Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

1 minute ago, Steero113 said:

I'd only want an upgrade on what we have and that entire list (except Jesus who would want CL I'd imagine) are worse than Watkins and Ings or at the very best similar. 

The problem that we have re: strikers is that to upgrade on what we have we need to move into the £50m + category, and I don't think the need is that great for our owners to sanction smashing our xfer record for it. 

I would give u more than one 'like' if I could

Can't Bailey play up front if needed too?

There is also that Brad Young who actually looked ahead of Barry in his development to me although he doesn't look like he scored many at Carlisle.

I just don't see Ings and Watkins being as bad next year, particularly if we have sorted the DM out so can play with more freedom up front.  Ings has scored everywhere he's been, last season was an anomaly.

I don't see it as a priority position if the only way to improve it is to spend most of our budget.    I notice no one has mentioned Davis, I still hold out hope but I know 99% of you don't.  

Obviously if Ings is being sold (which I doubt) they we would 100% need a new experienced striker in.

The other option is ANOTHER punt on someone from Belgium or similar league and just hope this time we get lucky,

2 hours ago, Peter Griffin said:

Would people be happy with Ben Brereton Díaz for about 20m/25m. Would that give us a worthwhile extra option next season or would it just be adding to the numbers and not offering much real value to us

Always get wary of players that have a breakout Championship season. For every Watkins you get more Adam Armstrongs who didn't do much last season though did get one of his two goals vs Villa 😂😂

Also came from Blackburn 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jacketspuds said:

Apparently missed a quarter of last season with hamstring issues. No point risking it considering how Archer is doing.

Still think Isak could do a job. Would offer us something different as he’s 6’4, but also technically good as well.

I like Isak but he has had a really poor season and his international form has dried up as well 

For 70 million I would want to see a lot more

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Always get wary of players that have a breakout Championship season. For every Watkins you get more Adam Armstrongs who didn't do much last season though did get one of his two goals vs Villa 😂😂

Also came from Blackburn 

Obviously there is risk buying from the Championship but there is also players like Bohen, Maddison, Eze, Toney and many more who can make the step up

7 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

Obviously there is risk buying from the Championship but there is also players like Bohen, Maddison, Eze, Toney and many more who can make the step up

Of course but I just think a striker would cost more so its a bigger risk

I dont think we are signing a new striker anyway 

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

Of course but I just think a striker would cost more so its a bigger risk

I dont think we are signing a new striker anyway 

As per my comment he is been quoted at 20m to 25m. Not exactly breaking the bank for a striker with potential

It would be much more useful to get the midfield properly sorted over buying a new striker. Ings and Watkins are both very capable of scoring the goals we need and with a high performing midfield they will get plenty of chances. Archer will be a great third striker, he’ll get game time in the early cup games and off the bench. I feel he will develop quickly in the premier league and be a decent back up, coming in when the first two are injured or just as rotation. 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

If we sell Davis (which is likely), how would people feel about starting the season with just Watkins, Ings and Archer (if he doesn’t go out again on loan) as our striker options?

Personally, I think we need another one.  Who that is I don’t know but plenty to choose from I imagine, ie Richarlison, Jesus, Isak, David, Depay, Kean, Barbosa, Jovic, Bellotti etc. Most have been discussed on here already but are there any others that may interest us?

Totally agree with this bar some of the players such as barbosa and kean who are way below par in my humble opinion 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tommo_b said:

I agree Arsenal would.

Watkins hit what 12 goals this season?

Ings if given a game time and starts is deadly imo.

Re: Ings

He was frightening last season extremely lethal im surprised he never won PFA player of the year 🫤  especially when he scored all those chances against liverpool last month 

Edited by RicRic

Just now, RicRic said:

He was frightening last season extremely lethal im surprised he never won PFA player of the year 🫤  especially when he scored all those chances against liverpool last month 

I would put that down to being a little rusty. You don’t score as many premier league goals as he has throughout without having some pedigree.

1 minute ago, RicRic said:

It wasn't funny or interesting the first, second or third time. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

It wasn't funny or interesting the first, second or third time. 

Sorry didnt meant to post so many times, or even disrespect one of our greatest players of all time

5 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

I would put that down to being a little rusty. You don’t score as many premier league goals as he has throughout without having some pedigree.

Not saying he isnt a good player I always wanted him at villa park tbf but i think its time to close that door and open a new one 

53 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

I'd only want an upgrade on what we have and that entire list (except Jesus who would want CL I'd imagine) are worse than Watkins and Ings or at the very best similar. 

The problem that we have re: strikers is that to upgrade on what we have we need to move into the £50m + category, and I don't think the need is that great for our owners to sanction smashing our xfer record for it. 

We don't need an upgrade. We just need another option. We only have Ings and Watkins that are proven Premier League strikers. We often play 2 up top so we're very light in that department. Archer might be an option but we need a 3rd senior striker who has proven himself in one of the top Leagues.

Jamie Vardy is probably the only centre forward outside of the top 4 that is an improvement on Watkins or Ings. Someone will now list Ivan Toney, but his non penalty goals are very very low and lower than Ings had last season when he had an off season.

Antonio and Richarlison aren't better than Watkins for example. People need to realise we have two proven Premier League centre forwards at the club and the exciting thing is they can improve a lot from last season. 

Watkins for example scored 6 in his last 14 games. I fully expect him to hit 15+ next season and the role a centre forward plays in modern Premier League football is so much more than just goals. 

• Like 2