible.

Thought that stuff was difficult to come by in your neck of the woods? 😅

• Haha 2

44 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Played well for Ivory Coast in last AFCON. Seems solid for PSV and has good european experience last few seasons. Will go for similar price as Bissouma.

Next 8 for us is a tough call. In ideal world I'd like someone reasonably experience in prem but Bissouma not an option, Ward Prowse would cost stupid money and we won't get likes of Neves or Tielemans as they want CL football.

So probably development signing from abroad is best buy given Kamara is seen as ready made player for premier league and hopefully after settling in they can dovetail nicely.

Just hope it's not a case of club tracking a target for months, sign them and then after one training session the manager concludes he'd rather keep playing McGinn every week as has happened with Sanson.

Yea but the guy isn't an 8, that's my point 

2 hours ago, ender4 said:

Yes, i think so. McGinn and Luiz are decent for a top 10 team, but not really a proper top 6 player.   Ramsey has potential to get there but isn't quite there yet.

Similar to our strikers - Both Ings and Watkins are decent, and fit well for Villa as a mid-table team.  But if we want to break into the top 6, then individually neither are quite up there.

You say that, but West Ham finished in the European places with Antonio up front and were keen to sign Watkins apparently. 

18 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

You say that, but West Ham finished in the European places with Antonio up front and were keen to sign Watkins apparently. 

All round better squad and a seasoned, top Manager.

So just saying " with Antonio up front " is a false representation of the broader reality.

It's like saying Man City won the title with no recognised striker, so it's an incredible achievement.

Further more, that West Ham squad have been in the PL and investing consistently for alot longer than we have.

This is our 3rd year back and we are transitioning still out of a Championship squad. ( This seemingly being the last year of that )

4 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

All round better squad and a seasoned Manager.

So just saying " with Antonio up front " is a false representation of the broader reality.

It's like saying Man City won the title with no recognised striker, so it's an incredible achievement.

The OP said that our frontline isn't good enough to get us into Europe and I pointed to Anotnio, who isn't as good as either of our first choice strikers, but is leading West Ham's line into Europe. 

Like you mentioned, some of the players behind the strikers need improving, as a priority, to make us a European challenger. Watkins and Ings are not the main concern. Any improvement up front this window would be a welcome bonus. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

The OP said that our frontline isn't good enough to get us into Europe and I pointed to Anotnio, who isn't as good as either of our first choice strikers, but is leading West Ham's line into Europe. 

Like you mentioned, some of the players behind the strikers need improving, as a priority, to make us a European challenger. Watkins and Ings are not the main concern. Any improvement up front this window would be a welcome bonus. 

I'd have Antonio over Watkins and Ings.

Edited by Laughable Chimp
  • Shocked 1

6 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

I'd have Antonio over Watkins and Ings.

I'm about to blaspheme here, but what people don't realise is that Antonio is a " different " kind of forward, he doesn't need to be clinical, but does get his fair share of goals.

The closest player we have to Antonio is * cough Keinan *cough Davis.

Not sure why people talk about Antonio as if he's shite to be honest. Lol

It would benefit us to ADD one of these types to Ings and Ollie.

OBS the dream is to have one who is has a bit of all their qualities.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I'm about to blaspheme here, but what people don't realise is that Antonio is a " different " kind of forward, he doesn't need to be clinical, but does get his fair share of goals.

I think this is an understatement. He's had 10 goals in each of the last 3 seasons and the only reason he hasn't had more is he's missed a lot of games through injury(last season being the exception). He's at least as good a goalscorer as Ollie is and no one here is saying Ollie doesn't score enough.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Antonio does a great job for West Ham. I like him but fans don’t rate him because of his goal return. Fans need to realise the game is changing and a forwards role isn’t about just scoring goals anymore. They get a lot more involved in the game nowadays. With the exception of a few, forwards don’t score as many goals as they used too. Look at Kane he hasn’t scored as many goals over the last few years as he’s more involved now. 

Edited by WHY

2 hours ago, ender4 said:

Maybe. I think he'd be better going to a top of the Championship team for a season and let's see if he thrives there. 

Even if he does, it's a massive jump up from 'top of Championship' striker to being a 'European chasing' striker.

There is - but depending on the player, the Pygmalion Effect might be exactly what he needs. It’s a massive jump but weirdly, at the same time, it’s fine lines at that level.

The point is that West Ham (supposedly) think Watkins is an improvement on what they have. 

Therefore, the fact they think its enough to improve them, a team that finished 7th, he's surely good enough for our team that isn looking to try and finish there.

It suggests we need to improve the other areas of our squad first...which we have already done to an extent.

The only area untouched from last season (aside from the strikeforce, and assuming we include Coutinho as a signing) is the 8's in our lineup. 

So remaining signings to improve our lineup have to be an 8 or a striker. I think the 8 is a bigger concern.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, WHY said:

Antonio does a great job for West Ham. I like him but fans don’t rate him because of his goal return. Fans need to realise the game is changing and a forwards role isn’t about just scoring goals anymore. They get a lot more involved in the game nowadays. With the exception of a few, forwards don’t score as many goals as they used too. Look at Kane he hasn’t scored as many goals over the last few years as he’s more involved now. 

Difference is we don’t have the rest of the team contributing enough goals wise not to have strikers score more than their fair share.

1 minute ago, MrBlack said:

The point is that West Ham (supposedly) think Watkins is an improvement on what they have. 

Therefore, the fact they think its enough to improve them, a team that finished 7th, he's surely good enough for our team that isn looking to try and finish there.

It suggests we need to improve the other areas of our squad first...which we have already done to an extent.

The only area untouched from last season (aside from the strikeforce, and assuming we include Coutinho as a signing) is the 8's in our lineup. 

So remaining signings to improve our lineup have to be an 8 or a striker. I think the 8 is a bigger concern.

But Luiz has been linked with Roma and Arsenal, McGinn has been linked with Man U and Spurs.  Just because they are linked doesn’t mean they are right for us or they would move to those clubs.  It’s a false narrative using that as a reason.

3 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

1- I don't think they necessarily think Watkins is an improvement. They want him because they need to start planning to replace their aging striker.

2- When are we going to learn that just because a club is interested in a player, doesn't mean that player is actually good. Despite their best efforts, clubs make bad signings all the time.

Sometimes its not even clear whether there's an actual interest. Only tenuous links and fans use that as an excuse to say "see, so and so want him so he must actually be good".

• Like 1