Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

1 hour ago, The_Steve said:

We are in a far stronger position to offer higher wages now we are a fully established league team. That was a major barrier we had coming up compared to other established teams in the league. A lot of potential players aren’t going to be looking at the table and changing their minds I’m sure. 

From an FFP perspective I believe they’ll look at 3 years of Premier league turnover now which will help. Agree being 10th or 14th isn’t going to make a difference.  Player joins for money and the ambitions of the club. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, PerryBarrPet said:

Spot on. Money talks.

In the case of Palace so does london

They've done well to sign Olise and Eze but money and league position didn't come in to it

There's a lot of factors in it, I'd hope we aren't all fishing in the same pond too

Just now, Steero113 said:

I really don't think the league position will be as big of a factor as people are making out. 

Clearly, if it was Champions League or Europa it would make a difference, but the difference between 9th and 14th? Nah. 

Do you think signings are going to be put off of signing for Newcastle who are finishing 12th for example? Not a chance. 

Do you think signings are going to be put off of signing for Newcastle who are finishing 12th for example? Yes, the quality ones will.  Newcastle won’t be buying the high quality ones they’ll be buying young quality prospects for fat salaries or declining stars for fat final salaries.

“I really don't think the league position will be as big of a factor as people are making out. “ we aren’t European placed, we aren’t top ten, we are bottom half at 14th.  Even comparing to the likes of Palace is almost our level, we have the big club thing but they have the London thing but both have the ex player named manager.  It’s because of things like being 14th that will hinder us!

• Confused 1
  • Shocked 1

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

In the case of Palace so does london

They've done well to sign Olise and Eze but money and league position didn't come in to it

There's a lot of factors in it, I'd hope we aren't all fishing in the same pond too

London is a big factor but the way I see it is if player wants to join Palace to live in London rather than join us and challenge top 6 then he probably isn’t the right character anyway.

• Like 2

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

London is a big factor but the way I see it is if player wants to join Palace to live in London rather than join us and challenge top 6 then he probably isn’t the right character anyway.

Well that’s likely half the foreign transfer market out.  Either based in London or European football will be a key requirement.  The ones that only come for money you want to avoid as well.

Just now, nick76 said:

Well that’s likely half the foreign transfer market out.  Either based in London or European football will be a key requirement.  The ones that only come for money you want to avoid as well.

There’s not really anything we can do about that. 

42 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

By sounds of it, we want to get one free transfer in so the funds can be used for the other roles. Which makes a lot of sense.

I think we've Suarez, Kamara and Tarkowski. It's also why we went after Ginter too. 

We'll then have our list of players for those positions who are under contract too and if we fail to land the position on a free we'll pursue the list

I think we'll be looking at more than one - Chambers has come in for nothing, and given us a good option at the back, and a passible DCM for games against the lower teams.

Imagine if we could get Tarkowski and Kamara on frees, maybe even Suarez as a reserve (personally, I'm a long way from convinced about the last one). We could sell Hause and maybe Sanson - bring in £10m-£20m in fees, save some wages, which could fund their wages for their whole contract, whilst strengthening the squad. Literally - free upgrades!

Signs of a well run club is being able to pick up the bargains. As many Citeh fans pointed out - they bought Grealish (or maybe should've bought Kane) for less than they'd made on selling academy players over the past 2 or 3 years.

6 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

The way we're playing it will be a long time before we are challenging top 6.

6 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Do you think signings are going to be put off of signing for Newcastle who are finishing 12th for example? Yes, the quality ones will.  Newcastle won’t be buying the high quality ones they’ll be buying young quality prospects for fat salaries or declining stars for fat final salaries.

“I really don't think the league position will be as big of a factor as people are making out. “ we aren’t European placed, we aren’t top ten, we are bottom half at 14th.  Even comparing to the likes of Palace is almost our level, we have the big club thing but they have the London thing but both have the ex player named manager.  It’s because of things like being 14th that will hinder us!

