Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

9 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

London is UK.  I remember when I told someone in Miami I was from Birmingham and they thought I meant Alabama. 

Anyway back on topic -  I reckon left back next signing. 

I was told that I must be French if I live in London by an American once. He couldn't believe there were black people in the UK either lol, according to him France was the only European country to have any person of colour outside of North America.🙄

• Shocked 1

38 minutes ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

I never understand the 'London' pull.

I actively try and avoid going there. In fact, the only time I've been in the vicinity is going to Wembley.

Me too, it isn't even a British city anymore its just this weird international place that has stolen the capital of our country.

• Confused 1

Why on earth has Palace potentially signing Doucoure sparked a debate over the attraciton of London, we've just signed Kamara by far the more sought after player, I bet most people haven't even seen Doucoure play, and those that have only once or twice.

We've just signed two French internationals, a Brazilian international, and a defender that was part of a defence that conceded the least goals in La Liga.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

I never understand the 'London' pull.

I actively try and avoid going there. In fact, the only time I've been in the vicinity is going to Wembley.

Vast majority of foreign players love it there. Go on Douglas Luiz insta and he's got loads of jaunts down to London on there, same for Buendia when he was at Norwich so it's all the endless entertainment on offer, restaurants and even anonymity. 

Would be good if we could open a few more South American restuarants in Brum given our growing number of players from that continent to help them settle in. Fidel Del Asado is still open on the Hagley road (I think) but that's a bit out of the way. Think Pulperia is still open in Brindley Place but that's about it really unless I've missed another obvious one.

8 minutes ago, useless said:

Why on earth has Palace potentially signing Doucoure sparked a debate over the attraciton of London, we've just signed Kamara by far the more sought after player, I bet most people haven't even seen Doucoure play, and those that have only once or twice.

We've just signed two French internationals, a Brazilian international, and a defender that was part of a defence that conceded the least goals in La Liga.

Will be a good battle with Palace next season. Like us they struggle with not having a reliable CF. Edouard started the season but he was just bench warming end of the season, Mateta chips win with a few goals but not really the quality to get them into europe. Conor Gallagher will be a big miss aswell but rest of their team looks exciting with Eze and Olise in mdfield and pretty good backline that conceded less than us.

The Missus supports them so don't really want to be paying for another big meal out in the who finishes higher end of season bet again.😂

22 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Be surprised if we end up with a better midfielder than Doucoure. Hopefully!

We already got Kamara who is better. Why would we need another 22yo CDM from France? We need an experienced player in midfield we already have young players in JJ, Kamara, Chukwuemeka, Iroegbunam

• Like 3

It's going to come down to the individual

What are they in it for? Are they thinking purely of their career, of football, are they going to work hard to better themselves etc? Then they'll come to whatever club represents the best option. If they fancy being Billy Big Balls somewhere, if they've got their heads turned by the lifestyle, they'll probably prioritise a move to London. Even if it's to play for Palace or whoever.

I always think of James Milner as a perfect example when this debate comes up. He is often held up as a paragon of a "boring" player who was so dedicated to being the best player he could be that he eschewed the lifestyle: he's tee-total, he trains late, he doesn't wear flashy clothes etc.

Leeds, Newcastle, Villa (twice), Man Citeh, Liverpool. Has never played for a Landan team and never will.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

We already got Kamara who is better. Why would we need another 22yo CDM from France? We need an experienced player in midfield we already have young players in JJ, Kamara, Chukwuemeka, Iroegbunam

I have no issue with signing another 22 year old to play in midfield.

Yes experience is valuable but it isn't the be all and end all if a better deal is available.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, est1874 said:

It's going to come down to the individual

What are they in it for? Are they thinking purely of their career, of football, are they going to work hard to better themselves etc? Then they'll come to whatever club represents the best option. If they fancy being Billy Big Balls somewhere, if they've got their heads turned by the lifestyle, they'll probably prioritise a move to London. Even if it's to play for Palace or whoever.

I always think of James Milner as a perfect example when this debate comes up. He is often held up as a paragon of a "boring" player who was so dedicated to being the best player he could be that he eschewed the lifestyle: he's tee-total, he trains late, he doesn't wear flashy clothes etc.

Leeds, Newcastle, Villa (twice), Man Citeh, Liverpool. Has never played for a Landan team and never will.

Nearly ran my ex over at a petrol station..... he has other plus points.

• Haha 4

34 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I reckon left back next signing. 

The links would certainly say so. But think it'll hinge on moving Targett out and think he'll be wanting to wait around for Newcastle whilst they assess their other, better options.

We can afford to buy but it would be silly to wind up with Digne, Targett and a Newbie on our books come start of the season.

So unless Newcastle make it clear quickly they don't want him, I think we'll sit on a new LB until July time.

I think we'll see one of Dougie or Sanson move fairly quickly, making another CM our next signing. Unless a contract renewal for Carney or Dougie appears.

6 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Will be a good battle with Palace next season. Like us they struggle with not having a reliable CF. Edouard started the season but he was just bench warming end of the season, Mateta chips win with a few goals but not really the quality to get them into europe. Conor Gallagher will be a big miss aswell but rest of their team looks exciting with Eze and Olise in mdfield and pretty good backline that conceded less than us.

The Missus supports them so don't really want to be paying for another big meal out in the who finishes higher end of season bet again.😂

I can think of much more entertaining bets with the Missus that wouldn't impact the bank account :)

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, paul514 said:

I have no issue with signing another 22 year old to play in midfield.

Yes experience is valuable but it isn't the be all and end all if a better deal is available.

It is the critical factor when you look at the makeup of our midfield and the expected loss of Luiz and Sanson. We need the right balance and signing of Doucoure makes absolutely zero sense when we'll have just McGinn as our only experienced midfielder at the club. 

Just now, CVByrne said:

It is the critical factor when you look at the makeup of our midfield and the expected loss of Luiz and Sanson. We need the right balance and signing of Doucoure makes absolutely zero sense when we'll have just McGinn as our only experienced midfielder at the club. 

It totally isn't.

Sorry but if we signed Bellingham (18 turns 19 in a month) and Rice (Turned 23 a few months ago) to play in our midfield there wouldn't be an issue 

15 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Vast majority of foreign players love it there. Go on Douglas Luiz insta and he's got loads of jaunts down to London on there, same for Buendia when he was at Norwich so it's all the endless entertainment on offer, restaurants and even anonymity. 

I remember someone - Les Ferdinand maybe - saying the big difference between London and other British cities for a footballer is you’re not a big deal in London. There are about 12 professional clubs plus actors, singers, models - celebrities are ten a penny and you’re left alone, versus when he went to Newcastle and had people obsessing over him every time he tried to have a meal in a restaurant or a trip to the cinema.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

I remember someone - Les Ferdinand maybe - saying the big difference between London and other British cities for a footballer is you’re not a big deal in London. There are about 12 professional clubs plus actors, singers, models - celebrities are ten a penny and you’re left alone, versus when he went to Newcastle and had people obsessing over him every time he tried to have a meal in a restaurant or a trip to the cinema.

Explains why Jack Grealish pursued Manchester over London then.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1