Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

8 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

Thinking about it, if the world is lacking decent strikers we could palm Ings off with little effort and let Archer get up to speed 

Found this gem of a striker on https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/statistik/topscorer. 20 goals in 27 games. 20 year old. Sign him up 
image.thumb.png.ab3ff654a4199992c78bd3c8a207bf26.png

image.png

Edited by messi11

23 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Why? 

London, money, European football

They've got that lacazette wage to spend and an open spot at number 9, they'll still be a huge draw 

Just a joke from last season when someone said they’d be amazed if we signed Buendia over Arsenal.

2 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

I'm probably going to get hammered from all sides for this but I don't think Tammy is a top striker. Maybe he will get there, but i haven't seen it yet. People say he looks stronger and faster, but of course he would! He is playing in a league where players are physically weaker and slower on average than the premier league, and the game itself is slower (premier league defenders are beasts almost every team has a guy with pace at CB, and they're all strong). Even when Vialli, Zola, Bergkamp, and Ravanelli came to England from Serie A, the pace and physicality made it very hard for Vialli and Ravanelli to adapt (Zola and Bergkamp were just too intelligent for the neanderthals of the premier league), and that was when Serie A was the better league. Tammy is still a penalty box striker primarily. for him to become a top striker he has to become absolutely lethal with his finishing, and he's not at that level yet. I don't believe Tammy is the answer.

I said this, this time last year, Tammy is not better than Ollie Watkins. Better at sniffing out chances, slightly better than Ollie in terms of finishing, but work rate, pace, hold up play Ollie is better. They are different players at a similar level. We went out and bought Ings, who is another at basically the same level as Ollie and Tammy and all it really did was negatively impact Ollie's form. He added very little. Not because he isn't a fine player, but that he isn't complimentary stylistically to Ollie, and isn't any better to justify displacing Ollie. The same still applies to Tammy. 

We need better than Tammy, not that he isn't good, just the level we are talking here is, almost world class, there are too few of these players around let alone willing to come to Villa. It is seriously ambitious for us to try and bring in the quality of centre forward that will improve the team. They need to be quick, hardworking, good at pressing, have a lovely first touch, good link up play, excellent movement and clinical in front of goal. Ollie has 3 of these, and apart from the first touch the other 3 are still at a decent level (but not quite there).

Schick has been mentioned, he has a lovely touch, good link up play, can be clinical in front of goal too, but the work rate, pressing, speed are all lacking, plus his movement won't cut it in this league. None of the strikers Paul mentioned except maybe Nunez is near the level we need (not to say they won't be in the future, but currently they aren't there), and even Nunez is known for having a poor first touch as he weakness! 

I hope we can find the striker to take us to the next level, but this summer i can't see it happening. We need European football and 70 million to spend on that one position to give ourselves a semblance of a chance. 

I know where @paul514 is coming from, as our only chance is to find the diamond in the rough that we cen successfully polish. However that is a difficult and expensive game to play when it comes to centre forwards, odds are we lose that bet. Do we roll the dice, or try to get by with what we have for another season and attack it from a stronger position (hopefully) next summer?

No hammering from me. I agree with u. And the fact that he is not a Villa player today suggests the Villa management agree too

3 hours ago, messi11 said:

Welcome to the club Frank Etouga

I suspect that when a gem from the Nigerian league has 5 penalties in his YT highlights that he may not be the clinical goal scorer we are looking for. Tonev had better highlights than that

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

He did well goals wise for a team that got relegated. 

Think he had one goal after Christmas. Not saying which team he scored against 

Was a reason Bruges rated him less than Wesley 

4 hours ago, paul514 said:

I wanted him last summer instead of Ings I'd be more tempted on Ekitike.

However if you sign Tammy you do know you are sorted in the position, for sure

Ekitike is going to Newcastle, isn't he?

42 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

I'm probably going to get hammered from all sides for this but I don't think Tammy is a top striker. Maybe he will get there, but i haven't seen it yet. People say he looks stronger and faster, but of course he would! He is playing in a league where players are physically weaker and slower on average than the premier league, and the game itself is slower (premier league defenders are beasts almost every team has a guy with pace at CB, and they're all strong). Even when Vialli, Zola, Bergkamp, and Ravanelli came to England from Serie A, the pace and physicality made it very hard for Vialli and Ravanelli to adapt (Zola and Bergkamp were just too intelligent for the neanderthals of the premier league), and that was when Serie A was the better league. Tammy is still a penalty box striker primarily. for him to become a top striker he has to become absolutely lethal with his finishing, and he's not at that level yet. I don't believe Tammy is the answer.

I said this, this time last year, Tammy is not better than Ollie Watkins. Better at sniffing out chances, slightly better than Ollie in terms of finishing, but work rate, pace, hold up play Ollie is better. They are different players at a similar level. We went out and bought Ings, who is another at basically the same level as Ollie and Tammy and all it really did was negatively impact Ollie's form. He added very little. Not because he isn't a fine player, but that he isn't complimentary stylistically to Ollie, and isn't any better to justify displacing Ollie. The same still applies to Tammy. 

We need better than Tammy, not that he isn't good, just the level we are talking here is, almost world class, there are too few of these players around let alone willing to come to Villa. It is seriously ambitious for us to try and bring in the quality of centre forward that will improve the team. They need to be quick, hardworking, good at pressing, have a lovely first touch, good link up play, excellent movement and clinical in front of goal. Ollie has 3 of these, and apart from the first touch the other 3 are still at a decent level (but not quite there).

Schick has been mentioned, he has a lovely touch, good link up play, can be clinical in front of goal too, but the work rate, pressing, speed are all lacking, plus his movement won't cut it in this league. None of the strikers Paul mentioned except maybe Nunez is near the level we need (not to say they won't be in the future, but currently they aren't there), and even Nunez is known for having a poor first touch as he weakness! 

I hope we can find the striker to take us to the next level, but this summer i can't see it happening. We need European football and 70 million to spend on that one position to give ourselves a semblance of a chance. 

I know where @paul514 is coming from, as our only chance is to find the diamond in the rough that we cen successfully polish. However that is a difficult and expensive game to play when it comes to centre forwards, odds are we lose that bet. Do we roll the dice, or try to get by with what we have for another season and attack it from a stronger position (hopefully) next summer?

I'd stick with what we have unless there is a good bet. 25m for Ekitike is a good bet. Do I expect much in 2022/23? No but over the next 3 years sure.

For what it is worth I think Tammy is a similar level to Watkins but like you say they are different players with different attributes. I think Tammy is much more suited to what we need.

3 minutes ago, VillaHatesMe said:

Yeah, but Reims accepted an offer from Newcastle for him yesterday.

Dunno, I saw 25 from Newcastle, we could match that if we wanted.

Just now, paul514 said:

I'd stick with what we have unless there is a good bet. 25m for Ekitike is a good bet. Do I expect much in 2022/23? No but over the next 3 years sure.

For what it is worth I think Tammy is a similar level to Watkins but like you say they are different players with different attributes. I think Tammy is much more suited to what we need.

My dream is to sell Ollie to Hammers for 40m and McGinn to someone for 30m, so that is 70m in and a hell of a lot of wages saved and add 30m to that and sign Darwin Nunez for 100m and announce to the world that Villa mean serious ***** business

2 minutes ago, paul514 said:

Dunno, I saw 25 from Newcastle, we could match that if we wanted.

I'm not sure about the rules about posting links, but The Guardian says it's been agreed to and Ekitikie is expected to sign a 5-year deal soon.