Nonsense, Newcastle got Brazilian international and 24 year old Bruno Guimaraes when they were in a relegation scrap!

Or are you trying to tell me that he's not quality?

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

From an FFP perspective I believe they’ll look at 3 years of Premier league turnover now which will help. Agree being 10th or 14th isn’t going to make a difference.  Player joins for money and the ambitions of the club. 

I did read on the Athletic that Villa players are paid bonuses for every place above 14th they finish in the league. So one imagines a large chink of the 2.2m per place would go to the players. So ending exactly 14th probably doesn't cost us a huge amount in lost profits vs 11th. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

Nonsense, Newcastle got Brazilian international and 24 year old Bruno Guimaraes when they were in a relegation scrap!

Or are you trying to tell me that he's not quality?

Oh wow, you got one! What about all the others that said no to Newcastle in January…you can go back and check that!  Anyway he wasn’t free!

Edited by nick76
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Pez1974 said:

I think we'll be looking at more than one - Chambers has come in for nothing, and given us a good option at the back, and a passible DCM for games against the lower teams.

Imagine if we could get Tarkowski and Kamara on frees, maybe even Suarez as a reserve (personally, I'm a long way from convinced about the last one). We could sell Hause and maybe Sanson - bring in £10m-£20m in fees, save some wages, which could fund their wages for their whole contract, whilst strengthening the squad. Literally - free upgrades!

Signs of a well run club is being able to pick up the bargains. As many Citeh fans pointed out - they bought Grealish (or maybe should've bought Kane) for less than they'd made on selling academy players over the past 2 or 3 years.

I think if I read between the lines. Gerrard seems confident we have a free signing lined up. So hopefully we have one lined up.

I think Hause will go on loan as he's only just signed a new contract. Loaning players out to play regular football while receiving a loan fee is the best way to move talented players on. Hause is a PL level CB and a season on loan with a club like Fulham would show that. Think of Davis if we had sold last summer vs this summer

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Oh wow, you got one! What about all the others that said no to Newcastle in January…you can go back and check that!  Anyway he wasn’t free!

What the hell are you talking about? You said categorically that they couldn't attract quality. 

There is the quality and there will be more in the summer. 

I agree with most of the stuff you post Nick, but you are miles out on this one. 

5 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

What the hell are you talking about? You said categorically that they couldn't attract quality. 

There is the quality and there will be more in the summer. 

I agree with most of the stuff you post Nick, but you are miles out on this one. 

They will be a more attractive prospect than us in the summer. They have a 'project' as well and can offer more wages.  I think it will be a long time before we finish above them again.  

5 minutes ago, duke313 said:

They will be a more attractive prospect than us in the summer. They have a 'project' as well and can offer more wages.  I think it will be a long time before we finish above them again.  

I think we’ll finish above them next season.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Based on what?

I don’t see their squad being anything better than ours. I also have faith in our recruitment, I believe we’ll be well placed to be very competitive next season. I imagine they’ll sign a lot more players than us and as we have all seen, that takes time to take effect. 3/4 quality additions is all we need. IMO.

Edited by 7392craig
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, 7392craig said:

I don’t see their squad being anything better than ours. I also have faith in our recruitment, I believe we’ll be well placed to be very competitive next season. I imagine they’ll sign a lot more players than us and as we have all seen, that takes time to take effect. 3/4 quality additions is all we need. IMO.

So you think Newcastle will sign a lot of players and they won't gel, but we will sign a lot of players and the magically will gel?

3 minutes ago, duke313 said:

So you think Newcastle will sign a lot of players and they won't gel, but we will sign a lot of players and the magically will gel?

I think what he's saying is that as it stands, our starting point in terms of squad quality is much, much higher. 

The only players from their squad I would take would be Guimaraes, ASM, Joelinton 2022 and possibly Wilson. 

We have grossly underachieved this season for the players we have. 

Edited by Steero113
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1